Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 46,896 times

Advertisements

I have lived in a rural California town for all my life. I am thinking of leaving after I graduate because I hate it here for these reasons:

1. Air is arid, polluted, and dry
2. no rain, no snow, lowest temp i've seen here is 20 above 0.
3. Job market, sucks frankly.
4. Cost of living doesn't equal the rate of pay
5. I just need a change

Ok, I have more but these will do, my questions:

1. My degree will be in English with a minor in Journalism, any prospects for jobs in Maine for this kind of education?

2. Living costs, how much would you say someone would have to make to pay the rent? I am basically coming with the clothes on my back and a few thousand in the bank.

3. I am cool with cold weather. I actually prefer it. However, is there any dangerous weather? Hurricanes, snowstorms, tornados?

4. Are the people nice?

5. Are there any video game companies nearby, I was thinking about being a tester.

Any other advice would help me a lot! Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
There are limited opportunities as Maine's job market is poor also. However, that does not mean you could not come here and work...it just might be the exact job you want. When I here English and journalism as a major I think of teaching, and that is "probably" where you would have the best opportunity to find work and decent pay.

Maine is not cheapest place to live nor is it the most expensive. I think where in Maine will have the greatest impact on cost of living though I cannot imagine it being any more expensive than california...the worst case scenerio would be that it is similiar.

if you live in Portland your rent can vary (size,condition,location) from $600 and up for a monthly rent. A decent one bedroom in a decent area I would expect it to be about $800.00 A standard pay range for teacher is 30k-50k with a few schools less and a few schools more.

So, you do not like the town you're in. Have you thought about different locations but still in california...or even trying out Oregon or washington. Why Maine?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:27 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
A liberal arts degree anywhere these days can be iffy in the current job market. It might be best to bone up on some courses in health care, and in Maine Senior and Social Services, and education.

Maine's economy relies much in tourism, services, health care, and education.
Cost of living will be lower then the central valley. The environment will be much cleaner however.

Rents will start at bout $600 a month. Weather along the coast will be the mildest- there is snow, some years more then 75" some years less then that. Summers and autumns are most pleasant. Hurricanes striking Maine are uncommon-tornadoes are rare.

New Englanders can be called, dry, reserved, caring, aloof, honest and good hearted.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:32 PM

I'm not sure. Looking at pictures of Maine makes me think it is a beautiful place to live and it has an outdoorsy feel to it. My friend who went there about a couple years ago told me that land is fairly cheap there and that the area she stayed at was beautiful. I love the outdoors so I kind of went with the idea in my head. Hearing that the rent is almost identical to where I live makes me think that a starter home might be better if I saved up and stayed where I live for a couple more years. I could teach for a while and write on the side.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:03 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeDante View Post
I'm not sure. Looking at pictures of Maine makes me think it is a beautiful place to live and it has an outdoorsy feel to it. My friend who went there about a couple years ago told me that land is fairly cheap there and that the area she stayed at was beautiful. I love the outdoors so I kind of went with the idea in my head. Hearing that the rent is almost identical to where I live makes me think that a starter home might be better if I saved up and stayed where I live for a couple more years. I could teach for a while and write on the side.
Good luck-Maine is a beautiful state- land and real estate around Bangor is a bargain.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:51 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
For you: "life is an oyster".

Where in California did you grow up?

I was raised near Modesto, between there and Fresno, and spent a lot of time in Yosemite.

I am very happy to have settled in Maine.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:58 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
id research the job market in maine , see whats available or what opportunities are open...
there's much of maine beyond portland, portland is one of the priciest areas.
id think in the bangor area, which is just not the city of bangor but many surrounding towns,,,you could probly rent a house for 5-800 a month.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:

Maine is a beautifull state you can always come here and see how it works. No harm in dreaming a little...it might be everything you want...or a few years might be enough to fill your desire of getting away and you might be ready to do something else.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
For you: "life is an oyster".

Where in California did you grow up?

I was raised near Modesto, between there and Fresno, and spent a lot of time in Yosemite.

I am very happy to have settled in Maine.
Thank you.

I grew up and still live in Bakersfield. I have camped in Yosemite for a couple days, best couple of days of my life.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:

I grew up and still live in Bakersfield.
Oh god, sorry.

I am from Sacramento myself, now living in Portland, ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine