Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,885 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide if a Sam's club memberships is worth the money. Its 40 a year or something like 100 for a membership with extra perks.

Walmart is clearly the cheapest store in Salisbury for groceries, with Food Lion being second, and Giant being the most expensive. I don't mind the long lines at walmart since it really is that much cheaper, but I'm wondering if I can save further by going to Sams.

Is there a certain size household that makes Sams ideal? I eat pretty much normal cereal for breakfast, bag a sandwich for lunch, make something easy for dinner, granola bar for a snack. I'm sure this question has been combed over quite well, but I'm looking for Salisbury/Wicomico specific angles.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 PM

167 posts, read 426,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingpins View Post
Is there a certain size household that makes Sams ideal? I eat pretty much normal cereal for breakfast, bag a sandwich for lunch, make something easy for dinner, granola bar for a snack. I'm sure this question has been combed over quite well, but I'm looking for Salisbury/Wicomico specific angles.

Thanks.
I don't live over there, but here's my perspective. Sam's Club is a godsend for my brother's family of four, with two teenagers threating to eat the fabric of reality if not enough food was provided.

For those living in a lesser demanding situation, the purchases I make keep me from buying certain things (soaps, canned meat, juices & drinks, toiletries, cereal!) frequently over the space of a few months. I took my mom once and she didn't like the cash outlay vs. going to a regular store, although the stuff bought is likely to last (much) longer than a week.

Depending on where you live in Wicomico, a purchase at Sam's Club may pay you back in the gas you save by lessening your trips to the regular food store.

When compared to a typical food store, Sam's does carry less of a variety of things (low-sodium broth is not an option. One kind of low-sodium soup offered is another example). The prices are slightly less, but only because the quantity is bigger.

Refrigerated items I tend to buy less of. Excepting some stuff sold individually (milk, orange juice) or stuff that can be frozen or has a long shelf life (meats, eggs, margarine/butter), refrigerated items will rot if you don't plan ahead.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingpins View Post
Is there a certain size household that makes Sams ideal?
I used Sams when I was living alone and it was close. I used their gas station and the pharmacy for $4.00 prescriptions. I bought their coffee and cat litter. It's also useful for entertaining a crowd, as they have large trays of danish and big cans of chili or beans. I also bought printer paper and vitamins.

If you live close and plan to use it enough, it's worth the membership fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland