Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Ran across this ol' gal tonight out fishing. It is tied up at the commercial docks and when I took the boys over to see the Carferry leave on it's run tonight I noticed this tug.

Look at the name plate with it's home port listed. It looks like they might have bought her for scrap parts for the tugs they run already. Wondered if anybody here might remember the tug from Rockland area.
Thanks for your post. Bittersweet... When I was a kid my family went on vacation to Nova Scotia (I'm from Washington DC) and we drove to Bar Harbor and took the Bluenose CN Ferry over. It was the first time i was ever on a big ship and the first time I was on one that got out of sight of land for several hours. This was during the 60's.

Come forward to the 80's when working for the US Navy, I was in the frequently visited Electric Boat shipyard in Groton CT. Next to the pier where my sub project was, the next one over was a large surface ship with blue hull and a big side door opened revealing a brightly lit shop inside. Upon further inspection I saw the name Bluenose high up on her bow. My god!! This was the grand ship that took this little kid and his parents on that unforgetable vacation. And now this ocean going ferry was a shop ship, her decks full of construction facilities supporting the submarine building at EB that was going 24/7 during the 80's. I felt both a little sad, and also happy to see a grand old friend from the past. I see, sadly from the Wiki page that she was scrapped in 2000.

Now days in Maine you all have the Cat which I imagine is great fun. Thanks Bydand for your pictures of another grand lady from the past

Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
Thanks for the nice memories of the Bluenose, Scott!

Molly, I'm glad your new baby is fitting in well with the rest of the pack. Sounds like you've got a nice dog there. Good for you, good for the dog!
Excellant!

Old 08-09-2008, 05:27 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
I found out more about the Tug I saw yesterday. Here is a link: Northeastern Maritime Historical Foundation - Snohomish WYTM 98

Kind of a cool story. So glad she wasn't bought for scrap, and it looks like it is destined for a refit and restoration. Very happy to see that happen to one these old workhorses who generally end up tied up to piling's until they are ready to sink due to neglect, and then sold for scrap metal.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:28 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,201,046 times
Talking Hello BYDAND! :0) Wow! :0) Congrats! :0) WOOHOO!!

CONRATULATIONS BYDAND!

CONGRATS ON YOUR STAR SHINING SO BRIGHT!

YOU HAVE DEFINITELY EARNED IT WELL!

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE GREAT POSTS & ADVICE!

I APPRECIATE IT ALL!

CHEERS TO YA!

Take good care!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND FULL OF SUNSHINE!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I found out more about the Tug I saw yesterday. Here is a link: Northeastern Maritime Historical Foundation - Snohomish WYTM 98

Kind of a cool story. So glad she wasn't bought for scrap, and it looks like it is destined for a refit and restoration. Very happy to see that happen to one these old workhorses who generally end up tied up to piling's until they are ready to sink due to neglect, and then sold for scrap metal.

Last edited by countrylv22; 08-09-2008 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU! :0) ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY! :0) PAY IT FORWARD! :0) PEACE! :0):0):0):0)

Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Thank you! Noticed it this morning when I logged on. Kind of a nice surprise.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Congratulations Scott!! It looks great on you!! Thanks for the info on the tug too....very interesting history there

Jennie, the new dog, had a wonderful night last night! She didn't get up until I did this morning--at least not that I know of! Thank you CG for the information on the collar--I think I'd like that even better than a harness, as it would aid in training not to pull, whereas the harness really doesn't help me out in that area! Jennie has some very interesting markings around her head....and the fur around her face is a soft gray color, compared to the usual black and white border collie color on the rest of her body. I'll try to get a pic of her and post it in a bit. She's so sweet you guys!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:55 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
How rowdy is your livingroom today!?! I bet they're having a blast.

Mine made a new friend but being guard dogs, it took six weeks for them to not growl at him.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
OMG! Are they feathered out yet? Can they go out? They're soooo loud! I misunderstood. When I ordered the meat chicks I thought they were being shipped today and would be here Monday. They arrived today. The post office called as I was getting ready to leave. I was going to buy their food this afternoon. There are 49 hungry chicks making a racket in the great room now.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:30 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
OMG! Are they feathered out yet? Can they go out? They're soooo loud! I misunderstood. When I ordered the meat chicks I thought they were being shipped today and would be here Monday. They arrived today. The post office called as I was getting ready to leave. I was going to buy their food this afternoon. There are 49 hungry chicks making a racket in the great room now.
Wow!

They look great!

Um, this is August.

9 August in fact. uh, we ordered our chickens in the spring. So they have had all summer to run in the forest and to grow big.

We plan to go through them in November for a big culling party, and introduce many of them to our chest freezer.

Isn't this a bit late to be getting your chicks?

They look great though

Old 08-09-2008, 09:34 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Robin Katy wants to know when she can come see them! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine