Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:49 AM

3 posts, read 14,478 times

Advertisements

My son will be starting a new job in Canton. Any recommendations on nice places to live for a 27 yr. old? He would consider up to a 45 min. commute. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 08:20 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,859 times
Too many options to list. What kind of place is he looking for and what is his housing budget? What kind of area does he want to live in? Does he want to live right in Boston/Cambridge or is he looking for more of a suburban area?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM

He's 27 and single and right now budget is the most important factor. He needs to stay around $1200/month and realizes he may have to commute some to get something nice for that price.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
I'll work with the assumption that he'll prefer some city living, or at least as close to city living as possible. If that turns out to be incorrect, please let us know, so people at the forum here will have the right info to work with.

My first thought is Quincy. It's not really a true city-living place, but a mix of urban and suburban. Quincy is large enough, and has enough urban character in spots, to have some basic city amenities. The reason Quincy comes to mind first is that it's closer to Canton than many of the more urban neighborhoods that draw young professionals, and it may be somewhat less expensive on average than the more urban areas.

Inside Boston's city limits, for an urban feel, a young professional populace, and a fairly convenient commute to Canton, I think first of the Jamaica Plain section. One caution there is to check closely about the neighborhood, because J.P. has the reputation for having wide variation in the quality of its neighborhoods. I'm not familiar with that area to the degree that I could give a detailed rundown, but the word I've heard is that one area to avoid is the vicinity of Jackson Square, and many of the good neighborhoods in J.P. are more toward the west side. Beyond that, I can't help with pinning down the best spots in J.P. It's an area to keep in mind, though, because the good areas are a favorite among young adults, and J.P. makes for one of the shorter commutes to Canton of any area with an abundance of young professionals.

Of Boston's major areas for young professionals, the other section that lies relatively close to Canton is the South End. Rents in the South End are likely to be high, so there may be few options, but it's worth a look. To some degree the South End is another area with a patchwork of high-end spots and other streets or small neighborhoods that are not so nice, so it would be a good idea for your son to find out all the info possible about the local vicinity if he considers any property in the South End. Besides the high rents in the South End's nice areas, this section is more in the central city than J.P., so parking may be more of an issue in the South End than in J.P.

A number of areas could provide some city life to varying degrees, if that's what your son prefers, but would be pushing the limits of a 45-minute commute during rush hours. In this group, Brookline's Coolidge Corner and Brookline Village neighborhoods and the vicinity of Newton Centre in Newton are some upscale older suburban areas with some local commercial districts with local dining options, and easy transit access into Boston for some more serious nightlife. One point worth noting with Brookline is that they don't permit overnight parking on the street, so either the rental property would need on-site parking or the additional cost of a rented parking space would need to be taken into account in figuring housing costs.

Waltham is probably really borderline in terms of commuting time, at least during rush hours, but is worth some consideration. Though the town has some suburban neighborhoods, and other areas that are kind of basic family-style outer-urban residential, downtown Waltham has developed a restaurant scene in recent years, and the streets in the vicinity of downtown, especially streets close to Moody St., have become a draw for young adults.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:21 AM

Thanks for all the info. We're driving to the Boston area this morning to start looking at neighborhoods/apartments.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,592 times
My husband just got a job in Canton,Ma and we need to know a good area to look at homes that are affordable. Maybe 1700sq ft or more with a yard atleast 3 bedrooms. He does not want a huge travel we have even looked into places in Rhode Island

Old 08-31-2015, 05:24 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellarella23 View Post
My husband just got a job in Canton,Ma and we need to know a good area to look at homes that are affordable. Maybe 1700sq ft or more with a yard atleast 3 bedrooms. He does not want a huge travel we have even looked into places in Rhode Island
My friend works in Canton. She lives in Medfield and she seems to think the commute is reasonable. They have a nice house, and have been happy with the schools for their two children.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,592 times
any surrounding areas that have good schools would be helpful.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:14 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
what are all these companies and places that people are working at in canton? I always thought of canton ad very suburban with not much else than homes

Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
what are all these companies and places that people are working at in canton? I always thought of canton ad very suburban with not much else than homes
Canton has a lot of businesses on Rte. 138.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts