Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:42 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,599 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm glad to here there isn't a big "touristy" season. That's a large reason why we ruled out Florida or South Carolina. There are a lot of tourists in those locations and that isn't really what we wanted. I obviously know there will be more people in Annapolis in the summer...but not like the extremely popular vacation spots.

I am going to get started looking at the best apartment rentals online and on Craigslist. My husband and I are very excited...even though it will probably be at least 9-10 months before we move. But we have to save money, make a trip or two there, find jobs, locate a place to live etc. There is so much to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 PM

385 posts, read 1,920,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
Well, I'm glad to here there isn't a big "touristy" season. That's a large reason why we ruled out Florida or South Carolina. There are a lot of tourists in those locations and that isn't really what we wanted. I obviously know there will be more people in Annapolis in the summer...but not like the extremely popular vacation spots.

I am going to get started looking at the best apartment rentals online and on Craigslist. My husband and I are very excited...even though it will probably be at least 9-10 months before we move. But we have to save money, make a trip or two there, find jobs, locate a place to live etc. There is so much to do!
I'm curious, what made you decide on Annapolis??

And here is an interesting article reported on by local news: http://wjz.com/local/blu.ribbon.2.814016.html (broken link)

Old 09-10-2008, 03:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
Anytime should be ok. The only event I'd 'miss' if I was trying to avoid tourists is the Boat Shows. They can cause a bit of traffic and mess down around the city dock (though the rest of the area isn't that bad). You could come up for a home football game and watch the Midshipmen march through the town from the Academy to the football stadium (all 4,000+). Kind of neat to see.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:08 PM

Well, my husband actually interviewed with a school in Annapolis in the early spring, but couldn't accept the job because I still had to finish up school. But before he decided not to pursue the job, we did a lot of researching about the city. We really liked what we saw and have been interested in it ever since. We have researched many different places....Seattle, Orlando, DC, Boston, Lexington, Portland (Maine)....but we still liked what we saw in Annapolis. The Ohio job market for teachers is not too hot right now and while it will improve in the future I cannot sit around twiddling my thumbs HOPING to get a job. And for me, subbing just doesn't cut the mustard salary wise...actually I find the average salary for Ohio teachers to be pretty pathetic. Like I said in an Ohio forum....teacher's are supposed to mold the minds of tomorrow's leaders, but many teachers still have to buy supplies for their school on top of paying for their own personal necessities.

We know the cost of living goes up when one moves to a city...but in the end we think it will be worth it for a few years. We also really want to be on the coast and we really like the east coast better than the Gulf or the Pacific coast states. Obviously we could change our minds but I doubt that will happen now.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:31 PM

206 posts, read 633,579 times
Quote:
Well, my husband actually interviewed with a school in Annapolis in the early spring, but couldn't accept the job because I still had to finish up school. But before he decided not to pursue the job, we did a lot of researching about the city. We really liked what we saw and have been interested in it ever since. We have researched many different places....Seattle, Orlando, DC, Boston, Lexington, Portland (Maine)....but we still liked what we saw in Annapolis. The Ohio job market for teachers is not too hot right now and while it will improve in the future I cannot sit around twiddling my thumbs HOPING to get a job. And for me, subbing just doesn't cut the mustard salary wise...actually I find the average salary for Ohio teachers to be pretty pathetic. Like I said in an Ohio forum....teacher's are supposed to mold the minds of tomorrow's leaders, but many teachers still have to buy supplies for their school on top of paying for their own personal necessities.

We know the cost of living goes up when one moves to a city...but in the end we think it will be worth it for a few years. We also really want to be on the coast and we really like the east coast better than the Gulf or the Pacific coast states. Obviously we could change our minds but I doubt that will happen now.
Since you two are teachers, consider DC. The new chancellor is considering paying 100k+ salaries to teachers with 5 years experience.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 AM

Really??? By chance...do you know where I can find more info on that?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 AM

Well, I actually just found an article about what you were talking about. I didn't see anywhere in the article where it talked about 100k salaries...but she is wanting to raise teacher's salaries based on the student's performance on things such as high stakes tests...it sounds as if it is in the beginning stages and I would be hesitant to pick up and move with such uncertainty and all the shuffling of schools and staff they have had. Here is the link to that article below.

D.C. Schools Chancellor Proposes Teacher Reforms|ABC 7 News

Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 AM

So I have been hearing a lot about the high crime rates associated with the state of Maryland. I must say that it is somewhat disappointing to hear, although I understand much of this is related to Baltimore and areas outside DC.

How is Annapolis on crime? Obviously my husband and I will be doing things together, but if I need to take my dog on a walk at night, I want to feel safe...and I don't think my 8 lb pomeranian is going to strike fear in the hearts of anybody! Is Annapolis genearlly a safe place? Please advise on any areas that should REALLY be avoided!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,324 times
Quote:
So I have been hearing a lot about the high crime rates associated with the state of Maryland. I must say that it is somewhat disappointing to hear, although I understand much of this is related to Baltimore and areas outside DC.

How is Annapolis on crime? Obviously my husband and I will be doing things together, but if I need to take my dog on a walk at night, I want to feel safe...and I don't think my 8 lb pomeranian is going to strike fear in the hearts of anybody! Is Annapolis genearlly a safe place? Please advise on any areas that should REALLY be avoided!
There are places to avoid, but it's nothing like Baltimore City.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM

206 posts, read 633,579 times
Quote:
Well, I actually just found an article about what you were talking about. I didn't see anywhere in the article where it talked about 100k salaries...but she is wanting to raise teacher's salaries based on the student's performance on things such as high stakes tests...it sounds as if it is in the beginning stages and I would be hesitant to pick up and move with such uncertainty and all the shuffling of schools and staff they have had. Here is the link to that article below.

D.C. Schools Chancellor Proposes Teacher Reforms|ABC 7 News

It's true. For giving up Union protection, teachers can reap 100k+ salaries with 5 years experience.

"Under the "green" plan, the annual salary and bonuses for a teacher with five years of experience could jump from $46,500 to as much as $101,000 by 2010. Pay for a teacher with 10 years of service could go from $56,200 to as much as $122,500."

Teachers union unlikely to accept Rhee's plan (http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1442996 - broken link)

Teachers to March on Union Offices - D.C. Wire -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland