Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 11:16 AM

27 posts, read 11,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I would not consider Mt Airy to be a rural burb, we are a town on it's own. From your list no on Brunswick. It has a lot of new development and the growth that came with it. But at it's core it's a dumpy little town full of rednecks.

When we moved to Carroll County I really thought I liked Westminster. I was up there yesterday and took the dog for a walk on Main Street. But outside of Main Street it too has a lot of dumpy low rent areas and is a long way from DC.

Of course I think Mt Airy is great, that's because everyone who lives here thinks it's great too because it is. A 40 minute drive to Gaithersburg, my commute for 16 years, gets you to a MARC station that will be closer to DC than say Brunswick. So a longer car ride but a shorter train ride.

I can't say enough good things about Frederick which is a gorgeous town against the mountains that is big enough to have most everything you need other than an airport. It has access to so much great outdoor fun including the Upper Potomac River where you can hike or bike the towpath for days and swim in the river anywhere. Free concerts in Baker Park right in town, a fantastic downtown full of bars and restaurants. For a single it would be a far better choice than family oriented Mt Airy. From there it's a beautiful 25 minute drive to Brunswick or Point of Rocks. The great thing about Frederick is you can leave the mall, go south 2 miles and you are looking at beautiful farmland backed by small mountains.

One last thing: Let's Go Red Sox!!!!!

what is the closest MARC station from Mt Airy ?
GO BRUINS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 11:50 AM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonianRebel1 View Post
thank you for the breakdown
only one correction , when it comes to shopping, my research has showed there is everything you need around Maryland live
True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I would not consider Mt Airy to be a rural burb, we are a town on it's own. From your list no on Brunswick. It has a lot of new development and the growth that came with it. But at it's core it's a dumpy little town full of rednecks.

When we moved to Carroll County I really thought I liked Westminster. I was up there yesterday and took the dog for a walk on Main Street. But outside of Main Street it too has a lot of dumpy low rent areas and is a long way from DC.

Of course I think Mt Airy is great, that's because everyone who lives here thinks it's great too because it is. A 40 minute drive to Gaithersburg, my commute for 16 years, gets you to a MARC station that will be closer to DC than say Brunswick. So a longer car ride but a shorter train ride.

I can't say enough good things about Frederick which is a gorgeous town against the mountains that is big enough to have most everything you need other than an airport. It has access to so much great outdoor fun including the Upper Potomac River where you can hike or bike the towpath for days and swim in the river anywhere. Free concerts in Baker Park right in town, a fantastic downtown full of bars and restaurants. For a single it would be a far better choice than family oriented Mt Airy. From there it's a beautiful 25 minute drive to Brunswick or Point of Rocks. The great thing about Frederick is you can leave the mall, go south 2 miles and you are looking at beautiful farmland backed by small mountains.

One last thing: Let's Go Red Sox!!!!!
Yeah, for "Brunswick" I'm mainly referring more to the newer developments. The town itself does leave a LOT to desire. It has Beans in the Belfry and Boxcar Burger but ehh...that's about it?

As for Mount Airy - yeah, the "rural burb" I'm referring to is more "Green Valley" even though it's still Mount Airy zip. I've been to the town itself a few times (I live in New Market/Lake Linganore area, so it's like a 20 mins drive if even that) and the vibe overall reminds me of a less developed version of Sykesville/Eldersburg.

Quote:
what is the closest MARC station from Mt Airy ?
GO BRUINS
Probably Germantown, about 30 mins drive.

Worst case you can always drive down to Shady Grove Metro which is about 40 mins.

Old 01-25-2024, 12:00 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
FWIW, "dumpy" small towns can be very nice places to live as they are affordable, offer older housing stock for people who aren't into (or can't afford) custom or spec. build houses, and are far more likely to be "real" communities where people have bonds of family, friends, church, social clubs with their neighbors. Not everyone likes the idea of seeing your coworker, old school buddy, church pastor in the grocery store or while out taking a walk, for other people building this familiarity is what life is supposed to be like.

Besides, even in "dumpy" towns there are nice streets and nice neighborhoods.

I am a bit surprised anyone would consider Westminster "dumpy." I went to college there 20 years ago, visited as recently as 10 probably, and most of the town is well kept IMO. The only rundownish areas I recall were around the college (Bond St./PA Ave.) and Green. St., and some areas near there. I ask sincerely if anything has changed? If you come into town on Rt. 27, and leave on Littlestown Road you always got a tour of those areas as you entered and exited Main St., but other parts of town?

Old 01-25-2024, 12:38 PM

can someone please give me some info on these areas:
Finksburg, MD 21048
Keedysville, MD 21756
Boonsboro, MD 21713
Middletown, MD 21769

Old 01-25-2024, 12:48 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Finksburg, MD 21048
Keedysville, MD 21756
Boonsboro, MD 21713
Middletown, MD 21769
Keedysville and Boonsboro are in Washington County, MD on "the other side of the mountain" from Frederick County. Middletown is in a valley in between.

There are more rural, less suburban/exurban and probably further away from your transportation options. Middletown is a pricey area, the other two are known for being the cheaper version of well, Middletown.

I don't know anything about Finksburg, well nothing that is newer than 20 years ago.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Keedysville and Boonsboro are in Washington County, MD on "the other side of the mountain" from Frederick County. Middletown is in a valley in between.

There are more rural, less suburban/exurban and probably further away from your transportation options. Middletown is a pricey area, the other two are known for being the cheaper version of well, Middletown.

I don't know anything about Finksburg, well nothing that is newer than 20 years ago.
Good to know I truly appreciate this

Old 01-25-2024, 01:21 PM

a user here sated to stay away from Edgewood, MD 21040
is it really that bad ? Baltimore bad ?

Old 01-25-2024, 01:40 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Finksburg, MD 21048
Keedysville, MD 21756
Boonsboro, MD 21713
Middletown, MD 21769
Just a note, Maryland may be a bit different pertaining to "towns" than you're used to, there are only 157 municipalities so while you may be told to "look at the town of ____________" it may well be an unincorporated area under the jurisdiction of the County.

EX: I mentioned Solomon's, somewhat jokingly but not really, it's unincorporated so the Board of County Commissioners contains your local elected officials.

Of your above list Finksburg is unincorporated so is actually a Zip Code that may encompass dozens, if not more than a hundred, square miles.

Living in an incorporated Town as a homeowner will mean a higher property tax load, you'll have Town as well as County property taxes plus possibly, most likely, utility charges for water and sewer. In many County jurisdictions you don't have the latter, you're on well and septic.

I'm going to comment that you're getting very far afield in your quest to find a residence if you're going to work in DC. You're looking at an hour, or multiple hours, of commuting time (both ways) no matter the conveyance.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
a user here sated to stay away from Edgewood, MD 21040
is it really that bad ? Baltimore bad ?
Depends...the SFH area are probably ok-ish and definitely not "Baltimore bad". The schools are awful, though, which does chase people away.

Quote:
Finksburg, MD 21048
Keedysville, MD 21756
Boonsboro, MD 21713
Middletown, MD 21769
The only one I'm semi-familiar with would be Middletown, which is a fairly nice area.

Either way, Boonsboro, Keedysville, and Finksburg are REALLY far from DC. Those area are cheaper for a reason lol.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:00 PM

Jeebus, Maryland has cape cod prices in southie areas !!!the state must be full of barneys
how does a chowderhead with his Charlestown briefcase & Southie tuxedo supposed to find a home FFS
unreal lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland