Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:02 PM

262 posts, read 2,022,159 times

Advertisements

Easton is the county seat of Talbot County, MD, which was ranked one of the 100 wealthiest counties in the U.S. by household income. Easton is a small town on the Eastern Shore that is within a reasonable commute of Annapolis and Cambridge, and to a lesser extent D.C. and Baltimore (over 60 miles to both but a handful of people actually do it). Easton lies near the mouth of two rivers, the Miles and the Tred Avon, which feed into the Chesapeake Bay. Naturally, a lot of the town's appeal lies in it's proximity to the water, drawing some comparisons to New England towns and Washington DC's Georgetown area. The downtown area is full of shops, boutiques, and restaurants.

Easton is accessed primarily via Rt. 50, with Rt 331 providing access to the downtown area. Waterfront towns such as Oxford and St. Michaels lie to the west, Wye Mills is to the north, Trappe to the south, and Caroline County to the east. Easton was voted one of the best small towns in America (in a book by Norman Crampton) and one of the top small arts communities in America as well. For entertainment, the Talbot County Fair is held within the town each year, the Avalon Theater is in the downtown area (last time I went to Easton I believe there was an open forum political debate there?) and the Academy Art Museum hosts shows with nationally recognized artists.

One of my favorite Maryland restaurants, the Inn at Easton, is located downtown. You can stay overnight in the Inn, which I haven't done yet, but it is a quaint bed and breakfast with friendly people (very nice chef and hostess) and a great fireplace for cold days. They brought around fresh baked cookies on my last visit. As for the food, they make a great rack of lamb, fried oysters, veal sweetbreads, fazoletti, and the fig pudding is not to be missed. I wish I could make it out there at least once a month. Other popular places include the Tidewater Inn, a great outdoor casual dining spot, Legal Spirits for a bowl of cream of crab soup and a brew (happening bar), and Scossa and Portofino for upscale Italian. Chapel's Country Creamery is worth a stop if you are a cheese lover - they producer and package their own affordable gourmet cheeses. There's a much better cheese place in Western MD but this is the best one on the Eastern Shore.

Even though St. Michaels and Oxford generally are known as THE elite waterfront locations in Talbot County, Easton certainly has it's share. A $5M-$15M property is not uncommon - usually a big circa-1800 farmhouse with lots of trees and water front-footage. Warmer year-round than the Hamptons and better for boating, so it's understandable! Homes within the prestigious Easton Club are typically $1M plus, and Cooke's Hope is an architecturally diverse new subdivision in a similare price range. Waverly Island is a beautiful, semi-affordable waterfront location (older homes can be found with great views for less than $1M). Reasonably priced real estate can also be found scattered all over Easton. The variously-priced downtown houses (mostly old Victorians) are huge and squeezed really close together. Many have been converted into multi-unit dwellings, I haven't been inside one but there is clearly plenty of room to create apartments within them. You can get a nice typical 4 BR suburban home in Patriot Square brand new for under $400K, or hit up Easton Club East or Matthewstown Run for a more interesting 5 year old home for the same price. Older homes further inland (closer to rural Caroline County) that are still nice and have large lots can be snatched up for under $300K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 05:33 AM

5 posts, read 23,316 times
WOW...pkoons! We have been reading all of your postings and feel that we know all about the enire state of Maryland now. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge

Old 09-20-2006, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the kind words. Easton rocks!

You know, just recently, the Washington Post restaurant critic wrote a review of Scossa, one of the first Eastern Shore restaurants that was reviewed in a long time. Made me really eager to get back out there - I need an excuse to head out that way!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 20,916 times
Default Any info on Rolling Hills/Chesapeake Isle in North East?

Hi pkoons,
You seem to know so much about Maryland, I'd greatly appreciate any information about this area. It looked beautiful, beyond that I don't know anything else. It's the only area I saw. I'll be moving to Maryland from Long Island in the next few months. My daughter is in Bel Air and I'd like to be fairly close to her. Thanks for any help.
Alicia

Old 09-23-2006, 10:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,852 times
pkoons, I was in Easton today. Very nice town indeed. I was wondering if you would mind if I post some pics of the city?

Old 09-25-2006, 08:14 AM

That sounds great... Please do!

Old 09-27-2006, 05:35 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,852 times
Well, I'll try these pics again (much smaller this time):

Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,518 times
It seems your the guy to talk to regarding the Eastern Shore. How is Caroline county? Particularly Federalsburg?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 10,223 times
My daughter is considering a move to Md. She's a teacher and has a job prospect in Cambridge, but I'm reading so many negatives about that town I'm growing VERY concerned. Is living in Easton any safer? She's a young, bright, very attractive, white female and not very "street wise" at all. Any thoughts from anyone out there? I'm a supportive dad but I don't want to have to worry about her safety all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!v

Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 PM

5 posts, read 21,730 times

Cambridge cannot come close to Easton's quaint shops and great eateries. Cambridge has a very high crime rate. The focal points are The Marina downtown which is just lovely and Sailwinds.
Like Easton, it's a water town with some pretty nice homes depending on what side of town you're on.
The downtown shopping district has almost become obsolete since Walmart and other big stores have been built on US RT 50.
They do have the Hyatt Regency situated right on the Choptank River. It's a beautiful escape.
Cambridge South Dorchester High has pretty good academics and athletics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland