Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 PM

61 posts, read 133,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! Kinda surprised about some of the opinions about Frostburg State I thought it was more highly regarded. Looking into Cumberland, now lol.

I'm think of University of Maryland.
What I've heard about Prince Georges County (College Park)has not been great, maybe I'll be able to find a quiet area.

PG is definitely more convenient transportation wise though.
No problem, I am always happy to help . Frostburg was once a much better place than it is now. Sign of the times, I guess. Frederick, Hagerstown, and Cumberland are good places to look. You might even try parts of PA or even a little further north in Delaware (I know that you are not looking to go out of state, but you've got to keep your options open during these tough times). PG has its good points and its bad points, but I overall wouldn't recommend it because you can do much better for what you'd be paying to live there. Charles County has some nice rural areas that may satisfy your need for more nature, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
If you're trying to link slower pace with a state college, maybe check out programs at Salisbury? Lots of rural areas within 15-60 minutes drive of the college.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:55 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! Kinda surprised about some of the opinions about Frostburg State I thought it was more highly regarded. Looking into Cumberland, now lol.

I'm think of University of Maryland.
What I've heard about Prince Georges County (College Park)has not been great, maybe I'll be able to find a quiet area.

PG is definitely more convenient transportation wise though.
There are quiet parts of College Park and PG County. I live in CP and the loudest things I hear are sirens and the occasional overly loud car, and that's because my house is near two major roadways.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
What do you folks think of Potomac State College as an alternative? That seems to be where my wife's college age cousins go instead of Frostburg.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:59 PM

389 posts, read 797,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
What do you folks think of Potomac State College as an alternative? That seems to be where my wife's college age cousins go instead of Frostburg.
It's not bad. It's a good two-year school if you plan on going to WVU to finish your degree. If you're from nearby counties in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, you get the metro discount (basically in between in-state and out-of-state tuition). They're actually expanding pretty quickly and are at a record enrollment. With that being said, Keyser has nothing in the way of accomodating for college students (i.e. it hasn't realized it's college town potential) and, in my opinion, isn't really that nice of a place. I've talked to several people that went there and ended up transferring to AC (Allegany College of Maryland) in Cumberland. Back before they were a division of WVU, a lot of people had trouble transferring all their credits. Non-locals that went there have told me that it's a nice school but that they just could not handle the lack of things to do. I'm definitely glad I didn't go there.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Pot State?

That is what we call it....but just because it is funny, although Keyser does have a reputation for having a drug problem.

I don't know much about the school. I doubt it would be as good as FSU, at least that is still the local perception.

Honestly, Jermaine, I would come out to our neck of the woods for a weekend and check out Cumberland, Frostburg, and Keyser. If you pick a day when there is an FSU football game, you can get a feel for the college, drive around the town, both the better parts and rental district (I can give you good maps to use) and see for yourself.

I have to admit that I haven't been my normally bubbly self about Western Maryland as I am personally frustrated that our community has slid rather significantly in terms of crime rate, quality of citizen, and the emergence of "thug" culture in the last couple of years. Nothing is more disgusting to me than seeing some young twenty something, scrawny butt white kid dressing and strutting around like he is in the Crips.

When I was growing up in town just back in the mid to late 1990s in Cumberland, we never locked our doors, our car, anything like that. Things have changed.

Anyway, Western Maryland may very well be everything you want it to be, compared to other places you have lived. Best to see for yourself.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM

389 posts, read 797,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I have to admit that I haven't been my normally bubbly self about Western Maryland as I am personally frustrated that our community has slid rather significantly in terms of crime rate, quality of citizen, and the emergence of "thug" culture in the last couple of years. Nothing is more disgusting to me than seeing some young twenty something, scrawny butt white kid dressing and strutting around like he is in the Crips.

When I was growing up in town just back in the mid to late 1990s in Cumberland, we never locked our doors, our car, anything like that. Things have changed.

Anyway, Western Maryland may very well be everything you want it to be, compared to other places you have lived. Best to see for yourself.
Has crime really increased that much? I know there was an increase in crime in Cumberland and that there have been a few incidents in Frostburg related to some of these kids coming up from PG County. I mean when I come home I haven't really perceived an increase in crime. Then again, I spend most of my time in Coney when I'm home and am too busy running back and forth between Frostburg, Keyser, and Cumberland (visiting friends and family) otherwise. Are the prisons contributing to this crime increase? If that's the case, I hope all those who wanted them are happy.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Has crime really increased that much? I know there was an increase in crime in Cumberland and that there have been a few incidents in Frostburg related to some of these kids coming up from PG County. I mean when I come home I haven't really perceived an increase in crime. Then again, I spend most of my time in Coney when I'm home and am too busy running back and forth between Frostburg, Keyser, and Cumberland (visiting friends and family) otherwise. Are the prisons contributing to this crime increase? If that's the case, I hope all those who wanted them are happy.
Allegany County's crime rate is now higher than the state average and had the largest single year increase since they started keeping the stats (sometime in the 1970s.) That about says it all.

The prisons have something to do with it, but you can't catch an infection without comisserating with the sick. That is really the problem, the young people in our community have lost their identity, it is no longer acceptable to be white, poor, but proud of who you are.

Now, if you are poor, you have to be angry. That opens the door to the whole "thug" culture of puffery, ill-gotten gain, stick it to the man, fight for what you want mentality.

Coney is only somewhat isolated from this. There is plenty of crime, drugs, and thugs there too, albeit in fewer numbers. I could "name drop" some of the bad folks down in your neck of the woods, but I am sure you know them already.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 AM

461 posts, read 1,284,284 times
westsideboy, are you seeing an influx of people from DC, Mongomery, PG, and Baltimore like Washington and Frederick Counties are?

I've been told that agencies in those areas suggest to their clients to move out west because they will get better/more services. Meanwhile, our programs set up to help our own are stressed to the max as is. I can't understand how, in this economy with the lack of jobs in the relative area, poor folks are moving west at an astounding clip. New neighborhoods that hit a snag during the recession were built out and turned into Section 8 housing, which has created an increase in crime and a lack of community pride. Very frustrating.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
westsideboy, are you seeing an influx of people from DC, Mongomery, PG, and Baltimore like Washington and Frederick Counties are?

I've been told that agencies in those areas suggest to their clients to move out west because they will get better/more services. Meanwhile, our programs set up to help our own are stressed to the max as is. I can't understand how, in this economy with the lack of jobs in the relative area, poor folks are moving west at an astounding clip. New neighborhoods that hit a snag during the recession were built out and turned into Section 8 housing, which has created an increase in crime and a lack of community pride. Very frustrating.
Yes. And the city is being stupid and building more subsidized housing to accomidate them. Sure, it adds residents to the books, but the quality of the citizens we are attracting to these places leaves much to be desired.

Still, I don't want to blame our problems on outsiders, as most of our criminals are still "home grown" young folks that run in the same circles and learned the tricks of the trade from the city folk.

Hey, Steelers10, if you ever still lurk around this site, I have to tell you.....you were right about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland