Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 AM

199 posts, read 948,220 times

Advertisements

Well, Braunwyn, I'm with you on Concord, income, housing for low $200s, etc. Sounds like we're in a similar situation. Perhaps you're a librarian or teacher as well. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:52 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wivenhoe View Post
Well, Braunwyn, I'm with you on Concord, income, housing for low $200s, etc. Sounds like we're in a similar situation. Perhaps you're a librarian or teacher as well. Lol.
Are you teacher? Where are you?

I work in biotech R&D. I'm not earning 100k (I wish), but we're managing it on one income for the most part. Frankly, when we have two incomes I'd be an idiot to upgrade given this recession. A few of my colleagues are living it up with the $400-600k homes, but it requires two incomes...two professional incomes and that's just crazy. The senior scientists at my job hover around 120k, and that's just not enough, imo, for some of these homes. Worse case scenario the dh and I could manage our home if we both had to wait tables and that's how we should keep it. If I win the lottery...or become a successful patent attorney or something (I figure everyone living in those grand homes in Cambridge are patent attorneys), Concord, here I come.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:56 PM

10 posts, read 71,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno76 View Post
If you're going by Midwest standards, you are in for some culture shock my friend. I have lived all over this country in the last 16 years, and if you're looking for something "coastal," you're gonna pay for it -BIG time. No middle class income is going to cut it.

The question here is, where are you working exactly, or better yet -is it work that's taking you there. I ask because if you're going to be working in the city, you'll pretty much be limited to the suburbs (at times more expensive than coastal) or, depending on WHERE in the city, either the north shore or south shore.

Personally, I would make the commute and start looking for another job OUTSIDE of the city. Boston is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live or work there. If you can, move out to Western MA. Most people can't so I would suggest living in NH, but property taxes are outrageous. Maine is also a very nice alternative, but everything close to MA is also close to the ocean so.......again, coastal.
My question asked for suggestions for middle class in the Boston area, my friend. I am fully aware that the cost of living is higher than the Midwest and I don't expect to get in the Boston area what I could get somewhere else, say NH or Maine. If you have any actual suggestions for that area, I'd be happy to read them.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I really like Concord and Lincoln. I was just at Walden pond Saturday, and the area is just beautiful. Quintessential New England through and through.
Thanks Braunwyn! I'll take a look at Concord and Lincoln.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Plymouth is seaside, affordable and depending on where in town you live, not terribly far from Boston. I don't know that I would commute from there on a day to day basis but to go into Boston for outings, no problem.
Thanks! I'll check it out!

Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wivenhoe View Post
Speaking as a local MA, it's a myth that middle class in Boston is at least $100k in household income or have inherited property. Maybe for the people in high tech, bio tech, and financial industries, but there are plenty of people making less who are middle class and content. Librarians and teachers come immediately to mind. Both occupations pay less than $100K. And it's not uncommon for fellow librarians and teachers to marry, have a family, and make less than $100K.

There are plenty of properties within MA that people can afford if they make less than $100K - but they're not in Cambridge, Lexington, Concord or more affluent areas. However, even within Lexington and Concord, there is housing for those making less than $100K - condos. And some people are quite to content to live in a condo with a family. Not everyone wants a single-family with a yard.

Brauwyn is correct to say that the economy and housing bubble has made buying a home more affordable for people in MA. There have been a record number of foreclosures, though not in Concord or Lexington. I'd say take a look at places farther away from Boston or Cambridge.
Good to read. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraeJ View Post
Thanks Braunwyn! I'll take a look at Concord and Lincoln.
Well, if you're looking at something a bit more reasonable, price wise, metro-west has a lot to offer (Sudbury, North Framingham, Weston, Natick, etc). Lots of reservation land in the west as well. I prefer the west to the south and north, but we do have the pike, so the tolls suck. I've also lived all over the US, NH & ME as well, and MA is pretty cool, imo.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:30 PM

199 posts, read 948,220 times
[quote=Braunwyn;16551363]Are you teacher? Where are you?

I work in biotech R&D. I'm not earning 100k (I wish), but we're managing it on one income for the most part. Frankly, when we have two incomes I'd be an idiot to upgrade given this recession.

Yes, we're librarians. I taught for a bit as well and my husband had trained as a teacher before getting his MLIS. My husband got a library position west of Boston but I'm still looking for a job. We've been renting temporary quarters until we sell our co-op in NYC and buy something here in Salem.

I'm from MA so I was familiar with the high cost of housing west of Boston as well as many areas. We've changed our circle of where to buy a number of times so I can say there is housing around under $300 if you look.

Here's a list of affordable towns (some are more family-friendly or mass-transit-friendly than others) where I found housing under $300K - bear in mind this included housing that may have needed updating or issues with location. NOTE - I haven't looked at housing on the South Shore.

West of Boston - Natick, Framingham, Acton, Sudbury, Wayland, Waltham, condos in Concord, condos in Lexington, condos in Belmont, condos in Winchester and if you're lucky a house, condos in Newton, condos in Needham

North of Boston - Melrose, Stoneham, Reading, Wakefield, and Saugus

North Shore - Salem, Beverly, Peabody, Danvers, Ipswich

Other towns that tend to have lower housing costs than west of Boston but accessible to Boston - Dedham, Milton, Norwood, Walpole, Canton, Foxboro, Mansfield, North Attleboro, Attleboro

I know the area around Douglas/Bellingham, Holliston, Uxbridge general area is cheaper too, but you're farther out. Saying that, I was speaking to a construction worker who's renovating an apartment in the complex that we're temporarily living in and he said that Douglas wasn't affected much by the housing bubble and that it's 45 mins to Rte 128/MA Pike in the am.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 9,955 times
I saw the fixer-uppers this weekend and we couldn't actually go inside they were in such bad shape. I agree that middle class (anywhere I've lived) is at least $100,000, and even above that qualifying for a decent home is going to be very challenging. Needle in a haystack is what comes to mind. This is just reality and a tough one for young families. Even those with good jobs, post graduate education, and great credit.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:48 PM

14 posts, read 30,108 times
[quote=wivenhoe;16566659]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Are you teacher? Where are you?

I work in biotech R&D. I'm not earning 100k (I wish), but we're managing it on one income for the most part. Frankly, when we have two incomes I'd be an idiot to upgrade given this recession.

Yes, we're librarians. I taught for a bit as well and my husband had trained as a teacher before getting his MLIS. My husband got a library position west of Boston but I'm still looking for a job. We've been renting temporary quarters until we sell our co-op in NYC and buy something here in Salem.

I'm from MA so I was familiar with the high cost of housing west of Boston as well as many areas. We've changed our circle of where to buy a number of times so I can say there is housing around under $300 if you look.

Here's a list of affordable towns (some are more family-friendly or mass-transit-friendly than others) where I found housing under $300K - bear in mind this included housing that may have needed updating or issues with location. NOTE - I haven't looked at housing on the South Shore.

West of Boston - Natick, Framingham, Acton, Sudbury, Wayland, Waltham, condos in Concord, condos in Lexington, condos in Belmont, condos in Winchester and if you're lucky a house, condos in Newton, condos in Needham

North of Boston - Melrose, Stoneham, Reading, Wakefield, and Saugus

North Shore - Salem, Beverly, Peabody, Danvers, Ipswich

Other towns that tend to have lower housing costs than west of Boston but accessible to Boston - Dedham, Milton, Norwood, Walpole, Canton, Foxboro, Mansfield, North Attleboro, Attleboro

I know the area around Douglas/Bellingham, Holliston, Uxbridge general area is cheaper too, but you're farther out. Saying that, I was speaking to a construction worker who's renovating an apartment in the complex that we're temporarily living in and he said that Douglas wasn't affected much by the housing bubble and that it's 45 mins to Rte 128/MA Pike in the am.
This post summed up lots of options. The South Shore also has plenty of options for under 500k. How close to the water and how close to the city do you want to be? Do you commuter trains and boats matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts