Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 PM

37,485 posts, read 61,459,729 times

Advertisements

It does seem like Maine has a high percentage of vets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:23 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,384,778 times
I know Mass doesn't tax military retirement pension income, but the downside to that is you have to live in Mass - yuck. It's amazing such a liberal state has such a generous policy for military retirees....

Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I know Mass doesn't tax military retirement pension income, but the downside to that is you have to live in Mass - yuck. It's amazing such a liberal state has such a generous policy for military retirees....
I am rather torn on that statement.

One state says: "We don't tax military pensions". which does sound nice.

Yet another state has it's standard deduction and exemptions set high enough that no military pension is large enough to be taxed. So they don't tax military pensions either.

Which is better?

Hamburger / cheeseburger?

To-mAto / To-mato

Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 PM

10 posts, read 15,655 times
Please ellaborate on the Maine issue governing military retirement taxing. Thanks

Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatEriEmm View Post
Please ellaborate on the Maine issue governing military retirement taxing. Thanks
Okay, mmm, looking at this thread, I thought the topic was pretty well covered.

Are you over 62 and looking at a reduction in property taxes?

Or a pensioner looking at whether your pension would be taxed?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,090,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I agree!
After Northern Maine Land Man did the math, it sure didn't look too good. The sound of 6K off your total sounded good but when broken down to what it actually amounts to, really isn't very much.
Don't forget to look at the percentage that the dollar figure represents. The lower the valuation of your property, the larger the effect of the reduction.

You can also take advantage of the "homestead" exemption for a further reduction in actual tax paid, as well as other possible exemptions.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 AM

846 posts, read 1,021,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I agree!
After Northern Maine Land Man did the math, it sure didn't look too good. The sound of 6K off your total sounded good but when broken down to what it actually amounts to, really isn't very much. It is sad that states don't do a little more to recognize Veterans other than token gestures or fancy words. Some do a better job than others in the recognition factor but like a lot of other things...praise when you need or want them there..forget them when they served the purpose.
First off I want to thank each one of you for your service too our nation. You didn't run, you stepped up to the task at hand and did your duty like a true patriot. The above is all to sad, but true. God bless every last one of you. If it was within my power you would never pay ANY tax, you gave at the office.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
First off I want to thank each one of you for your service too our nation. You didn't run, you stepped up to the task at hand and did your duty like a true patriot. The above is all to sad, but true. God bless every last one of you. If it was within my power you would never pay ANY tax, you gave at the office.
Your sweet

If you ever run for an office you have my vote.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:58 PM

846 posts, read 1,021,918 times
Not sweet, just a vet that knows how we got the short end. I would never hold public office . Thanks anyway!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
JC3 JC3 started this thread

296 posts, read 825,099 times
Boy, I forgot I even asked the question back in Feb. lol!

Where I lived in NH, and each town varies, a Vet got a $300 exemption off his property tax. Some other towns gave $500 that I know of. If you were rated as 100% disabled you received another $700 which in my town would make you eligible for a $1000 off your tax bill. That is off the bill, not off the appraised value of the property.

If I do the math correctly, you may be eligible to get around $90 off your tax bill if you are rated at 100% in Maine.

I also know someone in Mass who as 100% disabled receives a $1000 every 6 months from the state. That is a check each 6 months.

It is strange how different states handle things like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine