Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 25,908 times

Advertisements

I am getting married next summer and I hope to start looking for a house soon thereafter...

I have heard mixed things about the Taunton area. First, I hear Taunton is a bad city to live in (crime, rundown, etc) - then I hear its OK as long as you live in East Taunton near Lakeville. We will be looking in this area (Taunton, Raynham, Norton, etc) so any insight on this area and specifically Taunton (since I see such nicer newer construction for reasonable prices) would be appreciated!

We hope to get a new homer(less than 10 years old) anywhere from 400k-450k.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 09:40 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First_Time_Buyer View Post
I am getting married next summer and I hope to start looking for a house soon thereafter...

I have heard mixed things about the Taunton area. First, I hear Taunton is a bad city to live in (crime, rundown, etc) - then I hear its OK as long as you live in East Taunton near Lakeville. We will be looking in this area (Taunton, Raynham, Norton, etc) so any insight on this area and specifically Taunton (since I see such nicer newer construction for reasonable prices) would be appreciated!

We hope to get a new homer(less than 10 years old) anywhere from 400k-450k.

Thanks again!
I live in lakeville (on the east taunton side) and have never heard of any problems (crime wise). there is a section on route 79 that's rundown IMO (near the golf course) but heading towards route 140 there are some very nice homes and it's nice and quiet but you're only a few minutes from the mall, home depot, pier 1, txmaxx and numerous new restaurants that just opened in the past year. there are certain parts of taunton (esp downtown) that is unsafe and does have a fair amount of crime but this is typical with cities.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:37 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
First time homebuyer buying a $450k home? That raises some red flags. Be absolutely sure you can afford it before you sign. Do you have $50-100k saved up for a down payment? Assuming a $50k down payment and a 30 yr mortgage loan at 6.75%, the basic affordability guidelines say you should have an income of $131,700. You don't want to overextend yourself in case a financial crisis comes along, i.e. you lose your job. Also if you plan on having kids within a few years after marrying, you should take into consideration the school system. East Taunton would be more desirable in that respect.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 25,908 times
Thanks - Income we will be ok but the downpayment will be the X factor depending on how much we will have by the time we want to buy (I have no problem holding off another year to save the appropriate downpayment since I agree with you - I do NOT want to overstrech). What calculator are you using? I have seen so many giving me such different numbers. Thanks for the advice - its appreciated.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:58 AM

I used excel. I basically used the conventional debt ratios that were in use by mortgage companies before all these exotic loans became available. No more than 28% of your gross monthly income should be spent on your mortgage, property tax, homeowner's insurance, and PMI (if applicable). So I figured out what the mortgage payment would be on a $400k loan (assuming a $50k down payment) at today's average rate of 6.75% and used ballpark figures for the other expenses. Be careful with those "how much house can you afford" calculators. Many are based on faulty assumptions. I remember one of them told me I could afford a $400k house (conservative) or a $500k house (aggressive). When I figured out the monthly payments myself, I would've been spending over 50% of my income on housing payments if I chose the aggressive option!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 AM

I should add, the 28% rule is called your front-end ratio. There's also something called the back-end ratio which is your total debt-to-income ratio. The rule of thumb for that ratio is 36%. So if you don't have any student loans, car payments, or credit card debt then you can actually spend up to 36% of your income on housing payments, but that's really a judgment call you have to make on your own. I personally wouldn't spend that much because it would mean I will have a hard time paying off any future student or car loans. That means I'll have to pay for my masters degree and any future cars w/cash. No thanks!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 AM

I was just thinking, the good thing about having a good income ($150k+) is that you can spend a large percentage of your income on housing and still have as much disposable income as the average guy who's making $80k and rents. You just need some self-control to live below your means if that's the case, but your chances of falling into foreclosure are significantly less than the average person who overextends himself on his mortgage.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:22 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
Default Taunton Info

I've lived in Taunton for eight years. Prior to that we lived in Berkley for fourteen, and Dighton for twelve. Taunton is one of the most affordable towns in the area and there are areas of nice homes around the city. The downtown is essentially dead. Most commercial activity is clustered around the mall on route 140 and to the east of town on route 44. There are 124 level 2 and 3 sex offenders currently living in Taunton, many of whom live in the downtown area. Much of the drug and alcohol related crime and prostitution is concentrated in the downtown area as well, so it is not a place you'll want to be after dark. The library is underfunded; the carpets are dirty, the walls need painting and the whole facility needs cleaning. A community police station and video cameras have been set up in the building to help monitor the activities of the homeless and drug users, who used to use the bathrooms downstairs near the children's room to wash up and use drugs. Many of the city streets are in disrepair. There are many services available, including senior activities, low income support organizations, a community hospital and mental health outpatient care. The schools are adequate. Taunton has a diverse population with a strong Portuguese-American heritage. In many ways Taunton is a typical New England city, struggling to remain viable after the closure of the mills and other industries that fueled its growth. We've been happy here.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I've lived in Taunton for eight years. Prior to that we lived in Berkley for fourteen, and Dighton for twelve. Taunton is one of the most affordable towns in the area and there are areas of nice homes around the city. The downtown is essentially dead. Most commercial activity is clustered around the mall on route 140 and to the east of town on route 44. There are 124 level 2 and 3 sex offenders currently living in Taunton, many of whom live in the downtown area. Much of the drug and alcohol related crime and prostitution is concentrated in the downtown area as well, so it is not a place you'll want to be after dark. The library is underfunded; the carpets are dirty, the walls need painting and the whole facility needs cleaning. A community police station and video cameras have been set up in the building to help monitor the activities of the homeless and drug users, who used to use the bathrooms downstairs near the children's room to wash up and use drugs. Many of the city streets are in disrepair. There are many services available, including senior activities, low income support organizations, a community hospital and mental health outpatient care. The schools are adequate. Taunton has a diverse population with a strong Portuguese-American heritage. In many ways Taunton is a typical New England city, struggling to remain viable after the closure of the mills and other industries that fueled its growth. We've been happy here.
It's funny -- the bulk of your post describes the negatives of Taunton, but you end the post saying you've been happy there.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
It's funny -- the bulk of your post describes the negatives of Taunton, but you end the post saying you've been happy there.
Interesting oxymoron eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts