Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 PM

143 posts, read 871,567 times

Advertisements

Hmmm... I don't think there are many similarities between Pasadena and Taneytown. One similarity would be not having to many busy roads or highways cutting through which keeps the area calm, not necessarily less traffic on some roads, but having more residential areas than areas with a commercial mix. (Everyone has their preference.) One side could say, "we have a quiet neighborhood," while the other can say, "I have a longer commute to work." Either way, that's probably the only similarity =) But I find it amazing how many Pasadena responses made it's way into a Taneytown post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 AM

7,027 posts, read 11,326,122 times
I think Hillbilly Jim is from Kentucky, not Taneytown, MD. At least that is what Wikipedia.org says.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,511 times
I grew up in Taneytown from 4th-12th grade, and then went to college elsewhere and never came back, and have a few observations myself.

First, while there are a lot of "ignorant" people as has been alluded to already, you can insulate yourself from that by being one of those who "buys more house" and live in the housing developments. Those developments are full of more "normal" suburban people and I think they are mostly like others that you'd meet in the more fully developed suburbs of the beltway counties.

Second, you're right, there isn't any thing to do. Town is boring as hell if you don't like nature.

Third, schools are alright, not great, but alright. FSK, the high school offers many AP classes. Unfortunately, the level of the students isn't that great and the teachers are not either. Even though most people go to college, it is to crappy colleges like McDaniel or the third tier MD state schools. It is really sad that people think McDaniel is a great school. Private liberal arts colleges in general are a waste of money, but this isn't even a good one but people think they've hit the jackpot. I went to the University of Chicago, but beyond that I think the best schools were, one to William and Mary, a athletic scholarship to West Virginia, a few kids who got into College Park, and one to Rutgers. That's it.

If you are buying "more house" think about what you are doing to your kids. These are the people they will be growing up with. Suburbanites and farm folk with no wish to better themselves except for the few who escape and never look back.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM

7,027 posts, read 11,326,122 times
I disagree with Mr. Exstentialist's opinions about "McDaniel" or Western Maryland College as it was called when I went there. WMC isn't the U of Chicago (congrats on getting in.) WMC is a tier three liberal arts college, but they have many outstanding classes and programs. Their biology, deaf studies, and teaching programs are highly rated. During my time there I was able to have nearly one on one classes in such obscure subject matters as linguistics, semiotics, and film analysis. I found the teachers and most of my fellow students to be excellent.

Any education is only going to be what you make of it. Many of my friends used their 4-year degree as a starting point for graduate school. Many of my friends made it into top notch graduate schools with their WMC education. Many others didn't take advantage of the opportunity and were no better prepared for the "real" world than someone who went to a state school. I know, for me the things I learned and people I meet would not have been possible without the school.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,967 times
The Bottom Line. Taneytown has never been the Annapolis, Columbia, or Bethesday of MD. Nor will it ever be. Most of Carroll County has been over run by Beltway Executives and there Escalade driving wives with there spoiled kids in the back. Taneytown Locals may be of a lower class, but at least we have class. We value our Families, and lifelong friends. Not what car someone drives or social class we are associated with. If you enjoy walkng down the sidewalk with your family on a Sunday afternoon, or fishing with your kids in the Local pond, or having a beer with your neighbor. You may enjoy Taneytown. If you need constant "cultural entertainment" Stay Away.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
My sister and brother in law live in Taneytown and I think it's great. They raised 4 boys and a daughter there. Any school, any place can have molesters/pedophiles. So that's just ridiculous to even mention that. Prejudice is everywhere, against every race. Do you think the people in Baltimore City are not prejudice? Give me the name of a town that has no prejudice/pedophiles? As for the sub teacher, do you really think one teacher represents the whole school? Of all the things going on in the world and you think that was even worth mentioning? That's prejudice right there! You are damning the whole Taneytown school system because the teacher told a kid to shut up. Pfft, it's a good thing I don't damn all substitute teachers because of your prejudice comment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland