Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times

Advertisements

Mike,

Drove down the street today and took a look. Nice, quiet little side street (a dead end) with homes which appeared cared for and maintained. The one you're interested in also seems well tended. I did not take any additional pics as it seems the one with the listing is better than what I can get from inside my truck.

I'm not sure if it's even mentioned in the listing as I didn't read the particulars, but you will have a decent view of Searsport harbor from a few windows on the south side. Top and bottom floors. Better when the leaves on the neighbors trees have shed. haha A lovely view from the front yard. It does not appear to have much land with it, but as I said, I didn't read the listing info.

It is 3/10 of a mile to Tozier's, the Mariner, Shorty's, and all the other little shops right there in the immediate downtown. 4/10ths to the PO.

Searsport is a charming little town. I adore it. The house I wanted sold last fall. I wouldn't bid any higher than I did due to the economy crashing right when I was making my offer/s.

I have a dear friend who lives in CT who refers to Searsport as the sweet spot in the road. lol

There are a number of homes available in the area for sale. You'd do yourself justice to spend a few days just puttering around and discovering things on your own. I found one in Stockton Springs on the water that I bet you'd love based on what I saw today. The owners are anxious to sell. It's been all completely redone and it has a magnificent spot on the harbor. DM me if you'd like more info.

I'm here through the afternoon on Sunday. If you need me to check on anything else, please let me know. Happy to assist you. Good luck on your trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
Mike,

Sending you an email at your addy you provided. If you don't see it in your inbox, check your junk mail folder.

The house you put on here that you wanted to come see next week now has a SOLD sign on it!!!!!!!

I have some other suggestions for you, so look for my mail.

Sorry this one slipped by you.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Well, it's about half a mile to the grocery store. I'd call that walking distance to the Dunkin Donuts as well, of course, to me, anything less than a mile is walking distance, unless it's wicked cold out.

Searsport is a relatively low crime town. A word of caution, local PD love to stop out-of-staters. So when it says 25, it means 24.

Searsport has a police dept???? I would have been more careful with my public drunkenness (back in the day!) had I known that! lol
How about the school? It was in serious jeapordy or losing its accredidation a few years ago.....

Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Searsport has a police dept???? I would have been more careful with my public drunkenness (back in the day!) had I known that! lol
How about the school? It was in serious jeapordy or losing its accredidation a few years ago.....
I think we have somewhere around 7 or 8 officers now in Searsport. I don't know about the school, I don't have kids, and I didn't go there.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
I AM surprised at that many cops...........I checked population stats and it was weird: two different figures depending where you look (2641 or 1102). Wonder why the disparity??

Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Searsport to Lewiston--It takes about an hour to get from Belfast to Augusta via Rt. 3 and at least another 45 minutes to Lewiston

Old 06-14-2015, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 762 times
Hi...great to read all about the Searsport/Belfast area. As a native Mainer, and now retired, we are seriously thinking of moving back to the great Pine Tree State and Searsport. What are winters like living along the coast? I'm thinking less snow, and perhaps more sleet and (ouch) freezing rain? What are the taxes like--say for a 3br, 2 bath and approx. 2800 sq feet home.
Thanks ...looking forward to reading your comments.
Joe & Kim in Colorado

Old 06-16-2015, 09:13 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Six year old thread. I grew up in Stockton Springs and many of my friends went to Searsport High School. Back in the 40's and 50's my Mother, Aunts and Great Aunt all worked at Kob's Lobster Pound and other area restaurants. (Before my time). I can remember Kobs, though, when my Aunt worked there.

I like Searsport, but before you buy a home, just to make sure you understand, I'd make sure you're not closer than you'd like to be to a giant Liquid Propane gas terminal. Searsport has the potential as a high volume industrial shipping port. The plan was scuttled in 2013 when common sense took over, and caused a huge divide in Town Politics, but money talks, and it could easily be revived. Whether it would be worthwhile overall to develop the port, and its impact on the municipality, remains to be seen. One side didn't want to hear about it, and the other side only cared about immediate financial gratification to the possible detriment of everyone else. But if you think Rt. 1 traffic is bad in the summer now, wait until huge fleets of 18 wheelers begin clogging Rt. 1 trying to get to Rt. 3 or I-95.

I'd suggest looking off Rt. 1 a hair for a retirement home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine