Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 16,428 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I've been reading the posts for a while now, and decided it was time to show my face, so to speak.

Anyway, I currently live in Southeastern Pennsylvania in the middle of Cheshire hunt countryside, a beautiful spot, but the area has just become too crowded and too expensive. So I'm searching, like many others, for a nice place to live.

I've been to Maine a couple of times (Bangor, Ellsworth, Bar Harbor), and I really loved it. But I want to take a trip up to Eastport to see what it is like, but I don't want to hit any vacatin traffic or a lot of tourists in the town when I go.

I was wondering when the last days of summer are in Eastport. Can I visit at the end of September or is that too late?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can share....

Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,799 times
September here is wonderful - warm days, cool nights - we don't get many tourists during the summer here except for the 4th of July and the Salmon Festival in September. Today, here, it is warm, sunny with a light sea breeze.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 16,428 times
Thanks corgis. I noticed on the web that there was a pirate festival in Sept. 2007. Was that a one-off festival or is it scheduled for this year also? How was last years?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:14 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
The pirate festival is the same weekend as the Salmon Festival.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 AM

400 posts, read 795,062 times
Hey DB!! My wife and I live in Reading PA and are going up to Eastport in the middle of July. From what we've heard here and what I've garnered from friends on MySpace we're actually considering moving there sight unseen. We wanted to vacation during a week when not much was going on so that we could get more of a feel for the town. You may want to take that into consideration, too.

BTW - I used to live in Kimberton, moved to Reading to get away from the congestion, and it's followed us here. I understand what you're talking about.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Peak of our foliage season is the first full week of October. People make it out OK without a blizzard following them down the Maine Pike.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,620 times
I don't think you could go wrong in Eastport. End of story. Jobs are scarce, but the people, and the scenery are magnificant. I told my DW last year when I took her to Eastport for the first time that she would love it. She said she felt immediately at home. She is there for the summer in our house, while I am working here in Florida for a few more days before I go back again. This summer I am commuting between Florida and Maine due to a work schedule. A couple of weeks here, then a few days there, back and forth.

Danny, you guys will love the town! You know I have just never found all the people mentioned on my space. Most of what I saw was people looking for people. I must be on the wrong part of myspace.....

Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
I came up from NC to the Bangor area for a week last Sept, around the fall equinox, and it was loverly.... camping out, me and the dogs.

Didn't get to the coast though I wanted to..

I would recommend that time of year, from my experience inland, at least.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 AM

400 posts, read 795,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Danny, you guys will love the town! You know I have just never found all the people mentioned on my space. Most of what I saw was people looking for people. I must be on the wrong part of myspace.....
If you go to the friends option on your toolbar and click on browse it'll bring up a menu - you can set the criteria to browse for both, the widest age range and located in, say, 5 miles from Eastport's zip. Brought up a bunch for me and I was able to add 15 friends who were helpful, and one that I message with almost daily. Between city data and MySpace I've gotten great info.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,620 times
Thanks....I will try it this evening! Glad we could help. We researched for weeks before visiting Eastport. I had visited Eastport in the early 80's, so I knew what a gem it is. My DW started loving the town while we were driving the causeway to Eastport. There is something about a town that doesn't have a traffic signal, just stop signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine