Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 AM

38 posts, read 111,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganLinda View Post
hi. My daughter/grandsons live in DC and I would really like to be close to them for monthly visits, but can't tolerate the Beltway as a way of life. Lived in Silver Spring and Takoma Park about 9 years ago and tore out my hair in the congestion/traffic insanity. Suddenly it dawned on me that the Eastern Shore might be just right. I love Nature and space between towns, a slower paced life.
Where is "the good life" in the Eastern Shore at a reasonable price for a senior? The job market isn't interested in me anyway, so I don't care about 9 to 5 job opportunities (although I have worked at a high-end art gallery in Santa Fe, so maybe Easton p/t work?) I'm hoping to find a place with enough tourist traffic to open a small office to do astrology (37 years experience) and energy work for the tourists & the locals. Has the Downturn significantly reduced tourist traffic? Will this make me a "weirdo" to the locals? I am concerned about the Outsider possibility. I would, of course, like new friends and community. I'm happy to volunteer in the community and appreciate what they have to offer.
Somebody mentioned crime - could you steer me away from crime areas please?
Have looked on Craigslist for temporary housing (sublets, room rental, work exchange) to live in a compatible situation for 6 months or so to really get a feel for at least one of the towns before making the move, but am not seeing anything that looks promising. Is this easier to do in person?
Any information appreciated. Thanks!

I think Easton would be a good place to set up your shop....Its growing by leaps and bounds but they still have a strong regulations on sprawl and growth...Yes, you should visit the towns first to get a feel for them...We migrated from Silver Spring MD, couldnt stand the beltway insanity either...I lived on Cape Cod for 5 years and the Eastern Shore is the perfect place for me..great mixture of nature and sports and culture in the small towns like Easton, St Mikes and Chestertown.. Chestertown and Easton and St. Mikes are very progressive and supportive of the arts and services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM

274 posts, read 678,937 times
I lived in Greensboro (north of Denton) for a while and it was boring as all get out. If I had to live on the eastern shore somewhere, I'd prefer Kent Island. Eastern shore, yet close enough to civilization (annapolis/DC/Baltimore)....watch out for all the pollution though. The whole area is cancerous due to the chicken farms...all those poisons sinking in the ground, leaking out into the Bay...getting into the water systems..I read somewhere once that this area has one of the highest cancer rates in the whole United States. Therefore, I say a HUGE NO THANK YOU to MD. I'll take some fresh air and water please. just my two cents.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,250 times
i'd say kent island because of my job. i heard the job market on the eastern shore is non existent for the professional class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland