Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
It's diverse and generally safe. No nightlife but the Fillmore theatre has lots of good national acts come in. Not as much fun as NYC but probably the best DC suburb for activity, which doesn't say much. Good restaurants of all types though. For nightlife you'll have to venture into DC because it's very dead after 9 or so.
I agree nightlife isn't one of DTSS's strongest attributes, but it's far from dead after 9. Quarry House and Sidebar are always packed and considered some of the best bars in the region, Society is a nice lounge (with a rooftop bar wrapping up construction to boot), McGinty's is an adequate pub, Denizens Brewery literally opened today and has a great beer garden, Fillmore and AFI add a lot of nighttime vibrancy as well. If someone is interested in bar-hopping the night away then they'll need to go into DC, but for an average person looking to catch a show or grab drinks w/friends the nightlife offerings are more than adequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 04:06 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
I agree nightlife isn't one of DTSS's strongest attributes, but it's far from dead after 9. Quarry House and Sidebar are always packed and considered some of the best bars in the region, Society is a nice lounge (with a rooftop bar wrapping up construction to boot), McGinty's is an adequate pub, Denizens Brewery literally opened today and has a great beer garden, Fillmore and AFI add a lot of nighttime vibrancy as well. If someone is interested in bar-hopping the night away then they'll need to go into DC, but for an average person looking to catch a show or grab drinks w/friends the nightlife offerings are more than adequate.
lol the Quarry House and McGinty's. Those look like the locations where you pan the crowd and it segues into a denture cream commercial. My elderly father frequents those places with his friends. Just a bar that is safe does not good nightlife make.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
lol the Quarry House and McGinty's. Those look like the locations where you pan the crowd and it segues into a denture cream commercial. My elderly father frequents those places with his friends. Just a bar that is safe does not good nightlife make.
That's odd considering only complaint I've ever heard about Quarry House is that it attracts an inordinate number of 20-something hipsters. Your elderly father sounds awesome; I've never seen a senior citizen hang out in an underground dive bar before. Maybe you should try it sometime and see that the crowd is pretty young.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-05-2014 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 PM

772 posts, read 1,143,067 times
Quote:
This isn't even close to true, just FYI for OP - it's shocking that someone who claims to live in SS would say such a thing. Facts show the exact opposite, if anything. E.g. west of the downtown CBD you can find the cheapest apartment complexes in the area - Falkland Chase and Summit Hills. Alternatively, Woodside Park - the most expensive area of Silver Spring is east of Georgia Avenue.
Maybe you didn't read my post right. I INCLUDED downtown SS in the nice area. I didn't say EVERY SINGLE APARTMENT COMMUNITY west of downtown was nicer than the pricer highrises on Georgia Ave. However, all of the really affluent areas of SS are south of East-West Highway and west of 16th street.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM

772 posts, read 1,143,067 times
I agree that there is essentially no racial tension in SS. Every now and then I'll see a few people of less color stick their noses up in the air, but that's about it and pales in comparison to the issues that you see in NYC, Chicago, Miami, LA, etc. At least in this day in age, there doesn't seem to be a lot of racism in MoCo period.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Maybe you didn't read my post right. I INCLUDED downtown SS in the nice area. I didn't say EVERY SINGLE APARTMENT COMMUNITY west of downtown was nicer than the pricer highrises on Georgia Ave. However, all of the really affluent areas of SS are south of East-West Highway and west of 16th street.
Right, and I'm saying you're 100% incorrect, that's all. You just said the two poorest areas SS were the "really affluent areas of SS." I'm thinking maybe you're getting your easts and wests confused or don't know the area's real estate at all. West of 16th is exclusively cheap class C apartments/subsidized housing complexes (no, seriously, you named literally the only area of SS that hasn't seen an ounce of revitalization) with moderately priced 1950s-era SFHs behind them. South of East-West in Silver Spring consists of a couple low-rent motels, newer subsidized housing apartments, a couple of condo buildings, a storage facility, and garden-style Class C apartments further out west.

Alternatively, east and especially north of downtown (the Woodside Park neighborhood isn't in downtown SS - it's north of DTSS - that's why it has its own name) have historically been the wealthier areas - with 1920s SFHs coupled with newer townhome infill. This price gap between north/east and south/west has only increased since DTSS has revitalized. Unfortunately, the above-ground train tracks largely cuts off the west and south sides of Silver Spring from the vibrancy found in downtown. That's likely the primary reason the areas you call "really affluent" are factually the poorest parts of Silver Spring. Take away those train tracks and I bet you Summit Hills and all the apartments west of 16th would have been redeveloped or at least renovated by now. Ditto for the grungy motels of South Silver Spring. Sucks to have that physical barrier in the way.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times
Quote:
That's odd considering only complaint I've ever heard about Quarry House is that it attracts an inordinate number of 20-something hipsters. Your elderly father sounds awesome; I've never seen a senior citizen hang out in an underground dive bar before. Maybe you should try it sometime and see that the crowd is pretty young. Then again, you seem kinda douchey so maybe I'd prefer hanging out with your kickass dad instead, anyways.
lol you're defending Silver Spring as an awesome nightlife spot My father is a nice man, I'm sure a crowd of 60 year olds talking about golf is your scene.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-05-2014 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 07-21-2014, 06:52 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,776 times
yea, I've never stayed past happy hour in DTSS... in DC, it is easy to get carried away during happy hour and miss the metro. DTSS, not so much. Or I've been going to the wrong places... which could be true. lol

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-05-2014 at 06:09 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM

253 posts, read 655,163 times
I'm originally from NYC (born and raised) and moved here 9+ years ago. I have friends that live in SS that I visit and hang out on weekend nights. It does have a nice city vibe, lots of stuff going on in the center of the city area (drinking, eating.) It is pretty diverse and you don't feel out of place if you're a minority. If you don't drive and plan on taking the metro, then this is great because you're super close to DC, and if you plan on going back home, you can hop on the Mega bus or Amtrak. Coming from NY, the prices won't scare you at least. The rent for a good size 2 bedroom is about 1600-1700 and includes utilities. I currently live in Baltimore county, but if it wasn't for my job, I'd move to SS in a heartbeat!

Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
There's a fountain? Where is the fountain?
I wish that space was an artificial park Rockville town center style rather than the concrete empty space they have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland