Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,551 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone on here may be a sign language interpreter, or know about the field for this region-- my husband is a certified American Sign Language interpreter (3 yrs experience) and we are hoping to move to the Maryland/DC area from NYC, so we're trying to find out what his job prospects will be like. We've found lists of all the interpreting agencies located in and around DC, and are aware that Gallaudet University is located there, but he specializes in K-12 educational interpreting so we're hoping to find out which agencies cover educational settings, and possibly also if any agencies have a better reputation than others. He also does a lot of medical interpreting and has done- and will do- freelance/short term gigs, but a more full time placement in a K-12 setting would be ideal (in a perfect world ). We'd also prefer to live outside of DC if possible (we're leaving NYC to get away from urban living), but I'm not sure if there is any/enough interpreting work in the suburbs, and I've heard that commuting into DC can be a bit of a nightmare? We're also open to living in NOVA, but so far I've preferred the look of the towns in MD so I thought I would start here. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
There are plenty of interpreting needs in the suburbs. I would say that the majority of Deaf people in this region live in the suburbs. Many work there too. I wish I could answer about agencies, but I don't know enough about them. Most of the interpreters I use aren't from agencies.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:49 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Maryland School for the Deaf in Frederick may be a place to start asking. They may have a list

Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
There is a school for the deaf in Columbia (well its where Columbia, EC and Elkridge meet), right on 108; might be a good place to start.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,551 times
This is all very helpful information! Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland