Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 04:11 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Interesting, I am very much both, and not remotely conservative. Not disagreeing, Just an observation.
My post had nothing about conservative or liberal in it (well, maybe a glancing blow) but was addressing a question about underlying culture.

As Westside mentioned, that part of the state tends to be self-reliant in individual matters (as is true for most rural areas) and doesn't really have the plantation mindset much of the state has.

An example of that mindset happened here a couple weeks ago. Water service went out for ten minutes for scheduled maintenance which had been announced, this was in the middle of a weekday, and five people, instead of calling Town Hall, called Steny Hoyer's office to find out what was going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Quote:
As Westside mentioned, that part of the state tends to be self-reliant in individual matters (as is true for most rural areas) and doesn't really have the plantation mindset much of the state has.
*I tend to disagree! The plantation and servitude mindset is something that I've encountered in some of these rural enclaves in the state. Also, self-reliant can mean many different things to people. I know many folks in rural Maryland and W. Va who can barely feed themselves and their children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My post had nothing about conservative or liberal in it (well, maybe a glancing blow) but was addressing a question about underlying culture.

An example of that mindset happened here a couple weeks ago. Water service went out for ten minutes for scheduled maintenance which had been announced, this was in the middle of a weekday, and five people, instead of calling Town Hall, called Steny Hoyer's office to find out what was going on.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*I tend to disagree! The plantation and servitude mindset is something that I've encountered in some of these rural enclaves in the state. Also, self-reliant can mean many different things to people. I know many folks in rural Maryland and W. Va who can barely feed themselves and their children.
You don't know what "tends to" means? I forgot, you deal in absolutes where one example means that what you saw is true of all.

And I have always doubted that you ever have ventured much outside the Baltimore Beltway or I95 corridor.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:47 AM

OK! Thank You for the explanation. But, don't you think these Southern ante-bellum attitudes overlay into the culture of far western Maryland?!! I mean, I've spent some time out there between Clear Springs, Cumberland, MD, Berkley Springs, W.Va as far as Winchester, VA and there is still an dominant air of this Southern ante-bellum attitude to communities out there.

Quote:
The underlying culture of far western Maryland is Appalachian/Scots-Irish with an overlay of German single mindedness.

Not anything near the Southern ante-bellum attitudes ("we rich and educated people know what's best for you") of the I95 corridor.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:59 AM

Miscalculation on your part! You don't know me or where I've ventured out to. Just because I bang on the state of Maryland and its people, cultural and illogical behavior and mannerism, you attempt to belittle and challenge me for what purposes?!!

Honestly, I could care less if you have doubt in me where I've been. Your perspective is important and valuable to me as a used condom. GTFOH!!!!

Quote:
You don't know what "tends to" means? I forgot, you deal in absolutes where one example means that what you saw is true of all.

And I have always doubted that you ever have ventured much outside the Baltimore Beltway or I95 corridor.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Miscalculation on your part! You don't know me or where I've ventured out to. Just because I bang on the state of Maryland and its people, cultural and illogical behavior and mannerism, you attempt to belittle and challenge me for what purposes?!!

Honestly, I could care less if you have doubt in me where I've been. Your perspective is important and valuable to me as a used condom. GTFOH!!!!
And the above is why you get ignored most of the time.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:40 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
The question posed in the thread was which county was most conservative. I opined that not only was Garrett the most conservative, it was the winner of the "Which of these 24 things is not like the others."

Predictably the last comment was what got the most attention and seems to have brought the nasty troll out from under his bridge. Just block him like I do, life is too short to read that kind of drivel.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:39 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
That's exactly what I want to hear-- people's personal perspectives! I can find data to back up voting patterns, political party affiliation, ethnic, age and income make up of counties. I want to hear what people's individual opinions and experiences are.

Couple of things and observations.
1)Maryland if #5 on the list of densely populated states.[list=1][*]Most Densely Populated U.S. States - WorldAtlas.com[/LIST
Honestly can say that in the 30 plus years of living in Maryland there is good and bad in all the counties.The funny thing is there is a little bit of what has been described is in all of the counties.Agree some maybe more than others.WestsideBoy says Garret county for being conservative but I'll bet he has never been to the 7th District ...The OP said they weren't interested in "political numbers",I assume he is looking for the different personalities of each county and as I have expressed there is a little of all in every county in MD.I do think that Ih77 and westsideboy are responding to get a rise but as for their actual knowledge of all the counties in MD it does seem lacking.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:42 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The question posed in the thread was which county was most conservative. I opined that not only was Garrett the most conservative, it was the winner of the "Which of these 24 things is not like the others."
l.

No it wasn't. The OP said and I quote....
"That's exactly what I want to hear-- people's personal perspectives! I can find data to back up voting patterns, political party affiliation, ethnic, age and income make up of counties. I want to hear what people's individual opinions and experiences are." end quote

Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Couple of things and observations.
1)Maryland if #5 on the list of densely populated states.[list=1][*]Most Densely Populated U.S. States - WorldAtlas.com[/LIST
Honestly can say that in the 30 plus years of living in Maryland there is good and bad in all the counties.The funny thing is there is a little bit of what has been described is in all of the counties.Agree some maybe more than others.WestsideBoy says Garret county for being conservative but I'll bet he has never been to the 7th District ...The OP said they weren't interested in "political numbers",I assume he is looking for the different personalities of each county and as I have expressed there is a little of all in every county in MD.I do think that Ih77 and westsideboy are responding to get a rise but as for their actual knowledge of all the counties in MD it does seem lacking.
Yes, exactly-- the "personality" of the counties-- a bit of the flavor of the areas. I can read stats, but sometimes I do this and sort of scratch my head because I don't see it in the day to day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland