Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times

Advertisements

I think you will do fine, and if you have a job lined up, you are good to go.

Happy moving and welcome to Maine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 PM

300 posts, read 758,137 times
OK, I looked it up, as you are with BP it shows a GS-09 journeyman level, with ICE it shows it as a GS-11. That's from USAjobs, I know nothing about the job, but I imagine you will do well as there are so many opportunities in BP lately. They are dying for people who are good workers, like many agencies. :-)

Old 11-02-2008, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,854 times
What are the opinions on the better school systems and housing options in the area? I'll need at least a three bedroom rental and would like it to be in the same area my kids will attend school. Would like something in town and a commute under 30 minutes to Hodgdon. I could buy right away but really want to spend some time getting to know the neighborhoods first. The school system though is my primary concern then I can zero in on a rental property. Thx

Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 AM

973 posts, read 2,382,314 times
I would definitely pick the Houlton school system over Hodgdon. Sector HQ is only 3 miles from downtown Houlton so it's a five minute commute. It's just over the town line in Hodgdon. Hodgdon has become a bedroom community for folks that work in Houlton. Taxes might be a little less there, but not much. Houlton has a great recreation center, hockey rink, movie theater, as well as all the shopping. If you live in Hodgdon, you travel to Houlton for just about everything. Housing in the entire area used to be dirt cheap, but because of the influx of Gov't employees, prices are higher, but still much cheaper than what you probably are seeing in NY.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:02 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,499 times
From what I have heard both school systems are pretty good. My dad and all of his side of the family have graduated from Hodgon and I have a couple of younger cousins in the school system now and they all have seemed quite positive about the schools. My mom's sister has been a teacher in Houlton for years and has the same positive comments about their system. You will probably have an easier time finding a rental in Houlton compared to Hodgdon. Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:58 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
my great great grand father was one of the original members of the frank hunter grand army of the republic post.started during the civil war most of my dad's family still live in the aria.hodgdon has a real small town feel.3 of my uncles worked for the border patrol.there are a number of homes for sale there.i talked to my cousin last night he says that 2 or 3 homes for sale on westfordhill.from the top you can see newbrunswick,houlton and hodgdon.its a nice town and good school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine