Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,298 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Maine, but I really need help choosing a school to transfer to since I'm not from the area. Probably a public school because private might be too expensive.. however, I'll still have to pay out of state tuition, so if they're close in price it would be fine. Ok, so this is what I'm looking for:

-Smaller school- I want that small school feel, preferably in a smallish town as well ( but not so small that the academic selection suffers.. )

-Recreation- Lots of it. Which schools are closest to the most activities - skiing mostly- and which schools' students actually participate regularly? (Actually go on weekend trips, etc.)

As far as academic programs go, I can figure that out for the most part. What I'm really searching for is what the students are like at each of the schools and which ones you guys would recommend?

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 02:32 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
Maybe the University of Maine in Farmington...smallish school, but nice town. It's near Sugarloaf, so lots of skiing.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 PM

222 posts, read 529,848 times
Default Colby

Colby College is small and very nice-while it is private-it is on par with the out of state fees. You will love the area-close enough to Portland-yet far enough away to get the Maine experience. check it out! As for public University of Maine Orono is very cool and it is a fun school to attend as well-many of my students are going there in the fall!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:07 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
It really depends on your major, but the first school that came to mind based on your general description was UMF, as mentioned by Mainer.

Colby is an excellent school located in Waterville, but there is no local skiing. The very closest would be Eaton Mtn in Skowhegan and that is a very small facility. Locally, Colby is viewed as elitist but it regularly makes "best college" lists and it would be worth a look.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Univ. of Maine at Orono is a small campus, Hermon Mountain has skiing.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
My son will be attending UMO this fall, my daught goes to USM. By New England standards UMO with about 10,000 students I would classify as a large university.

If price and a public school is what your looking for. I second UMF, University of Maine at Farmington. It's in a rural setting so if you like the outdoors it's great. For more of suburban setting I like USM, Gorham.

There are a few other small public Maine colleges up north but I don't know much about them.

I went to a small private college in Vermont(69-73) for my undergrad degree, I remember the total cost was about $6000, the small private colleges in New England now start at $30,000

Old 05-20-2008, 03:48 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
My son will be attending UMO this fall, my daught goes to USM. By New England standards UMO with about 10,000 students I would classify as a large university.

If price and a public school is what your looking for. I second UMF, University of Maine at Farmington. It's in a rural setting so if you like the outdoors it's great. For more of suburban setting I like USM, Gorham.

There are a few other small public Maine colleges up north but I don't know much about them.

I went to a small private college in Vermont(69-73) for my undergrad degree, I remember the total cost was about $6000, the small private colleges in New England now start at $30,000

I went to UMO. It is a big school, but, depending on your major, the class sizes can be quite small. In the engineering section that I went through, there was a group of 15 of us in most of our core classes.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:46 AM

474 posts, read 1,417,253 times
Colby College gets my vote!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
Colby College gets my vote!
Mine too, but I could be a little biased.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:51 AM

41 posts, read 127,811 times
"Colby College is small and very nice-while it is private-it is on par with the out of state fees."

MaineMathTCHER,

Not sure how you conclude that Colby has similar costs to the Maine state schools.

Colby
Colby College | Admissions & Financial Aid | Financial Aid
$48,520

University of Maine Orono
The University of Maine - Office of Undergraduate Admission - Finance a UMaine Education (broken link)
$31,224

University of Maine Farmington
University of Maine Farmington - Expenses
$21,744

(Figures include room and board)

Colby (like most private schools) largely offers loans to middle class Americans, so unless you're broke, you'll be paying most of the $48K yourself.

Farmington is by far the best financial deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine