Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean1965 View Post
Where do you stay the night on the drive up?

Our sales tax is over 9% but we don't have state income tax or personal property tax.

What are winters like in WV and have you been through a winter in Maine yet? Our friends keep telling us that we are crazy for even considering the move because of the winters but the reality is I don't get out here in July or August because it's so hot. Seems like a good trade off to me!
In Ohio, we've got 6.5% sales tax, property tax and income tax.. grr!!! (no vehicle tax though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:48 PM

115 posts, read 319,296 times
I will be graduating physical therapy school in May 2010 and I am considering a move to Maine, Colorado and Oregon. I have a wife and a 4 year old. My wife has a bachelors degree in finance/accounting. I have been researching jobs in the Maine area. I feel that my wife and I can make between $80,000 to $110,000 per year. I am from TN (currently live in northeast PA for school). I was wondering if anyone from TN has relocated to the area and if so how was the transition? I don't think that the snow will be an issue for me. My wife has expressed that she would like to stay in an area where the Summer temps are at least 80 degrees. Is this doable in the coastal areas. I have researched the temps on city data but I have found them to be less than reliable. I would like to hear from some people who actually live in the area. Is the salary I mentioned adequate for Maine? My wife and I are really up in the air about were we should live when I graduate (May 2010). I love the pictures of Maine that I have seen on this forum. My family and I are planning a road trip to the Maine area in June 2009. Is there anything that I should definitely see or definitely not miss while I am there? We will be in the area for about 4-5 days. I appreciate any help that can be given.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"My wife has expressed that she would like to stay in an area where the Summer temps are at least 80 degrees. Is this doable in the coastal areas."

The coast is cool. There is a cool sea breeze just about every afternoon. However, 25 miles inland you can get your 80 degrees.

I'm a big fan of physical therapists since I tore my shoulder apart 4 years ago today. 18 months later I had 100% range of motion and strength. We call the local physical therapy emporium "Helga's House of Pain", but they do produce results.

I was in the hills of Virginia last week at this time. We were at 2,900 feet elevation and the weather was delightful.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:10 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I guess that we need more 'physical therapists'.

I was once in a love/hate relationship with a physical therapist. I had fractured 7 bones in my hand and separated my wrist; and after 8 months in a partial cast, this physical therapist was making me do so many things that really hurt. But I guess that it was worth the pain, after the painful parts were done.

So I guess your okay

Old 08-15-2008, 07:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
I'm in Mid-Coast Maine (next to Belfast.) It's been cooler lately, 60-65 degrees but today was warmer. Many days do get past 80 degrees but come dark, you might even need a sweater.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 PM

Physical therapy can definitely be a painful process. I am glad to hear that you had a successful outcome. I have been in the field for 9+ years. I truly love what I do. I have a physical therapist friend in TN who has a son that moved to Maine at the age of 18 to work on a lobster ship. He has been there for 2 years now. My friend says that it took her son over 6 months to get a job because the community he moved to was so distrustful of outsiders. I can not remember the name of the town. However, she says that he loves it now and would never consider moving back. Thank you for all of your responses.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I'm in Mid-Coast Maine (next to Belfast.) It's been cooler lately, 60-65 degrees but today was warmer. Many days do get past 80 degrees but come dark, you might even need a sweater.

I love the cooler nights. I enjoy sleeping when the weather is chilly outside. I like to open the windows and let the cool night air in. That is as long as it is 50 degrees or warmer. I do not miss the TN Summers. 100+ degree days with 90+ % humidity.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"My wife has expressed that she would like to stay in an area where the Summer temps are at least 80 degrees. Is this doable in the coastal areas."

The coast is cool. There is a cool sea breeze just about every afternoon. However, 25 miles inland you can get your 80 degrees.

I'm a big fan of physical therapists since I tore my shoulder apart 4 years ago today. 18 months later I had 100% range of motion and strength. We call the local physical therapy emporium "Helga's House of Pain", but they do produce results.

I was in the hills of Virginia last week at this time. We were at 2,900 feet elevation and the weather was delightful.
What part of Virginia were you in? Were you close to the Blue ridge parkway? Beautiful area. I lived in East TN for 3 years and we would take a ride on the Blue ridge parkway every Fall.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Bean, welcome and good luck on your house hunt!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptin2010 View Post
Physical therapy can definitely be a painful process. I am glad to hear that you had a successful outcome. I have been in the field for 9+ years. I truly love what I do. I have a physical therapist friend in TN who has a son that moved to Maine at the age of 18 to work on a lobster ship. He has been there for 2 years now. My friend says that it took her son over 6 months to get a job because the community he moved to was so distrustful of outsiders. I can not remember the name of the town. However, she says that he loves it now and would never consider moving back. Thank you for all of your responses.
Let me clarify what I meant before someone thinks that I was trying to be rude or slanderous. The community he moved to was used to young men coming to the area and looking for the adventure of working on a lobster ship. They were also fed up with going through the trouble of training the men only to have them quit 2-3 weeks later. So when my friend's son asked for work nobody would hire him to work on the ships. He got work before 6 months doing something else but it took him 6 months to get work on a ship. After the ship captains saw that he was serious about staying in the area and he prove himself to be a good worker around town they hired him. I know this is lengthy and I apologize but I did not want to offend anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine