Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 AM

54 posts, read 227,953 times

Advertisements

no, my husband works there (we are the nuclear family), and alot of other highly quilified educated professionals. Most every one that works there lives on the cape or in plymouth. some of the most expensive properties are right on the same street as the plant. But if this is your concern maybe you should look in marion or mattapoisett, wareham dartmouth or westport on down to rhode island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:11 AM

414 posts, read 2,281,178 times
Shaw's and Stop & Shop are the major grocery stories in Mass, and the Cape.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:58 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
The nuclear plant doesn't worry me much. We have a large one out by my area. I wasn't sure if yours reduced the home prices any or if anybody cares. Out here it affects resale. Thanks, although I do like Westport! That whole side of MA is nice. My grandmother lived in Bourne (on Buttermilk bay). Right down the street from the rotary. I would be happy anywhere around there I think. Most of it's in my head anyway.lol I want to be happy there so I probably will. I'm sick of AZ, but a lot of people love it for the winters. Speaking of winters, are the Cape's a lot milder or am I in for a couple of freezing winters. I am sure I will be freezing in the summers as well.lol You'll know it's me, I'll be the only one on the beach in a parka in the summer.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
There's a nice general store in brewster, and donut shop I believe. Can't remember the name.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,699 times
Default Health Food Stores - A non-chlorinated swimming pool?

Are there any health food grocery stores on the cape? Organic produce?
If not, what are my closest options for shopping?

I am considering Sandwich as my destination. And by the way, does anyone know of a health club or the like which might have a non-chlorinated
swimming pool - or suggestions for finding out? Thanks everyone.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
I've lived on the Cape (lower/outer area, a town a few miles south of Provincetown) since 1990. Nice place to live. Best months are from May through November. Colder, damp winters with short days, thus we're buying a retirement house down in South Carolina for that time of the year. But we will keep our Cape home.

Shopping isn't a problem, even during the busy season. Just go when the tourists aren't there! You quickly figure out the best days. And during the summer season, during the evening hours, the towns don't roll up their sidewalks like they used to.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,689 times
Default Shopping on Cape Cod

Hi Twiggy

I'll be moving to the Cape soon too so I've been following this exchange with interest. I've been visiting the Cape for many years on business and have got to know some of the areas quite well. With regard to food shopping etc, Cape Cod isn't as rural as you'd think. K-Mart is fairly prevalent in all areas and if you live fairly close to Hyannis you won't miss out on anything you may be used to. Not only is the Cape Cod Mall a useful and attractive shopping area (Macy's, Sears and all the usual suspects), the surrounding area has everything you may need - Home Depot, Christmas Tree Shop, Crate & Barrell, Bed Bath & Beyond, Shaws, Trader Joe's.... the list goes on and on.

And if there's more you want, you only need to drive a short distance off-Cape to find it.

I'm narrowing my search for a home down to the area from Sandwich to Brewster. Maybe Harwich if I find my dream home there. I've been told Sandwich has the best schools (although they are apparently showing signs of decline), Mashpee may be a little rougher, Brewster and Harwich supposedly have good schools too. Although to put it in perspective, all Cape schools are supposed to be better than their equivalents off-Cape. As had been said, Sandwich taxes are very high, maybe 50%+ more than other towns.

I've spent a lot of time looking at 4 bed houses and it does appear you can get good ones from $350,000, great ones from about $450,000 (I don't really look beyond that.

Good luck!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
K-Mart is fairly prevalent in all areas.....
Not true. There is only one K-Mart and it's in Hyannis. Correct about the shopping. Hyannis pretty much has it all. There is only one Walmart and it's in Falmouth. Also the Cape is officially broken up in three sections: Upper, Mid, and Lower. The Lower Cape includes what some call the "outer Cape"

Hyannis is very close to being designated as a city. It's one of seven villages that make up the town of Barnstable, which is 63 square miles and has 50k plus people. That doesn't include the huge Brazilian population that is mostly illegal. I would put it at over 10k for them alone. the town probably has some of the lowest taxes. Falmouth is the second largest town at about 35k people. It, too, has a huge Brazilian population.

The towns along Rt 6a (northernmost route) are very idyllic and old. There you will find the early homes and quiet side streets. Also the trees are larger and the beaches more rocky because of the way the glaciers carved it out. The southern most route is Rt. 28. That is where you will find all the motels, fast food, gift shops, tourist traps, etc. The beaches are smoother, sand is finer, and the water warmer. Trees are mostly pin oaks and scrub pines. Somewhere in the middle are a good many of us (like me). Most homes around and near the Mid-Cape highway (Rt. 6) are mostly suburban and subdivided. Every town, with exception of some lower Cape towns, has a grocery store or three. Most towns have a few Dunkin Donut shops as well.

Be prepared to spend a bit more in goods than off-Cape. Gas is usually about 20-30 cents higher than just over the bridges. Food is more, clothes not so bad, services are more, and the higher costs permeate into all aspects of life here. Face it, we are a tourist destination. We rely on them to sustain us and therefore we get caught in the middle by paying more. Just a fact of life with us year rounders. Traffic in the Mid-Cape area in summer is absolutely brutal. Same with Orleans and Chatham. Hyannis is mostly grid-lock. Rt.28 is always a parking lot, even on the off-season, especially near the rotary. But, we locals have a way of finding our way around on back roads, even if it means going a few miles out of our way.

Any car will be fine, with front wheel drive being ideal. Most people want SUV's, but we rarely get the snow you see elsewhere in New England. The snow usually turns to rain as it hits the coast. We can get wacked from time to time, but more not than often.

Schools are pretty good anywhere, and there is lots to do in many towns, especially during the summer. Plumbing jobs are easy to get and pay pretty good money around here. Good luck.

Not trying to scare you. Just being realistic and honest. It isn't all roses.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:03 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
There's a nice general store in brewster, and donut shop I believe. Can't remember the name.
Oddly enough, it's called the Brewster General Store!!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
I really appreciate every comment! It has been along time since I have been home. I do know that there will be things I'm screaming about in 4 or 5 years but I know I need to come back. It's like the Cape puts a weird spell on you and you have to return for some reason. I hope the market picks up soon. I feel gridlock out here in Phoenix.
Thanks again, I will continue to bug you on here until I can do it in person. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts