Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2021, 02:27 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,695,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I can see the concern, they need to make sure those getting the 1st also are able to get the 2nd in the time necessary. Partially vaccinating the population is not the answer. But I'm still confused. Does the state have a lot of vaccines that they are not distributing?
MD has received 1,435,375 doses and given 1,011,323 of them (meaning 30% are sitting unused). Alabama (31% unused) is the only state worse than MD in that respect.

Specific to first doses: MD has received 966,000. 732,236 of those first doses have been used. This 230K+ unused first dose gap is slightly wider than usual (most weeks its been sitting at 200-210K). This is because there's been a 11% week-over-week decline in doses given, presumably because of the recent icy weather.

I don't understand where the bulk of these 230K+ first doses are sitting or why the number remains so high week after week, month after month. Listening to Hogan point out supply constraints is infuriating. Of course we all wish drug companies had unlimited resources and MD had 14M doses instead of 1.4M, but if we're not even going to use our 1.4M then wtf is he even talking about?

Last edited by bufflove; 02-20-2021 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 04:13 PM

45,466 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
MD has received 1,435,375 doses and given 1,011,323 of them (meaning 30% are sitting unused). Alabama (31% unused) is the only state worse than MD in that respect.

Specific to first doses: MD has received 966,000. 732,236 of those first doses have been used. This 230K+ unused first dose gap is slightly wider than usual (most weeks its been sitting at 200-210K). This is because there's been a 11% week-over-week decline in doses given, presumably because of the recent icy weather.

I don't understand where the bulk of these 230K+ first doses are sitting or why the number remains so high week after week, month after month. Listening to Hogan point out supply constraints is infuriating. Of course we all wish drug companies had unlimited resources and MD had 14M doses instead of 1.4M, but if we're not even going to use our 1.4M then wtf is he even talking about?
It's pretty hard to claim "shortage" if you haven't used 1/4 of your supply and are carrying it over. Some of this week is certainly weather and I'm guessing that the various administerers might not have enough staff to inject it all.

Then you have a couple places gatekeeping. Here in Calvert the Office of Aging, it turns out, is the one scheduling the over-65 injections but only if you have had prior contact with it. The was the genesis of the invitation only injection party last week I mentioned earlier. If you had gone to one of the Senior Centers before they closed or had used the Office for something else you got an appointment set up by them. If you haven't had prior contact then no shot.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:16 AM

16,294 posts, read 10,440,979 times
Well that article regarding the first dose is encouraging the fact that we only lag Alabama with regard to unused vaccines is infuriating.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:00 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,572,406 times
Not relevant to Md per se, but useful for perspective...

https://www.axios.com/vaccine-distri...sam&stream=top

Old 02-21-2021, 02:52 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,689,868 times
The weather across the country has caused havoc with the deliveries . Not all the fault of the states.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:26 AM

Saw a stat recently that gave me pause. Not sure if I have the number exact but I'm close.
Nationally, I think, of the people with diabetes that are hospitalised with Covid, 21% die within two weeks. I have D. Now wearing two masks.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:55 AM

45,466 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Saw a stat recently that gave me pause. Not sure if I have the number exact but I'm close.
Nationally, I think, of the people with diabetes that are hospitalised with Covid, 21% die within two weeks. I have D. Now wearing two masks.
Yep. Diabetes is one of the more serious comorbidities after respiratory issues.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:52 AM

Some improvement on the way....
Quote:
New mass vax site on the way: Maryland and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will open a COVID-19 mass vaccination site in Charles County in the next few weeks, Gov. Lawrence J. Hogan Jr. (R) announced yesterday. The state is likely to open additional vaccination locations in Western Maryland and on the Eastern Shore soon; Montgomery, the state’s largest county, will not get one, the governor appeared to suggest.
https://www.marylandmatters.org/2021...harles-county/

Quote:
More vaccines headed to states: Executives from five COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers told Congress yesterday that they expect to significantly boost the number of shots delivered to states in the coming weeks. The Biden administration is frantically seeking ways to distribute more doses to state public health officials, who say they have the capacity to get more shots into arms than they currently are administering.
https://www.marylandmatters.org/2021...expected-soon/

Old 02-24-2021, 10:11 AM

7,035 posts, read 11,334,276 times
Quote:
Ack. Sorry to hear that, stay safe.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:52 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,107,367 times
Quote:

That was why I started taking isolation very seriously last March. Since then I have only been in buildings other than my home 7 times. 3- visits to get my periodic labwork done, 2 visits to the dentist, and two trips to the county health department to get my COVID shots. Other than that no one has been in our house and even family members that live outside our home only visit outside and stay at least 6 feet away. Once my wife gets her second shot and waits at least two weeks we may start making occasional short trips inside the grocery store for things that never seem to be available for curbside or things like fresh fruits and veggies that she has not been real happy with the quality when someone els picks it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland