Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,430,024 times

Advertisements

Viddler.com - Lawn mower beer train gets pulled over - Uploaded by thechive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:04 PM

783 posts, read 1,576,463 times
7th, I hate to laugh at another's misfortune, but darn, I couldn't help it!

I was introduced to the bottom of my well today. I have no idea how close to the bottom I am, but the lovely water I knew previously has been replaced with the iron laden stuff that Owls Head is infamous for. Rain dance, please. Yes, we could've used more rain last spring.

Anyone else noticing a change in their water, or taking measures to ensure that you won't?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,089,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
7th, I hate to laugh at another's misfortune, but darn, I couldn't help it!

I was introduced to the bottom of my well today. I have no idea how close to the bottom I am, but the lovely water I knew previously has been replaced with the iron laden stuff that Owls Head is infamous for. Rain dance, please. Yes, we could've used more rain last spring.

Anyone else noticing a change in their water, or taking measures to ensure that you won't?
Haven't noticed any change in mine. But I live in a creek valley with a fairly high water table. I've dug down 18 inches and had the hole start to fill.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Zymer, right now, I'm thinking you're lucky. I just finished shelling peas - 10:20 pm , and I managed to get a pot of clear water to blanch them in, but the pot to cool them in ran murky.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,089,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Zymer, right now, I'm thinking you're lucky. I just finished shelling peas - 10:20 pm , and I managed to get a pot of clear water to blanch them in, but the pot to cool them in ran murky.
LOL, not so lucky when Spring rolls around and the crawlspace under the house turns into a pond. I was under there a few days ago, trying to put in a proper sump pit...and hit ledge only a few inches under the clay on the low side...trying to chip it away with a pick is slow going...I think I need some power tools...I don't think using nitro under the house would be a very good idea.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,683,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL, not so lucky when Spring rolls around and the crawlspace under the house turns into a pond. I was under there a few days ago, trying to put in a proper sump pit...and hit ledge only a few inches under the clay on the low side...trying to chip it away with a pick is slow going...I think I need some power tools...I don't think using nitro under the house would be a very good idea.
I like spring rolls....

Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 PM

48,167 posts, read 22,022,438 times
Maureen.....we had a real gullywasher of a rainstorm last night.....I hope that you got it where you are or the area that feeds your well. We had a thorough soaking .... here in Gorham.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 PM

Zymer, I knew there was a springtime flipside to your being close to the water table! I wish I lived nearer to you, I could come help ya dig or whatever. Explosives sound intriguing! If we were younger, we could bucket 1"+ rock down to your crawl space, then cover it with 6 mil plastic. Then the river could run through, and you wouldn't know it. Chin up!

Elston, I am glad you got the lovely rain! I slept through the precip that Owls Head received last night. It was rain of some sort, though doubt it was the soaker you had. Right now, any moisture is appreciated - even a heavy dew. I am not feeling sorry for myself, nor Maine in general, for the dry conditions; look to the Southwestern states for the true definition of drought.

The good news is, my well water is clearing nicely. It was my own fault for running the well down. I know its limits now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I like spring rolls....
Maineah, you are the sharpest tack in the box!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,393,456 times
It's the mid to high 90's forever on the forecasts out here. I would give $10 for some rain right now. I'd also give $15 for a good Maine lobster. Plus another $10 for a decent date square, macaroni and cheese loaf or red hot dog. Not to mention stars. I haven't seen them lately...light pollution. I'm having my own little pity party.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:52 PM

007, I don't seem to have any pull with the rain thing. I could cry, but that's about all I can offer there. The rest of the things you are missing are here, waiting for you, as you know. Up your ante a little!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine