Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:02 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times

Advertisements

Alicia Bradley: your advice you are giving folks is not true. You ony speak of one area in the county. WHy not try living in other areas such as Bowie,Upper marlboro,Mitchellville,Largo. You judge the entire county base upon college Park area. Stop scaring off these nice folks. What you need to do is move to a affulent area then College Park. SOme people are just sad and have no life. Some people in life only see negative. What you experience is nothin glike my wonderful experience in Pg county. My community is full of educated black and white parents who want nothing but the best for their children. Pg county is just like all the other counties. In Montgomerty county have thugs,Ms13 gangs,Poverty,but you will only see that if you live in the negative surroundings. Most People who can afford to move away and run from the poverty and crimes in Montgomery county pay the price not to see the negative aspect of their county so they move to Chevy Chase,Bethesda,Rockville area but for those who cannot they live in the worst area of montgomery county. The same thing with Pg county. I donot see negative dealings in Pg county because my husband and I pay the price. No matter where you move or how far you move to as long as you donot have the cash to get away from negativity you will always see if because crime is everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 AM

415 posts, read 1,961,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler07 View Post
im a travel nurse well i just started this travel job i really would like to know the name of the good ones
Baltimore area, good hospitals (just picking them out in alphabetical order from my protocol book):
Christiana Hospital, Christiana DE
Greater Baltimore Medical Center (decent)
Johns Hopkins main hospital (beware, you work for the name, NOT the pay... their pay is some of the lowest because they get people wanting to work there all the time)
Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey PA
R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center (Univ of MD)
St Josephs Hospital, MD (there's another St Joes in PA, make sure you're looking at the right one)
Sinai Hospital, Towson MD
Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore MD
University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore MD
York Hospital, York PA

DC Area good hospitals:
Childrens National Medical Center, Washington DC
George Washington University Hospital, Washington DC
Georgetown University Hospital, Washington DC
Hospital for Sick Children, Washington DC (this is more of a long term care facility, but it's great, and the staff is excellent!)
INOVA Fairfax Hospital, Fairfax VA
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda MD
National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda MD (you can be a civilian RN there)
NRH Regional Rehab (National Rehab Hospital), Washington DC
Sibley Memorial Hospital, Washington DC
Suburban Hospital, Bethesda MD
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington DC (you can be a civilian and work there, mind you this facility is on the BRAC list and being moved to Bethesda Naval Hospital within the next few years!)
Washington Adventist Hospital, Takoma Park MD
Washington Hospital Center, Washington DC

Baltimore Hospitals I wouldn't take a dying rat to:
Baltimore Washington Medical Center (North Arundel Hospital), Glen Burnie MD
Bon Secours Hospital, Baltimore MD
Good Samaritan Hospital, Baltimore MD
Harbor Hospital, Baltimore MD
Maryland General Hospital, Baltimore MD
Mercy Medical Center, Baltimore MD
Saint Agnes Hospital, Baltimore MD
University Specialty Hospital (Deaton Hospital), Baltimore MD

DC Area Hospitals to avoid:
Bowie Health Center, Bowie MD
DC General Hospital (they still have clinics there... beware!)
Doctors Community Hospital, Lanham MD
Greater Southeast Community Hospital, Washington DC
Hadley Memorial Hospital, Washington DC (used to be a wonderful facility in SE DC, now it's nothing more than a bad clinic)
Howard University Hospital, Washington DC (hey, these are the guys that killed the DC journalist a while back, NOT the EMS providers!!!)
Providence Hospital, Washington DC

This is from 11 years of experience in EMS and critical care transport. PM if you have any questions. There are a lot more hospitals in the area, but these are the ones that stand out!

Old 08-15-2007, 11:51 AM

7 posts, read 48,874 times
Default med ctr

my agency has sent me to sivista med ctr and i think they are housing me in waldorf my husband homeschool are kids can u tell us were the safe place to stay im dont think the agency would but us in a bad place,this is my first travel job .thank you and everyone for the info

Old 08-15-2007, 01:11 PM

Civista is what I'd consider an "average" hospital. The staff isn't so incompetent as to kill the patients, but they can't do any advanced procedures there.
Others would have to give you recommendations about the neighborhood, but you don't tend to hear a lot of bad stuff about Waldorf on the news...

Old 08-15-2007, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 48,874 times
thank you emsgoof my agency called today and said ill be staying in alexandra va.its about a hour drive to civsta.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:15 PM

Oof... that can be a haul. Pretty much mandatory to drive across the Wilson Bridge. On the flip side, you may luck out with direction of travel (opposite most commuters there), and Alexandria is pretty nice!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 PM

149 posts, read 668,304 times
Pretty good list, I'm not sure St. Agnes deserves its placement.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM

11 posts, read 52,297 times
By EMSgoof "DC area hospitals to avoid" Why Doctors Community Hospital, Lanham MD.

My wife and I are relocating to Maryland and she accepted a postition there. They are even paying relocation expenses. They are also building a new cancer center building. This is the first i've heard something negitive about the hospital. Thanks for replying.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Working on a critical care transport team, I've gotten to see the worst of the worst patients. There were more than a few "train wrecks" coming out of Doctors because the staff there would sit too long trying to figure out what to do (ie: they didn't know what they were doing).
I've also worked 911 in PG County, and I've actually had patients with a full-blown heart attack adamantly refuse (to the point of threatening violence) to go with me to Doctors (going somewhere else wasn't an option). The hospital has a horrible reputation for killing people, and they haven't done a whole heck of a lot to fix that reputation. I haven't been down there in about a year now, but I can't see them fixing about 15-20 years of poor practice in 1 year.
If your wife is proactive, and actually cares about patients, she'll be fine. The problem is there were a lot of nurses and physicians who couldn't even give me basic information, because they simply didn't care to find out (like "How long has the patient been experiencing this problem?" Answer: "I don't know, it's not in the chart, and I'm too busy on my break to go find out" - yes, I heard this on multiple occasions)

As for St. Agnes, it's really hit or miss. There are some floors that are awesome, then there are some that are completely incompetent. The pediatrics there are really good for what it is (a small community hospital). Problem is most of the rest of the staff have no problem being very rude to you, and nothing gets done about it (this was more experience as a family member rather than EMS provider, although I've gone in there as both). I think the administration there is actually working to make it a better hospital, and maybe it's changed. I haven't been there in about a year and a half. (They do tend to sit on really sick patients a little too long also, but not as bad as Doctor's)

Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Default Doctor's

emsgoof--I used to be a police dispatcher for a city in PG county and I totally agree with you about Doctor's.

Quote:
I've actually had patients with a full-blown heart attack adamantly refuse (to the point of threatening violence) to go with me to Doctors (going somewhere else wasn't an option). The hospital has a horrible reputation for killing people, and they haven't done a whole heck of a lot to fix that reputation. I haven't been down there in about a year now, but I can't see them fixing about 15-20 years of poor practice in 1 year.
I know that the officers I worked with promised each other to NOT use Doctor's in case of emergency--usually they'd head to Laurel although, quite frankly, I do not like that hospital much either.

I thought North Arundel had gotten better? Or maybe not? By the way, heard anything about Anne Arundel Medical Center? I always preferred that to North Arundel--just seemed cleaner/more professional/really, really like the doctors and especially the nurses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland