Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:46 PM

325 posts, read 706,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
You may be able to use that work experience in the potato industry.
Maine Potato Board
With this in mind, Aroostook County would really be something to consider!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Now, very often at this point, I jump right in and try to spash a little reality into the optimistic faces of the impossibly optimistic fools who say that they really want to find 'home' in Maine.

But sorry Forestbeekeeper and anyone else who is holding their breath, I am not going to do it here.

Oh, I think the usual advice applies. That you have been to Maine on vacation is nice, but Maine isn't at all like what you think you saw when you were all pumped up and celebrating your wedding. Maine is much, much different.

But if you even THINK that you liked what you saw, then by all means you should explore it, and don't wait too long: you are 37 and time's awasting!

Step one is to make a trip up to Maine. No, not Wells, because if you have been to Wells, you have crossed the state line. Between Wells and the state's largest city (Portland), lies the ENTIRE state of Delaware. (Well, almost).

No, this trip your destination should be Bangor, and you should plan to stay there for a week. From there travel around and see everything within a fifty miles circle, even if it is only for a drive through. By all means go down to explore Acadia National Park...worth one day in your "fact finding mission", but this time, NOT more than that.

Go up the Interstate and stop near where Forestbeekeper hangs out....the unorganized territories offer cheap living and little else, but you need to see it. Go to Augusta, and see the state capitol....you need to see this, too.

All within 50 miles of Bangor. And while you are there, plan on looking for jobs of all kinds. A week will give you some flavor.

Now, BEFORE you come, make a list at home of your available job skills. Once you have that list, you can then match it up to what may or may NOT be available ANYWHERE in Maine.

When you have returned to Delaware from your one week visit to Bangor and environs, you will have visited or briefly seen about 20% of Maine. You will have yet to stop and visit in the greater Portland area, which is where the majority of Maine's population is, and where the majority of the most common opportunities for work is...this area, roughly a 50 miles radius circle in the southwestern most part of Maine...is often called "North Boston", because it is more like a suburb of Boston than the rest of rural Maine.

And of course you will not have seen eastern most Maine...the real "Downeast...nor Aroostook County which will amaze you in comparison to Delaware, nor the northwestern most mountainous part of Maine. But all of that can wait a while.

After a longer visit, you can judge how well you will do in the job market and then start to actually make applications. And you will also know whether or not THIS kind of environment will really work for you, socially, politically and financially.

Your attitude about making it work for you is laudable. It is 90 points on a scale of 100. But you need to know exactly what is in store for you, and then with a sense of adventure, you CAN make a fine life for you and your family here, although it might be unlike anything that you have thought would be yours to begin with.

I speak from experience. I moved to Maine thirty plus years ago without a prayer, and only a small cottage to live in that my family owned. I had neither regular heat nor hotwater that first winter. I had two degrees neither of which were employable at the time, so I started a small business doing odd jobs utilizing the meagre seventh grade shop skills that my school department in Massachusetts insisted that I have. There have been many more advantures since then, and no, I am not still doing odd jobs: but I could.

If this 'make do' attitude is truly that of you and your family, you can make it in Maine. So, roll up your sleeves, and have a family "think about" to decide if you all are up for the adventure of a lifetime. You won't get beaten by anything in Maine, Maine's economy, Maine's weather or anything else except your ultimate unwillingness to dig deep into your own personal strengths and resources.
I am glad that I read that post, but more so the answer from Acadianlion. This is a very smart way to analyze some of Maine before actually "jumping" in. I am wanting to move to Maine from AZ. For the same reasons as the first guy. I have 3 young boys and I want a great, or even better... a fabulous life for them. Unfortunately I know that is not going to happen in Phoenix. I am going to schedule a tour for a few days...then, move the fam-bam out to Maine... I feel good about this! Thanks!

Old 10-18-2014, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 912 times
Maine is job depressed! Very high taxes. Food and fuel is very expensive. Beutifull countryside. Better bring a LOT of money with you. They=State TAKE and Take. Fees and USE taxes abound. If you stay long enough , You won't have any money to move away! Thats ME

Old 10-19-2014, 11:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potte.1 View Post
Maine is job depressed! Very high taxes. Food and fuel is very expensive. Beutifull countryside. Better bring a LOT of money with you. They=State TAKE and Take. Fees and USE taxes abound. If you stay long enough , You won't have any money to move away! Thats ME
is this your first post ever on city data ??

you don't make the shallow gene pool up here look all that positive

try leg-humping another forum

Old 10-19-2014, 12:38 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
I know an electrician and contractor who worked in the "oil patch" the last two years. This past summer he came home to Maine. He is self employed and has all the work he can handle. His family loves being back home in Maine. There is work in Maine as long as you don't sit at home hoping somebody will call you.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:10 PM

147 posts, read 215,678 times
Really you just have to look sometimes and be willing to try a new job if nothing is open in a field you want. I got a great job recently with full benefits and it wasn't super difficult really. It was mostly just a matter of applying and waiting while working the job I didn't like anymore. I have never been without work if I have wanted a job and I do not have a degree either. I have worked 2 jobs to make it work but sometimes you have to do it that way. We also had to rely on some help for a little over a year but now we are back on our feet and making our own way. It is totally possible to have a decent life here even for people like my family that do not have much. We are working on getting ahead now that we have at least caught up. Come to Maine and enjoy the kind of life you make!

Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times
Why are you bashing him? Its the truth. However if someone wants to make it they will. Living in Me is a trade off. Quality of life vs Quantity in the bank. We left 7 years ago. I didnt want my kids to say Welcome to Junkmart for a career. We lived in the Bangor area for
our entire lives. Has Bangor gotten any better? No. We didnt want to live in Southern Me IT may as well be Boston. We still own property in Me. We will return one day but not now. As for my kids 2 are in college pursuing there careers as an Equine major. The other is going to be an interprerter for the hearing impared.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
You may be able to use that work experience in the potato industry.
Maine Potato Board
Maine Potato Board
that's the correct link. I clicked on your link and it kicked back as 404 page not found
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine