Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 03:04 PM

223 posts, read 278,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The dialect regions of the English in the US are NOT the same as the cultural regions that often times share the same, or similar, names.

If you are talking about dialect, it is a good idea to get the terminology correct so others understand what you are trying to say. Claiming MD has areas where natives speak "Northern dialects" is incorrect. Maryland is divided between Midland dialects and Southern dialects.

The dialects that are spoken in MD, and how linguists have labeled and defined them, have no bearing on whether one accepts "Mid-Atlantic" as a culture region, or not.
Well, Mid-Atlantic can also be referred to the Atlantic coast. North Atlantic, Mid Atlantic, and South Atlantic.

My point was, there are areas of MD near wilmington that sound very similiar to Philadelphia. Im not even talking about Baltimore, strictly philly and wilmington. Im pretty sure Philly is a northern city if mid-atlantic can't be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 03:36 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,317,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
Well, Mid-Atlantic can also be referred to the Atlantic coast. North Atlantic, Mid Atlantic, and South Atlantic.

My point was, there are areas of MD near wilmington that sound very similiar to Philadelphia. Im not even talking about Baltimore, strictly philly and wilmington. Im pretty sure Philly is a northern city if mid-atlantic can't be used.
Sure, but Philly is still a Midland dialect, not a Northern dialect. These aren't just loose terms, they are specific linguistic definitions with univocal meanings. If you are going to discuss dialect, use the right terminology so the rest of us can follow your train of thought.

Regionalism is a much different and looser field of study. Terms like "Southern" "Northern" "Mid-Atlantic" in this field are squishy and can mean different things to different people...in short the terminology isn't univocal like it is in linguistics.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:56 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,057,183 times
Sniffable Cow,
Where in Maryland except for in counties that border Pennsylvania can you find Northern Culture? Northern History? Northern Demographics?

Regarding the civil war, Kentucky was in the Union. I guess it is a Midwestern state. Remember, at Wyman Park near Johns Hopkins's Homewood campus , there is a statue that honors generals Jackson and Lee. Yes, the confederate generals. In North Baltimore.

Maryland was no Delaware in terms of its relation with slavery. Let's not push that under the rug.

Can you also explain how Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic culture can somehow spread as far as it wants? (Rich and college educated =/= culturally northeastern).

Old 02-19-2016, 07:59 PM

What makes Lexington Park, MD in the same cultural region as Poughkeepsie, NY?

Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Sniffable Cow,
Where in Maryland except for in counties that border Pennsylvania can you find Northern Culture? Northern History? Northern Demographics?

Regarding the civil war, Kentucky was in the Union. I guess it is a Midwestern state. Remember, at Wyman Park near Johns Hopkins's Homewood campus , there is a statue that honors generals Jackson and Lee. Yes, the confederate generals. In North Baltimore.

Maryland was no Delaware in terms of its relation with slavery. Let's not push that under the rug.

Can you also explain how Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic culture can somehow spread as far as it wants? (Rich and college educated =/= culturally northeastern).
I don't remember saying MD was Delaware... Nor did I say northern Maryland was northern without a blink of southern culture. I just said northern culture can be found, and that is a true statement. Never said it had no southern parts.

I do understand that MD had support net for the confederacy, but by the tell of people fighting for the union, I just said a big amount also supported Union, possibly as the majority if you specifically focus on war numbers.

I am just trying to make sure we don't forget about some info bits. I recognize MD is not New York, but at the same time, it isn't North Carolina. It just seems off for MD to be called the same as either, since it lacks enough culture from either of the groups to be firmly called.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
What makes Lexington Park, MD in the same cultural region as Poughkeepsie, NY?
That wasn't no where close to what I was implying. But I'll reply in a question:

Do you think mid Atlantic is a good region for MD? I think so

Old 02-19-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Sure, but Philly is still a Midland dialect, not a Northern dialect. These aren't just loose terms, they are specific linguistic definitions with univocal meanings. If you are going to discuss dialect, use the right terminology so the rest of us can follow your train of thought.

Regionalism is a much different and looser field of study. Terms like "Southern" "Northern" "Mid-Atlantic" in this field are squishy and can mean different things to different people...in short the terminology isn't univocal like it is in linguistics.
Oh ok, my bad, I was only talking geographic wise, but philly is a midland dialect itself.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:31 AM

I never said that you said MD was like DE. I mentioned Poughkeepsie because people know that it is Mid-Atlantic and say MD is, too. l also never said the NoMD was southern. I was just showing that the want to secede extended far into the state and not just in some little place on the east bank of the Potomac River.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
I don't remember saying MD was Delaware... Nor did I say northern Maryland was northern without a blink of southern culture. I just said northern culture can be found, and that is a true statement. Never said it had no southern parts.

I do understand that MD had support net for the confederacy, but by the tell of people fighting for the union, I just said a big amount also supported Union, possibly as the majority if you specifically focus on war numbers.

I am just trying to make sure we don't forget about some info bits. I recognize MD is not New York, but at the same time, it isn't North Carolina. It just seems off for MD to be called the same as either, since it lacks enough culture from either of the groups to be firmly called.
Right. The northern third is southern PA and the rest is eastern Virginia or culture-less suburbs.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I never said that you said MD was like DE. I mentioned Poughkeepsie because people know that it is Mid-Atlantic and say MD is, too. l also never said the NoMD was southern. I was just showing that the want to secede extended far into the state and not just in some little place on the east bank of the Potomac River.
I dont really consider poughkeepsie the mid-atlantic. Infact, I sometimes consider NYC the mid-atlantic sometimes, but New york is geographically northern and clearly northern. The only reason I call specific states mid-atlantic is because either the regional culture isnt as intense, or the state doesnt fit into either region. I usually say PA,NJ,MD,AND DE are mid-atlantic, sometimes calling VA and NY the mid-atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland