Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
A lot of people in Frederick actually do NOT like being associated with DC, especially given that the majority of the county is rural and it stretches all the way up to the Pennsylvania border.

... And David I'm sure you would not want to be associated with the Eastern Shore or Western Maryland either.
Continuation of my previous comment

What you said is both true and false. People in Frederick County don't always like being associated with DC. However, people in Frederick city, along with Urbana (both likely due to the influence of I-275) sometimes dislike being associated with the rest of their county. Frederick city and Urbana are both very affluent (Urbana moreso, but the city certainly can't be ignored), and (probably) due to their influence, Frederick County is relatively affluent as well (it's in the top 50 of the US regarding household income). Granted, Carroll County is ranked even better than Frederick County, but there isn't really a suburban-rural divide there, it's mostly just... exurban. Reminds me of Damascus in MoCo.

As for the last statement, while that's true, I honestly have nothing against them. Our cultures are just very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 04:48 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Westside and its not just planning.......I think Western Marylanders should decide for themselves whether to allow natural gas drilling and how to regulate it and not be hindered by some liberal Democrats in the state government who answer to their base in Montgomery County and Howard County.

And westside especially how your Rep is now John Delaney of Potomac. You think he will push for rural interests, including natural gas drilling and coal mining interests, in Congress? His core base from Bethesda and Potomac will not let their liberal sensibilities be offended in such a way. Well people were dumb enough to vote for the gerrymandered map in addition to illegal aliens.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Westside and its not just planning.......I think Western Marylanders should decide for themselves whether to allow natural gas drilling and how to regulate it and not be hindered by some liberal Democrats in the state government who answer to their base in Montgomery County and Howard County.

And westside especially how your Rep is now John Delaney of Potomac. You think he will push for rural interests, including natural gas drilling and coal mining interests, in Congress? His core base from Bethesda and Potomac will not let their liberal sensibilities be offended in such a way. Well people were dumb enough to vote for the gerrymandered map in addition to illegal aliens.
I voted for Mr. Delaney. He ran as a Pro-Business Dem. We need business here. Rep. Bartlett was a known quantity, and while he and I have a lot of common idealogical ground, I found him to be an ineffective legislator.

The jury is obviously still out on Rep. Delaney, but I am willing to put up with some party-line liberal votes in the House if he is able to be a more effective voice for our needs than his precedessor. I think he has the potential to be a big mover and shaker in Washington. I want him on our side. He won in Cumberland proper, BTW.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
For starter, I don't label myself a liberal or conservative. I use my own judgement. I'm fed up with both parties at this moment. I don't care about abortion and gay marriage. It has no effect on me and it has no effect on you. I think it is hypocritical for conservatives to brag about limited government but want to control how people should live their lives. I'm neutral on the death penalty. As long as they are off the street, I don't care if they are dead or not. I think restriction on gun control is wrong and punish everyone but criminals. I don't hate Hispanics, I don't like illegal immigrants. There is a difference. I don't like the Dream Act or giving them handouts but treating them like crap accomplish nothing. Instead of putting the effort in deporting, I rather take the time to understand why they are here illegally and how they manage to do it and what can we do to reduce it.

I don't considered cheaply built Ryan Homes and crappy strip malls as economic growth. Those cities you listed in Virginia doesn't hold a candle to the revenue the state gains from NOVA but they do actually contribute. Blame the state for allowing developers to build over farm land with their crap. Now you expect the same for other parts of Maryland. You complain about NOVA and the resources they use and then expect Maryland to have McDonalds, Wendy's, Shell Station, some ugly big box store, IHOP, Big Bob's Ford dealer, some ho-hum strip mall and Wal-Mart all lined up for miles on some congested six lane road.

Just as Northern Virginia and some areas of Maryland have figured out, it all comes with a hidden cost in more roads, more schools, more lanes, more people, more infrastructure, more traffic. I am all in favor of improving economic growth in other parts of Maryland but I don't want it to look like NOVA in where developers get to have their way at the expense of the community.

Maryland has always had strict land-use guidelines in place to protect the Chesapeake Bay and farmland way before Glendening. You guys should brush up on your history. PlanMaryland isn't exactly O'Malley's idea. It's mainly just continuing what Glendening and other governors like Mandel and Hughes started. Our infrastructure woes wouldn't been a issue if the state stop spending money it does not have and expect to use the transportation trust fund to balance their budget.

You have to plan and look ahead. Maryland isn't that large of a state but yet one of the most densely populated state and its still growing. Like most county government, they don't think about the need for extra infrastructure or the possible increase in traffic or things like that until the problem becomes unbearable. This happened in Northern Virginia as NOVA was not prepare for the growth they supposedly had the space for.

About the ICC, get a E-ZPass and sign up for those commuter plans or don't use the tolls. No one is forcing you to use toll facilities. If I had a choice to use them, I likely will because I see the benefits over avoiding them if I am unable to. I'm not going to travel 22 miles out of the way and waste gas just to avoid a toll. If I am going to avoid a toll, the alternate path better be nearby. Make your own lunch rather than eating out. If I lived along one of the major roads in Montgomery and had to travel to Laurel or Columbia, you bet I would use the ICC because I-495 and I-270 is no joke. I save more money in gas and in time to get to where I am going rather than stopping and going. The choice is yours.

The focus should be on reducing crime, not restricting it to one place. I don't think cities should be for crime and for the poor only. It should be for everyone to enjoy. It shouldn't have to be run-down. People and their prejudice caused cities to fall in disarray. They took their money with with while those who remained were getting screwed over by real estate agents and couldn't afford to move because they were restricted to the city. By the time drugs became a issue, the damage was already done. Crime is inevitable and it can happen anywhere.

Only two Republican governors was elected in the last 50 years and one of them was just as corrupted as the Democrats today. Don't blame the party, blame the people involved. That goes for both parties. Republicans don't offer no solutions of their own, they just whine about everything the Democrats put on the table just like Congress. They are just as responsible for the condition of Maryland as the Democrats are. Republicans just sit and twiddle their thumbs and watch the chaos happen right before their eyes. We get it, he isn't a good governor but what are they are going to do about it? Continue bad-mouthing him? Where are their proposals? Why don't they come up with a logical explanation of why they oppose in attempt to persuade others rather than just opposing in spite of the Democrats? All of them should be held accountable for their actions or lack thereof.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
For starter, I don't label myself a liberal or conservative. I use my own judgement. I'm fed up with both parties at this moment. I don't care about abortion and gay marriage. It has no effect on me and it has no effect on you. I think it is hypocritical for conservatives to brag about limited government but want to control how people should live their lives. I'm neutral on the death penalty. As long as they are off the street, I don't care if they are dead or not. I think restriction on gun control is wrong and punish everyone but criminals. I don't hate Hispanics, I don't like illegal immigrants. There is a difference. I don't like the Dream Act or giving them handouts but treating them like crap accomplish nothing. Instead of putting the effort in deporting, I rather take the time to understand why they are here illegally and how they manage to do it and what can we do to reduce it.

I don't considered cheaply built Ryan Homes and crappy strip malls as economic growth. Those cities you listed in Virginia doesn't hold a candle to the revenue the state gains from NOVA but they do actually contribute. Blame the state for allowing developers to build over farm land with their crap. Now you expect the same for other parts of Maryland. You complain about NOVA and the resources they use and then expect Maryland to have McDonalds, Wendy's, Shell Station, some ugly big box store, IHOP, Big Bob's Ford dealer, some ho-hum strip mall and Wal-Mart all lined up for miles on some congested six lane road.

Just as Northern Virginia and some areas of Maryland have figured out, it all comes with a hidden cost in more roads, more schools, more lanes, more people, more infrastructure, more traffic. I am all in favor of improving economic growth in other parts of Maryland but I don't want it to look like NOVA in where developers get to have their way at the expense of the community.

Maryland has always had strict land-use guidelines in place to protect the Chesapeake Bay and farmland way before Glendening. You guys should brush up on your history. PlanMaryland isn't exactly O'Malley's idea. It's mainly just continuing what Glendening and other governors like Mandel and Hughes started. Our infrastructure woes wouldn't been a issue if the state stop spending money it does not have and expect to use the transportation trust fund to balance their budget.

You have to plan and look ahead. Maryland isn't that large of a state but yet one of the most densely populated state and its still growing. Like most county government, they don't think about the need for extra infrastructure or the possible increase in traffic or things like that until the problem becomes unbearable. This happened in Northern Virginia as NOVA was not prepare for the growth they supposedly had the space for.

About the ICC, get a E-ZPass and sign up for those commuter plans or don't use the tolls. No one is forcing you to use toll facilities. If I had a choice to use them, I likely will because I see the benefits over avoiding them if I am unable to. I'm not going to travel 22 miles out of the way and waste gas just to avoid a toll. If I am going to avoid a toll, the alternate path better be nearby. Make your own lunch rather than eating out. If I lived along one of the major roads in Montgomery and had to travel to Laurel or Columbia, you bet I would use the ICC because I-495 and I-270 is no joke. I save more money in gas and in time to get to where I am going rather than stopping and going. The choice is yours.

The focus should be on reducing crime, not restricting it to one place. I don't think cities should be for crime and for the poor only. It should be for everyone to enjoy. It shouldn't have to be run-down. People and their prejudice caused cities to fall in disarray. They took their money with with while those who remained were getting screwed over by real estate agents and couldn't afford to move because they were restricted to the city. By the time drugs became a issue, the damage was already done. Crime is inevitable and it can happen anywhere.

Only two Republican governors was elected in the last 50 years and one of them was just as corrupted as the Democrats today. Don't blame the party, blame the people involved. That goes for both parties. Republicans don't offer no solutions of their own, they just whine about everything the Democrats put on the table just like Congress. They are just as responsible for the condition of Maryland as the Democrats are. Republicans just sit and twiddle their thumbs and watch the chaos happen right before their eyes. We get it, he isn't a good governor but what are they are going to do about it? Continue bad-mouthing him? Where are their proposals? Why don't they come up with a logical explanation of why they oppose in attempt to persuade others rather than just opposing in spite of the Democrats? All of them should be held accountable for their actions or lack thereof.
On a federal level, I am right there with you buddy, both parties are corrupt and in collusion on the issues that matter to them, outrageous spending, mucking around overseas, and taking away our Constitutional Rights.

On a state leve, it is VERY hard to blame the GOP for anything. Why? Because the Dems have a super-majority in the Senate, House of Delegates, and the Governor's House. There are plenty of GOP ideas that are proposed........you don't ever hear of any because they never make it out of committee.

The only thing worse than corrupt two party rule is corrupt one party rule, which is what we have in Maryland. You don't even get to pick between the lesser of two evils, whichever evil is wearing the blue tie always wins.

As for PlanMaryland, yeah, sure Glendening was into the same thing, but NOTHING like what MOM is doing with the admin. agencies and these sewer regs. It is back door state-level zoning. Something that is poison to the poor rural counties. I know many people hear "rural" and think Carroll, Frederick, Harford, Calvert, etc. But there is an entirely different level of "rural" that exists out in Western Maryland and the Lower Shore that is isolated, poor, and stagnant in population or declining. These communities need a shot in the arm. You can overdevelop, but these communities never started to develop to begin with.

We can learn from the mistakes that were made and develop smarter, but this "You need to stay just like you were in 1950" crap to avoid overdevelopment at a state level is selfish. Not a statement to you, but just in general. It is easy to order your distant provinces to remain "The King's Forest" when one lives next to everything they need to prosper and get ahead.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
Quote:
A lot of people in Frederick actually do NOT like being associated with DC, especially given that the majority of the county is rural and it stretches all the way up to the Pennsylvania border. It was only in the past 15 years or so that the Washington suburbs expanded into Frederick and Frederick city began to see a lot of commuters.

I think Frederick, Charles, and Calvert Counties (sorry always forget about Southern Maryland) should stay in Maryland with only Montgomery and PGC leaving. Baltimore City can leave too and become an exclave of DC if they wish. Though I want to keep College Park, maybe with a sliver of land along I-95 connecting it with Baltimore. If not we can make UMBC or Towson or Salisbury the main campus and College Park can become a branch campus of UDC along with George Mason.But then the new state of DC's tax base will NOT be enough to fund College Park or George Mason. And David I'm sure you would not want to be associated with the Eastern Shore or Western Maryland either.
If only Montgomery and PGC leave, Maryland would still be a fairly blue state. Obama's margin of victory in MD was 623K votes and MoCo + PG only provided 461K of that margin. Add in Baltimore city and, well, even MD outside the entire 'big 3' (Baltimore City, MoCo, PG) just barely voted for Romney, by a mere ~14K margin, out of millions of votes cast. Part of your problem is that Baltimore County voted for Obama by a 17% margin and Howard County voted for him by a 21% margin, and sure enough those would be two of the largest jurisdictions in a 'big 3'-less state. You'd have to remove those two jurisdictions as well before Maryland's politics even begins to resemble that of Georgia or Tennessee (the two states you mentioned).

source President Map - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 AM

Yes again Physix I think the Eastern Shore and Western MD should be allowed to growth and develop according to their own wishes and not have so many restrictions placed on them from the central state government which is dominated by the Washington suburbs and Baltimore City. Even with guns its very urban-centric as its the urban legislators who are pushing for control gun because they think that will make Baltimore City and PG County safer, but its rural gun owners who will bear the brunt of the new restrictions and the licensing fees. Not to mention the violation of privacy of law abiding citizens a licensing system would require. O'Malley's gun laws goes completely against American values. There should nto be a ban on assault weapons and there should not be a licensing system for handguns. This is pushed through statewide because of the urban areas and their problems. There is little gun violence in the Eastern Shore or Carroll County and what crime there is is mostly caused by criminals from the cities or by illegal immigrants. Rural areas do not suffer from gun crimes but the state wants to take away our God-ordained gun rights from ALL Marylanders now. The liberal central Maryland counties forcing their liberalism on the death penalty is another issue

It really is hard to believe we are "one Maryland" sometimes.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 AM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
WOW.. Amazing to still hear this idea still floating around. This was brought up in the 80s and back then the eastern shore was talking about leaving MD ( helped along by the governor referring to it as the ****house of MD or something along those lines ) and joining Delaware. Had a ton of support but what eventually killed the idea was those to the west did not like the idea of losing their cash cow Ocean City. THAT ( Ocean City ) is what will keep this sort of thing from ever becoming a reality. The state helps keep Ocean City/Worcester County in check via funding which they get a ton of. Atleast back when that is what was done to keep them in check and not going along with the rest of the eastern shore.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 AM

I've also noticed more of the newer developments on the Eastern Shore are also apartments and condos like around Easton and Cambridge. That again is probably the result of forced Smart Growth laws requiring that all development be above a certain density. That kind of development threatens the charm of the region's small rural towns. I think the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland are more fit for the kind of development with lower density and larger lot sizes. If your going to live in a new Urbanist community in Salisbury how is that different from living in Rockville? Carroll County has done well developed at a lower density. Frederick County and Harford County are also becoming increasingly too dense for my liking. Even a lot of the new single family home communities in Frederick have relatively small yards and close distances between neighbors which is a negative.

I agree with Harry in that Ocean City is the only reason Maryland will not let the Eastern Shore secede even though the majority of Shore residents wish that could happen. The Western Maryland secession movement hasn't gotten as much attention. I'm sure West Virginia wouldn't mind getting Cumberland, Hagerstown, and Garrett County. I am very doubtful that O'Malley and the liberals will ever allow that region to develop its rich natural gas reserves and coal mines. And even if natural gas drilling is allowed, Maryland will place so many restrictions in terms of the environment and in terms of union labor that it will be very business unfriendly compared to West Virginia. I think that the Maryland Democrats and their liberalism are what caused Sparrows Point to be shut down forever now. If you look at the rest of the country, most of the new population growth and ecnomic growth have been in conservative states in the South and West.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post

Can't rep you enough for these two paragraphs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland