Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,289 times

Advertisements

I have Natural Gas 18 kw Briggs & Stratton generator Model number 40304 it is working good but I need an advice that after how many hours I should get my generator serviced and oil changed?
Attached Thumbnails
I need Help!-briggs-15kw.gif  

Last edited by sharrychris; 04-15-2010 at 03:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 02:51 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,250,072 times
Twice a year. More often if used a lot.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,583,203 times
If you have not serviced it by now, it is nearing the end of its useful life. I will be happy to drive up and cart it off for a small recycling fee.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
If you have not serviced it by now, it is nearing the end of its useful life. I will be happy to drive up and cart it off for a small recycling fee.
Thanks for your kind post. I want to know after how many hours one should get serviced his or her generator and oil changed? My generator is working fine but for more better usage of my generator, I want to know about its service time and oil change. Please post related to this issue or for my knowledge.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,070 times
Change oil after first 2 operating hours and every 25 operating hours thereafter, more often if operated in extremely dusty or dirty conditions. Check spark plug every 100 hours of operation. Clean foam air filter every 25 operating hours and replace paper air filter every 100 operating hours. Natural gas burns cleaner than gasoline, but those are still the recommended changes.

This is standard service. If the generator is used under heavy loads (near the 18KW capacity) you may want to change the oil sooner. Refer to sticker on generator for the type of oil.

If the generator goes for long periods without being needed, it is best to start it up about every month or so and let it run for an hour or so under load (powering the house). They recommend this to keep the coil windings in the generator free of moisture build up, which appreciably shortens the generator life. That is a nice generator, do you have the automatic switching device, or do you have to connect it manually?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:14 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,937,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrychris View Post
I have Natural Gas 18 kw Briggs & Stratton generator Model number 40304 it is working good but I need an advice that after how many hours I should get my generator serviced and oil changed?
You should be able to download the operations and maintenance manual from Briggs and Stratton on the Internet.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Change oil after first 2 operating hours and every 25 operating hours thereafter, more often if operated in extremely dusty or dirty conditions. Check spark plug every 100 hours of operation. Clean foam air filter every 25 operating hours and replace paper air filter every 100 operating hours. Natural gas burns cleaner than gasoline, but those are still the recommended changes.

This is standard service. If the generator is used under heavy loads (near the 18KW capacity) you may want to change the oil sooner. Refer to sticker on generator for the type of oil.

If the generator goes for long periods without being needed, it is best to start it up about every month or so and let it run for an hour or so under load (powering the house). They recommend this to keep the coil windings in the generator free of moisture build up, which appreciably shortens the generator life. That is a nice generator, do you have the automatic switching device, or do you have to connect it manually?

Thanks for your reply. The generator have automatic switch device and it's working fine to date. Could you please tell me when i should carry out major service for my generator? (after how many hours)

Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,705,282 times
You can go here Manuals, Parts List & Wiring Diagrams - Briggs & Stratton and download all the literature and manuals available for your generator.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,830 times
How much does one of these babies cost? I'd like to buy one somewhere.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,705,083 times
Central Maine Diesel has excellent service and they have all kinds of generators. I recommend that you buy one with the quiet package. Both intake and exhaust have very effective silencers. In addition the shroud or box is insulated for sound. The quiet is worth the small extra cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine