Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times

Advertisements

I am talking fairytale beautiful. Concord or Marblehead maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM

Comon Boston. Just a few sentences to type. Show that Massachusetts friendliness I hear all about.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
When I think "fairytale," I think Tudor architecture and Bavarian or English countryside villages. If that's what you're looking for, I don't think you'll find it in the Boston suburbs or even New England.

We still do have some beautiful downtowns. Marblehead is certainly very nice. It has a lot of colonial charm, but I wouldn't call the downtown area "fairytale beautiful." More like Maritime New England pretty.

The first one that came to mind was Rockport. Now it's on the outer edge of the suburbs, but it's strikingly beautiful. It has small, quaint shops lining a picturesque peninsula, large overhanging wooden signs, and perfectly aged architecture.

Manchester-by-the-Sea has a similar feel to Rockport, but on a much cozier, smaller scale.

After that, I have a hard time thinking of anything that would count as "fairytale." There are a bunch that resemble a small British village in a way (Winchester, Melrose, Hingham, etc). There are others that resemble small seaport villages (Newburyport, Gloucester, Plymouth, etc). Salem has a very unique charm too.

Some of the more urban neighborhood centers closer to Boston are excellent too in terms of giving a real sense of place and being full of charm. Harvard Square is an obvious one. Newton Center is another as are Davis Square and Coolidge Corner (especially with the Tudor building with the clock tower).

Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Greater Boston has a lot of charm but fairytale?? Beacon Hill is pretty in a stately historic way. Manchester-By-The-Sea is breathtaking with it's inlet views. There are numerous cities with unique charm whether it be a cutesy downtown, a harbor view, or a well laid out Main Street. Newburyport has always been my favorite.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:07 AM

88 posts, read 233,638 times
I will probably get crucified for this, but I am going to go with Lowell. I think if you weren't from the area and had no inclination of the stigma attatched you would be pretty impressed with downtown Lowell purely in a visual sense with the network of canals and such.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:47 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe1972 View Post
I will probably get crucified for this, but I am going to go with Lowell. I think if you weren't from the area and had no inclination of the stigma attatched you would be pretty impressed with downtown Lowell purely in a visual sense with the network of canals and such.
Consider yourself crucified.

Lowell. Seriously? Lowell??????

Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Downtown Lowell's pretty nice to look at.

I don't know about fairy tale, but I'd go with Salem, Marblehead, Newburyport, Concord, Sudbury, Hingham, Cohasset. I don't think fairy tale is exclusively Bavarian or old English cottages.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 AM

114 posts, read 323,459 times
I love downtown Lowell - I don't think of it as particularly picturesque of "fairytale" however (not really sure what that means).

Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Hahaha, you probably will. I do agree that Lowell has an awesome downtown area. There are few small cities with architecture that's as rich as Lowell's and few small cities that are as delightfully urban. But no, it does go against the grain of normal thinking as Lowell (with over 100,000 people) is not the prototypical New England Hamlet. I think Lowell has one of the best downtowns anywhere, not just New England. It's just not a quaint seaside village and "fairytale" is not the word I'd choose to describe it. Maybe "Dickens-esque" without all the negativity?

New Bedford also has an excellent downtown. It transports you back to the mid 1800s, but like Lowell It's a city and carries a stigma and I wouldn't call it "fairy tale".

New Bedford:

Old 04-16-2011, 01:23 AM

Thanks guys. All these places are definitely beautiful places. The concensus though points to Concord, Manchester, Rockport, Marblehead and Hingham. Now Greater Boston also includes RI and Southern NH so maybe you can add a few from there.

For example:
Bristol, RI
Newport, RI
Exeter, NH
Milford, NH
Dover, NH

To be honest the inspiration for this question comes from seeing seven towns in particular on the West coast.
Mill Valley, CA (The granddaddy imo) (nestled within a valley of redwoods, norman rockwell downtown a few miles from the golden gate bridge)
Laguna Beach, CA
Carmel, CA
Sausalito, CA
Kirkland, WA
Bainbridge Island and Gig Harbor outside of Seattle.

Honorable mentions out there include; Tahoe City, CA and Sonora, CA.

and Winnetka, IL outside Chicago, as well as New Hope, PA, Princeton, NJ, Westport, CT, Easthampton, NY and Scarsdale, NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston