Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 AM

56 posts, read 260,433 times

Advertisements

Savage is kinda bad on the Howard Road side of it near route 1...the gorman side of it is VERY nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 PM

23 posts, read 110,278 times
LMAO, Familymatters...and soooo true!! Columbia is a beautiful place for the criminals. Is that horrible human experiment place called "Columbia Medical Plan" still in existence??

Old 12-20-2007, 12:31 PM

23 posts, read 110,278 times
Default The drug dealers will usually leave you alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Well I didn't wanna come out and say it but thats probably it and I've met people who work in those alleged "sketchy" areas and their some of the nicest folks I've ever met in my life. Thats why my jaw is on the ground because I've been in those parts and never had one problem.
I agree. I never had any problems with the young drug dealers who sold drugs to the young dude who lived two doors from me at 3AM in the morning when I lived in Owen Brown. The 20 or so Hispanic day laborers in front of the Royal Farms in Oakland Mills each morning never bothered me either. The dude across the street seemed pleasant enough when he parked and abandoned his car in front of my house.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 PM

15 posts, read 59,042 times
Places to avoid in Columbia:
Columbia Road and Little Patuxent Pkwy. From Little Patuxent to Ten Mills Road. The 7-11 was the site of the well-publicized robbery earlier this year.

As others have mentioned the area around the hospital is probably best avoided. The hospital itself isn't bad but if you go back along Cedar Lane (over by the Safeway) it gets a bit shady.

I would avoid the area around the Stevens Forest / Whiteacre intersection.

Places to avoid in Ellicott City: Route 40 can be sketchy in areas.

As others have mentioned most of the route-1 corridor can be sketchy.

People it's personal preference what others feel comfortable around. People are asking for help and you call them coward? How is that productive? Why should people be put out of their comfort zone if they don't want to be?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:45 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
A good way to judge desirability (be it safety or good schools) is by relative prices. in Howard Co... the prices of houses generally go higher as you go farther west. In Columbia, River Hill is where you 'll find the most "peace". In Ellicott City, its over towards Turf Valley and Centennial.

But all in all, these are all relative within the area. Some might say Savage/Laurel is bad.... but compare that to parts of Baltimore, its nothing.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:45 PM

82 posts, read 267,970 times
i have lived in columbia since 1994. The worst place would be harpers choice.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:53 AM

240 posts, read 1,065,682 times
I agree chtucker and the area right off of 175 near the 7-11 ( i forget what that road is called) Kings Contrivance isn't that great anymore either

Old 12-23-2007, 09:23 AM

382 posts, read 1,206,199 times
Quote:
I agree chtucker and the area right off of 175 near the 7-11 ( i forget what that road is called)......
I think that's Columbia Rd, though it used to be Ten Mills that went all the way to 175. I think the reputation is mostly because of the apartments off of Brook Way, across the road from the convenience store. I lived in the Running Brook condos 25 years ago, loved the area and never felt unsafe. Living near the lake was wonderful and the Running Brook community is a beautiful older neighborhood. But even then, I wouldn't walk through the apartments and was very careful when going into the 7/11.

Last edited by newhart; 12-23-2007 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-23-2007, 05:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
It is not what Columbia was 20 years ago that counts. What Columbia is today is only important if you are renting. The big question for any neighborhood is what will it be like in 10 years if you are buying. Then ask will anyone want to buy at the price I would like to sell at in ten years? If so will there be enough buyers at that price for me and my neighbors? Are Columbia prices sustainable with what you see coming? If you see good stuff then go for it. If you don't then you must evaluate yourself.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,127 times
Default moving to howard county

Hello ,
Thinking of moving to Columbia. I do have a section 8 voucher. I've been in a abusive relationship. I'm starting over again. I should be fine. Do you know of any nice houses. I dont like apartments. I love good schools. I have a11 yr.old who is a honor student. I'm finishing up nursing school next summer. tryin to get myself together. I like houses with basements if possible, or single house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland