Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 8,380 times

Advertisements

I don't remember how to make friends outside of school! at first this seemed really funny to me but then as I settled into my new place in Old Orchard Beach,I realized how lonely I am. I love people and really enjoy having friends near by but have resorted to discovering every possible drive to upstate new york to see friends. which by the way i think the most beautiful has to be across ME,NH,VT and into NY rather then down into NH,MA,NY....anyway I'm asking for anyones 2cents on some good ways t make friends in the years outside of school. I'm an online student and don't attend class at a campus so that options out and I'm too laid back and shy to get anywhere in a bar really.

I like being friends with nature but...it doesn't seem to appreciate all the things like to do lol.

feeling pretty hopeless since the state is so large and about to be overwhelmed by tourist, I'd like to make local friends before then so I'm not feeling so alone...

suggestion, PLEASE! and thank you all

HnK Gennie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Two thoughts come to my mind -- First, get involved in your community. Join a group, club or volunteer with an organization whose mission fits you. Be friendly, listen a lot, and talk little about "the way we did it in... " other places you have lived. I find the best way to really get to know folks is to work with them for the common good.

And secondly, BE PATIENT! After a while you will find folks that you begin to click with, but remember they have a status quo of which you are not a part. You might have a casual get-together and invite them, maybe along with a couple of your friends from "away" who might want to visit, too... but make sure that the party mixes and doesn't just devolve in Mainers and Others.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 8,380 times
Thank you

Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Churches

Politics

Outdoor organizations

Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times
I met a ton of wonderful people in small mom and pop shops and stores. Just ask a question, and they will pick up the slack. You're new, and they will have some interest in you out of curiosity, especially the business owners. Buy what you need locally. Take a walk, I have noticed that Mainers are really friendly to people who are walking around taking interest in things.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:56 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Go to a local bar with a hand full of c-notes and start buying rounds. You'll have all the friends you can ever use in about two hours.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:38 AM

444 posts, read 928,890 times
You could try joining a Meetup group...here is a search for Old Orchard Beach and surrounding areas:

Search results - Meetup.com

Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Go to a local bar with a hand full of c-notes and start buying rounds. You'll have all the friends you can ever use in about two hours.

And for about 2 hours.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
You are near Saco and there are a variety of activities that go on there....depending on your interests.

There is a coffee house held at the UU Church on School Street once a month...(its coming up) .....it is a small comfortable setting, coffee and pastries available and a very friendly group of folks of all ages. It is of very managable size....the music is good and it wouldnt be hard to walk in by yourself. Live Music in Saco Maine at the Saco Coffeehouse [ Home ] This is a community activity not a church function; it is most definately not a profit making enterprise.

There also are activities from time to time at the Saco Museum. http://www.dyerlibrarysacomuseum.org/mus_home.shtml

It is hard getting out and making new friends....but the best way to do it is to go to places that interest you.....and be friendly. I would also look for activities over at Ocean Park.....that will be picking up soon....as it tends to be a resort community.....but in a much less hectic way than OOB in the summer. If you play tennis.....there are tennis groups that are open at the tennis courts there.

If you are into nature.....there are bird walks and lectures at the nature center at the Scarborough Marsh.

Don't give up....follow your interests and be enthusiastic and you will make friends. People in Maine are friendly.

Last edited by elston; 03-31-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
I know of an organization that is active in southern Maine=called MOAC - I think it stands for Maine Outdoor Activity Club - and they do everything from skiing and hiking to all kinds of outdoor activites. I think most of them are in their 20s and 30s. Look it up on google. The guy that was instrumental in getting it going is Carey Kish. I believe he lives in Bowdoin ME. You are bound to make a few friends with similar interests. Check him out. I think he would be in the white pages for Bowdoin. He also writes a column in the Portland Sunday Telegram about 2 or 3 times a month.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine