Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecruiser View Post
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/...e8a3dc.jpg?v=0

Notice how much she looked down at her notes?
When you are VP (or god-forbid, President), you have no notes to look at.
Nor can you "suspend" being president while you deal with a single issue. Even most republicans agree she's not ready yet to assume the presidency, yet McCain is very old and not particularly healthy. The thought of her as president is scary. Don't think she can't do any harm - look what W has done to this country the past 8 years. All of you ragging on democrats, look objectively at the state the country was in 8 years ago with regard to the economy, war, jobs, housing, etc and look at it now. Do you really want more of the same? Look at where she really stands on issues, like abortion (no case ever, even in rape or incest), abstinence as the only sex-education (gee, that worked for her daughter). Her husband was member of a group that wants Alaska to succede from the union. How can you be president of the USA if you are closely associated with a group that doesn't want to be part of the USA?? (She spoke at their convention just this July) Let's talk about patriotism....hah.

You think McCain who can't remember how many (more than 7) houses he owns, and has 13 cars, can relate to Mainers? Maybe those few who own a mansion on the coast, but I'm thinking the average Mainer is worried about their job, filling the gas tank, heating their home (singular).
It's really a debate for another forum. BUT, When you elect a president, your not just putting one man in office who is then going to single handidly decide the fate of a whole nation. Your really voting for a basic set of ideals and a direction you wish the country to go in. Wether or not the President dies in office willnot....at least IMO...drag a nation to its knees.

Now we can argue that neither of these parties have a real direction that will make this country better....both have failed miserably and neither can be trusted...and mostly it's our fault for buying into this two party system and asking politicians to SOLVE our own personal problems and expecting GOVERNMENT to save us.

But never in a million years would I vote for a libral like Obama (notice how I didn't say democrat) just because i am worried Mccain might have a heart attack and die.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 AM

300 posts, read 758,027 times
Oh, that is rich; a mountain of experience from Obama? He worked in the notoriously corrupt Chicago wards as an "organizer"? He had the time to write not one, but 2 biographies on himself?
I notice you didn't address his racist ties to his pastor or perhaps to the bomber, William Ayers?
Obama is good about talking about himself and spewing forth "yes, we can".
If he gets elected, I suspect he will find out how much he can, or perhaps, cannot do.
How much of that time of his in the US senate was spent authoring legislation, or leading, as opposed to running for yet another office?
If you are not intelligent enough to debate the views of Mrs. Palin without insulting her, don't be surprised if others find ammunition to attack your candidate; after all, he makes a far easier target :-)

Old 10-06-2008, 07:00 AM

121 posts, read 415,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post

Your arguments are weak; if you want to discuss politics, try to be a little less partisan, and a lot more rational.
Oh come on, there's the pot calling the kettle black.

You want to talk religious association -

YouTube - Palin Witchcraft

I could go on and on on McCain's and Palin's negatives. No candidate is perfect. No candidate doesn't have skeletons, we could go back and forth on this ad-infinitum.

It basically comes down to what you believe, what issues are important to you. To me, the economy, women's rights, using diplomacy first instead of having your finger itching to push the button, restoring our credibility in the world, are important. Other people have other issues that they feel are important. You will find arguments to support Palin, I'll find arguments against her and McCain.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
When you are VP (or god-forbid, President), you have no notes to look at.
Whuh???

The President (and the VP) are surrounded by advisors, notes, consultants, experts, etc.

Being President really isn't about being an expert at everything --- or even about being an expert at anything. That's why the Presiden'ts Cabinet is so important, and why Bush's Presidency has been such a train wreck.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:10 AM

121 posts, read 415,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Whuh???

The President (and the VP) are surrounded by advisors, notes, consultants, experts, etc.

Being President really isn't about being an expert at everything --- or even about being an expert at anything. That's why the Presiden'ts Cabinet is so important, and why Bush's Presidency has been such a train wreck.
Hi Mark, I agree - you are right, 95% of the time they have plenty of help. Hopefully whoever is elected will surround themselves with smart people from all sides and be willing to listen and learn. But there's that 5% where you have to think for yourself, off the cuff, when talking to the press, world leaders, etc. That's when you get Bush saying things like "Bring 'em on" to the terrorists.... We need a president who first will do no harm and who can answer simple straightforward questions without having "to get back to us" or consult a lot of people on what to say. Just be honest.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times
Oh where oh where did our moderator go? Oh where oh where can he be?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 AM

461 posts, read 796,954 times
Why? This topic is important to everyone, and so far, no insulting comments. Biting our tongues, or putting on mittens so we can't type, is good practice for anyone discussing politics.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:31 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
Why? This topic is important to everyone, and so far, no insulting comments. Biting our tongues, or putting on mittens so we can't type, is good practice for anyone discussing politics.
Sorry I wasn't criticizing what anyone said or how they said it. The thread started Main specific but has wandered off in to a more general discussion of the presidential race. I was just reading it and wondering if our two regular mods were OK because usually they would have closed this type of thread by now.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Oh come on, there's the pot calling the kettle black.

You want to talk religious association -

YouTube - Palin Witchcraft

I could go on and on on McCain's and Palin's negatives. No candidate is perfect. No candidate doesn't have skeletons, we could go back and forth on this ad-infinitum.

It basically comes down to what you believe, what issues are important to you. To me, the economy, women's rights, using diplomacy first instead of having your finger itching to push the button, restoring our credibility in the world, are important. Other people have other issues that they feel are important. You will find arguments to support Palin, I'll find arguments against her and McCain.
And I could and will go on and on discussing the negatives of Obama, a man who is both far to the left of most Americans and a narcissist to boot.

Woman's rights? Do you mean perhaps someone who would appoint a woman to be Sec. of State (a good one at that), or maybe Vice president?

Using diplomacy first? Perhaps as Clinton did when he ignored massacres in Bosnia and abetted mass murder by not allowing arms to be sold to the Bosnians? Or perhaps when he turned down Bin Laden when he was offered by Sudan as he was worried what kind of precedent that would set?

Restoring credibility? A first-term unaccomplished senator will do that, as opposed to a verifiable foreign policy expert and genuine war hero?

Indeed I will find those arguments to discredit Obama, for he is patently unprepared to be president. McCain is ten times the man he is, and that is not an exageration, merely fact.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hi Mark, I agree - you are right, 95% of the time they have plenty of help. Hopefully whoever is elected will surround themselves with smart people from all sides and be willing to listen and learn. But there's that 5% where you have to think for yourself, off the cuff, when talking to the press, world leaders, etc. That's when you get Bush saying things like "Bring 'em on" to the terrorists.... We need a president who first will do no harm and who can answer simple straightforward questions without having "to get back to us" or consult a lot of people on what to say. Just be honest.
Was Clinton honest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine