Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM

342 posts, read 570,869 times

Advertisements

So it sounds like Auburn might be a nice smaller town for you guys. i'd come up here for a visit to check out the area yourself before you decide where to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:38 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandNewcomer View Post
Thank you all so much for your help! I think, like others have stated, Shrewsbury seems to be the smarter choice. I was also wondering if you could tell me if there are other areas near Worcester with less residents that Shrewsbury and with excellent schools.

Thanks again!!
Sterling and Rutland are possibles too. Sterling is north on 190 a little bit (less than 10 miles from WPI). Rutland is beyond Holden, so a little harder commute. Both these towns go to the high school in Holden (Wachusett Regional in Holden), so any school comments hold true to all

Clinton is a different district though, not nearly as good, and much more built up area - but some nice looking old mills.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM

82 posts, read 194,273 times
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM

We have been researching all of the towns that you mentioned and we like that Sterling has new homes with reasonable prices. The only drawback that I see at this point is the size of the highschool. They currently have over 2000 students and from what I have read, Sterling is growing.

Last edited by NewEnglandNewcomer; 10-03-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM

278 posts, read 703,273 times
Quote:
We have been researching all of the towns that you mentioned and we like that Sterling has new homes with reasonable prices. The only drawback that I see at this point is the size of the highschool. They currently have over 2000 students and from what I have read, Sterling is growing.
Sterling is nice, but rural compared to Franklin or Shrewsbury. The high school looks large because Sterling is part of the Wachusett Regional school district, so it includes Sterling, Holden, Paxton, Princeton, and Rutland.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent s View Post
Sterling is nice, but rural compared to Franklin or Shrewsbury. The high school looks large because Sterling is part of the Wachusett Regional school district, so it includes Sterling, Holden, Paxton, Princeton, and Rutland.
So as these towns grows, the high school grows or will each town eventually have their own hs? My children are still young (7 & 9) so high school is a ways off, but I am wondering how many students the school will allow before out-growing it. I'm just curious because it already has over 2,000 students and this seems like a lot (to me anyway).

Do you happen to know if Sterling has restaurants and grocery stores?

(Thanks again for all of your help!).

Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,388 times
Franklin is a nice town, but in the middle of suburban sprawl nowhere, while Shrewsbury is minutes from Worcester!

Choice should be easy. Other folks have good town suggestions - i'd add to look at West Boylston too. Good schools and lots of access to restaurants, grocery stores, and very close to Worcester.

As for Sterling, it's a pure bedroom community. Almost no commercial amenities there - few restaurants and no grocery stores, just mini marts.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 PM

278 posts, read 703,273 times
Quote:
So as these towns grows, the high school grows or will each town eventually have their own hs? My children are still young (7 & 9) so high school is a ways off, but I am wondering how many students the school will allow before out-growing it. I'm just curious because it already has over 2,000 students and this seems like a lot (to me anyway).

Do you happen to know if Sterling has restaurants and grocery stores?

(Thanks again for all of your help!).
I doubt that. I'm pretty sure my dad went to Wachusett when he was a kid in Holden in the 50's.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
2,000 is a lot, but not gigantic. The HS my wife went to had about 3,500 students, but that was in Michigan, and one of two main HS a city the size of Worcester (there was a 3rd HS that was by choice that limited classes to 100 students, and a 4th HS for delinquents that had less than 100 students total)

Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
Franklin is a 30-45 minute commute to worcester. franklin is also building a brand new high school to be complete in 2015 and has some of the best schools in all of new england. shrewsbury has alot more crime than franklin since its right acroos lake quinsigamond from worcester. franklin has high-ish taxes and is really a great small town on the mbta commuter rail, and is actually one of the best places in the united states to raise a family(i'll try to find you the artcile which i dont have on hand right now). and as brent s said it depends are you renting or buying.
Saying Franklin has some of the best schools in all of New England is a huge stretch. It's about middle of the road/slightly above the pack depending on if you're looking at the lower grade schools (slightly above) or the high school (middle of the pack-almost lost accreditation a few years back). The HS was barely even handicap accessible, part of the reason they needed to build a new one.

Also, how long is Franklin going to hold onto that one article? I guess if it's sells the town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts