Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:39 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm with massnative71 on this one. The Berkshires are nice. However, they are as notable as there largely due to proximity and ease of access for people from New York and Boston. There are few who would say the Berkshires match the mountains of Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine. Very few.

The Lower Cape, on the other hand, is fairly unique. Parts of the West Coast (and the area around Acadia, in Maine) offer more dramatic rugged scenery, but the Cape is pretty unique in its look and feel (especially when you consider the historic built environment). Of the other East Coast shores you mentioned, I'd argue the only one that would come anywhere close to rivaling the Lower Cape is the Outer Banks. I'd still say the Lower Cape wins on almost all fronts (I think the coast- especially the national seashore- is prettier on the Cape, and the towns in the area have a little more "there" there).
FWIW I agree 100%. The Berkshires are there for the NYers and Bostonians mostly. My personal choice would be the Green Mountains but any mountains in Maine, Vermont and NH are beautiful and more pristine.

The lower Cape is unbeatable anywhere as far as I'm concerned. There are other pretty beaches but there is no other place that has that particular feel to it. Add in the history and the lovely old Cape houses, and it just comes out far ahead of any place else. I'm glad they made it a national park and prevented it from being ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 PM

392 posts, read 919,958 times
OK I play!

Even just a couple of years ago I would have answered this question with"definitely in a brown stone on beacon hill", but now I say Wellesley, because I fell in love with it. I would have a nice house (not too huge, but not a tiny cape either), with big beautiful mature garden. I would live walking distance to train station and Linden square.

Second choice - a nice house in JP perhaps

In summer I would live in Rhode Island, probably Newport, and in winter I would go to New York, and I will also travel to other countries for 2-3 weeks a year.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,840,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
FWIW I agree 100%. The Berkshires are there for the NYers and Bostonians mostly. My personal choice would be the Green Mountains but any mountains in Maine, Vermont and NH are beautiful and more pristine.

The lower Cape is unbeatable anywhere as far as I'm concerned. There are other pretty beaches but there is no other place that has that particular feel to it. Add in the history and the lovely old Cape houses, and it just comes out far ahead of any place else. I'm glad they made it a national park and prevented it from being ruined.
Don't we have John F. Kennedy to thank for the National Seashore? It's a wonderful thing to have left so much of the lower Cape as public commons for everyone to enjoy.

I dissent on Western Mass (including the Berkshires). You can't find the tranquil pastoral beauty of the Pioneer Valley north of the state line. The Quabbin lands and waters are extraordinary. Stockbridge bowl is gorgeous. Places along the Deerfield River like Shelburne Falls have no better counterparts farther north. I'd say the same for Litchfield County too-- something about the Berkshire landscape that's its own thing and not improved upon farther north.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:09 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,262,319 times
Very well said on all points, missionhill. Yes; Kennedy is the guy to thank for the Nat'l Seashore Park. And, as a W. Mass. resident, I agree about my area as well. VT and NH (and ME) are great, too, but W. Mass. has its own specialness.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:10 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That's if you've never been to ME, NH or VT. Western MA, meh...I'm currently up in Maine, now this is "God's Country".

Yeah....I live in Western MA. God's Country is not how I would describe it. At all.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluegrassbaby View Post
Please finish this sentence.

I have lived in Massachusetts for years, and if I could live ANYWHERE in Mass, I would live in ____________ because ______________________________.

Thank you
Seems some poster have forgot what the "original" question was from the OP .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts