Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 03:52 PM

27 posts, read 11,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
The clusters in eastern part of Frederick Co (Urbana, Linganore, Oakdale) are usually consider the best schools, along with Middletown. The "in-town" schools depends (The high schools are ok for what they are, some of the elementary schools are not as "good" but mainly due to the area's demographic, i.e. lots of lower income Hispanics). The schools do have some overcrowding problem due to the recent growth in the county overall.

That being said, I thought you're not concern about schools? (Which is why I suggested looking in Jefferson Co WV?)

You're from Boston area where people pay just as much for a house that's old. Is there any different anyway?

Actually maybe that's why you're used to 1-1.5 hr commute on MBTA b/c of price .

I simply wanted to understand the school situation, I have no kids and don't want any.
Boston is expensive because there is no land for new construction , it is an old city, think Georgetown in DC.
Also with all due respect New England is absolutely superior in quality of life than MD. Having said that the job mart is beet in MD due to the Federal Govt policies aka print print and print
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 04:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 792,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then you're pretty goddamned dumb. When I say that I know that "hundreds (thousands?) of people commute from" an area I didn't say that I "knew" them, just can read the statistics that are available from various sources.

As far as Solomon's goes, you seemed bound and determined to find a place where you'd have a two hour commute (it's usually a bit less from there) from places that can somewhat be described as "you can't get there from here". In point of fact, all of Southern Maryland has thousands of commuters out of it on a daily basis, most going to DC and its suburbs and even to Virginia.

You mentioned bars, Solomon's has them and much more nightlife than someone else mentioned, mostly because of NAS PAX right across the river.

Suit yourself as to who you pay attention to.
As much as I laugh about the idea of being in Solomons, I agree - OP is literally asking about places like Boonsboro...

Maybe you should have suggest the Twin Beaches instead .

Old 01-26-2024, 08:36 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonianRebel1 View Post
can someone please give me some info on these areas:
Finksburg, MD 21048
Keedysville, MD 21756
Boonsboro, MD 21713
Middletown, MD 21769

I can give you information on all of them.

I grew up near Finksburg. That would be Carroll County School System. It is more a bedroom area between Reisterstown and Westminster than anything else It is not a 'town' as such. Post office, small shopping center and a traffic light. I did not even consider it when I came back to the area and had a job is Silver Spring 30 years ago because of commute time and traffic has only gotten worse.

I live near Middletown now. Over the years I have commuted to downtown DC by driving to the Monocacy Station and taking a commuter bus down to Shady Grove Metro and then down to Metro Center station in DC. I did that for a couple years then changed jobs and got a job in the Shady Grove area and began driving down to the job. Middletown is a great small town that is very family oriented. Town web site has Town Planning documents ( they just did there periodic Comprehensive plan which explains all sorts of things) middletown.md.us. Middletown is in Frederick County. We have a several reasonable restaurants in town but generally most shopping, restaurants, etc is in Frederick City. We sometimes go to Hagerstown instead which is a little further away (~20 miles instead of ~10)

Boonsboro is 'over the Mountain from us on the old road to Hagerstown (US 40A) It is in Washington County and is a little smaller than Middletown but might be better known nationally in some circles because it is the home of the author Nora Roberts who owns a niche hotel (The Boonsboro Inn, used in at least one series of books). Where Middletown would generally travel to Frederick for services Boonsbore (and Keedysville) would head to Hagerstown first and Frederick second.

Keedysville is the smaller than Middletown or Boonsboro but is a town and has an identity. One restaurant that is very plain.I would say it is a hamlet more than a town. It is in Washington County.

All Schools in Maryland are organzied and run at the County Level. So Boonsboro and Keedysville both feed into the Boonsboro feeder area in Washington County.

A couple of my kids work in the Washington Metro area. They have fairly liberal 'work at home policies in their respective companies. One lives down in the Rockville area and one in Frederick. Neither have kids and are more interested in 'social life' than I (or most Middletown residents I believe) do.

Hope this helps

Old 01-26-2024, 09:25 PM

27 posts, read 11,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I can give you information on all of them.

I grew up near Finksburg. That would be Carroll County School System. It is more a bedroom area between Reisterstown and Westminster than anything else It is not a 'town' as such. Post office, small shopping center and a traffic light. I did not even consider it when I came back to the area and had a job is Silver Spring 30 years ago because of commute time and traffic has only gotten worse.

I live near Middletown now. Over the years I have commuted to downtown DC by driving to the Monocacy Station and taking a commuter bus down to Shady Grove Metro and then down to Metro Center station in DC. I did that for a couple years then changed jobs and got a job in the Shady Grove area and began driving down to the job. Middletown is a great small town that is very family oriented. Town web site has Town Planning documents ( they just did there periodic Comprehensive plan which explains all sorts of things) middletown.md.us. Middletown is in Frederick County. We have a several reasonable restaurants in town but generally most shopping, restaurants, etc is in Frederick City. We sometimes go to Hagerstown instead which is a little further away (~20 miles instead of ~10)

Boonsboro is 'over the Mountain from us on the old road to Hagerstown (US 40A) It is in Washington County and is a little smaller than Middletown but might be better known nationally in some circles because it is the home of the author Nora Roberts who owns a niche hotel (The Boonsboro Inn, used in at least one series of books). Where Middletown would generally travel to Frederick for services Boonsbore (and Keedysville) would head to Hagerstown first and Frederick second.

Keedysville is the smaller than Middletown or Boonsboro but is a town and has an identity. One restaurant that is very plain.I would say it is a hamlet more than a town. It is in Washington County.

All Schools in Maryland are organzied and run at the County Level. So Boonsboro and Keedysville both feed into the Boonsboro feeder area in Washington County.

A couple of my kids work in the Washington Metro area. They have fairly liberal 'work at home policies in their respective companies. One lives down in the Rockville area and one in Frederick. Neither have kids and are more interested in 'social life' than I (or most Middletown residents I believe) do.

Hope this helps
thank you so much for the this breakdown

Old 01-26-2024, 10:05 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
I simply wanted to understand the school situation, I have no kids and don't want any.
Boston is expensive because there is no land for new construction , it is an old city, think Georgetown in DC.
Also with all due respect New England is absolutely superior in quality of life than MD. Having said that the job mart is beet in MD due to the Federal Govt policies aka print print and print
I agree with you that the quality of life in New England is generally superior to the quality of life in Maryland, but one has to have more money to live in New England than Maryland. So when you account for the fewer dollars needed to live here, it all works out even, and Maryland may be a better value.

As for the bold print, i have no idea what you are trying to say.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:39 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
lol calling names now !!! thanks for the confirmation, Words have meanings!!!
give you a last hint, you are on my ignore list period
North Beach is a long time poster here, he is well known and well liked. Not sure why you felt the need to attack a member in good standing as you come here for help but that help from me is now ending.

You keep trotting out Finksburg despite multiple posters explaining just how long the commute will be. You said schools are unimportant, then asked about schools. It's very difficult to help someone like that and with your tirade the motivation is now gone.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:43 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I agree with you that the quality of life in New England is generally superior to the quality of life in Maryland, but one has to have more money to live in New England than Maryland. So when you account for the fewer dollars needed to live here, it all works out even, and Maryland may be a better value.

As for the bold print, i have no idea what you are trying to say.
Depends on what you like. For me come April I'm damned glad I live in warmer Maryland. Not a fan of long winters.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:21 AM

45,350 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
North Beach is a long time poster here, he is well known and well liked. Not sure why you felt the need to attack a member in good standing as you come here for help but that help from me is now ending.

You keep trotting out Finksburg despite multiple posters explaining just how long the commute will be. You said schools are unimportant, then asked about schools. It's very difficult to help someone like that and with your tirade the motivation is now gone.
In his defense I did tell him he was dumb.

Old 01-27-2024, 11:36 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I know hundreds (thousands?) of people do that now but the commute if he's Downtown would be a killer. What is it, two hours each way on a good day? I know how long it takes me to drive it and I just learned the number on the speed limit signs are a maximum, not a minimum.

I don't think he's mentioned what money he's willing to spend or what he's looking at. Yes, a new McMansion even here in Calvert will start at $600K and go up, but there are older, smaller houses here for less (except people are now getting 2006 stupid for pricing their houses and they're sitting).
Quote:
How many people do you actually know ? You must be the Mayah of MD lol
I am an adult and phrases like "I know hundreds (thousands)" which you employ constantly and loosely are a red flag to me

Sorry i cant take your advise seriously anymore , once you stated you were "half joking but not really about Solomon". just an FYI

Thank you
Bostonian, just in case English is not your first language, let me break this down for you. When NBP said "I know hundreds (thousands?) of people do that now," there are two possible meanings. One, he is personally acquainted with hundreds of people who commute to DC. (Maybe he hangs out at the Pindell Park & Ride every morning and shakes their hands as they board their bus.) Or, two, he is aware ("I know") of the fact that hundreds of people commute downtown. Me, personally, I don't personally know anyone in Southern Maryland who commutes to DC. But I know, for an absolute fact, that hundreds of people do it. (Used to be a lot more, before COVID.) See the difference?

Now, I'm sure you'll want to extend an apology to North Beach Person for misinterpreting what he said and speaking negatively to him about it. Right?

Old 01-27-2024, 12:55 PM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
new forum poster here. I'm hoping I can get some expert guidance from locals or at least people familiar with the area.
is Westmister or Frederick a good place to buy ?
How is Manchester MD ? Carrol County?
Open to suggestions

I am from Boston ,single Male, Hockey guy and will commute to DC through MARC (Dont mind the 1 hrs commute). Looking to maximize my purchase,
OP, a completely different direction here but why not in Baltimore? If looking to maximize and see appreciation in your purchase there's no better option. A close proximity location to MARC out of Baltimore is also a perk as well as one hour drive time. The Highlandtown neighborhood right next to trendy Canton is a good option for your budget.

https://livebaltimore.com/neighborhoods/highlandtown/
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6?from=srp-map
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0?from=srp-map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland