Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 PM

22 posts, read 77,645 times

Advertisements

I am currently studying at UMASS Boston, my brother will be going to Worcester Polytechnic Ins. My dad just got a job in Worcester as well. We are looking to buy a house (budget $550k to $650k) preferably new construction (4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, at least 2500-2800 sq ft). Some areas we were looking at are: Natick, Framingham, Grafton, Holliston and Waltham. What are your thoughts on these towns? As 3 of us are commuting (by car, MBTA is an option though) so we would like to move to a town that has easy access to the highway. I found a nice new construction development in Grafton and the houses are at the low end of our budget (really good value and nice place). Is the commute from Grafton to UMASS Boston really difficult (by car)? How long would it take on average for 8-9am classes (is traffic a pain)? Also what are my commuting options if I decide to take the commuter rail and how long does it take (time, frequency, etc)? My top 3 areas of interest are Natick (can't find new construction), Grafton, and Holliston (commute? don't know too much about the town). Schools aren't a concern but I assume good schools would draw more people to the town and encourage good resale. Thanks in advance and any insight would be appreciated.

Things to consider:
- Within our budget
- Safe
- Resale Value
- Commute (Access to major highways)
- Malls, stores, etc
- somewhat quiet but lively (if that makes sense lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times
Live in Worcester so two of the three are close to school/work.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Ashland might be a better option than some of the towns on your list, lots of new construction, huge commuter rail parking lot and works with your budget. If not for the new construction, I would also add Westborough and Southborough. Westborough would perfectly fit your criteria of quiet yet lively. Natick for new construction in your budget will be impossible.

Regarding the commute, there is going to be no perfect world for all three of you no matter where you land. The commute to UMass is going to involve driving and parking to the commuter lot closest to the chosen town, then a ride into South Station, then a switch to the red line going down to the JFK stop then walking. An Ashland to South Station commute would be roughly an hour on a good day, so I'm imagining something around 90 minutes from there and possibly two hours from Worcester. Natick would be the happy medium with about an hour commute to UMass and Worcester each.

If driving is an option to UMass, I would consider Medfield, Millis and Medway, more new construction in those towns. That is if the house itself is top priority. These are very sleepy towns.

I do think your best option for value and lifestyle might be Westborough.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 06-12-2013 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 AM

62 posts, read 135,712 times
Framingham is nice. The North side. Right on the mass pike, can get to 495 quickly, rt 20 and 135...and a mbta station.

Also, Hopkinton is very popular with similar access.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 AM

97 posts, read 204,239 times
As an Ashland resident who sometimes commutes into Cambridge, I agree with 495neighbor.

I live closer to the Framingham station than Ashland, and it's actually exactly an hour to get to South Station, even from Framingham (leave house at 7:30 to catch the 7:45 EXPRESS train, arrive at SS at around 8:30 -- it's scheduled for 8:28).

A few notes about the commuter rail...
  • For the express Boston-bound trains, if you get on at Natick or West Natick, your seating options are going to be few. The 7:45 train is just about full by the time it gets to either of these stops.
  • If you're leaving South Station to head back home, the 4:05pm and 5:00pm express trains are usually pretty full too, but once you get the schedule and track information down (e.g., the 4:05pm usually leaves on track 2), you'll find a good seat, no problem.
  • If you don't take the express, it can be a very long ride. If you don't get a seat with the table (only available on the double decker trains, and there are only two tables on each floor of each train), working on a laptop is a chore. So if you think, "I'll just use the ride for working," think again...
  • The "free" Wifi totally sucks -- lots of connection dropouts. It relies on AT&T cell phone coverage.
Also, something to think about... the real estate market east of Shrewsbury has always maintained property values. Don't get me wrong, the mid-2000s bubble did burst, but it wasn't too bad around here. I wouldn't be too worried about resale value around here.

Finally, Ashland is very quiet. There isn't really a nightlife scene to talk about, but there is Ashland State Park, which is really nice. There are a couple nice restaurants. There is an excellent farmer's market during the summer (which opens Saturday... Yes!). The police department has some corruption issues happening. Wow, I think I just described every little Massachusetts town.

Last edited by KenInMA; 06-12-2013 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Edit: 2 tables on each floor, not 1.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 AM

Thanks for your replies guys. Papaya21, We're still considering Framingham too as its in the middle, houses are in budget and a half decent commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Ashland might be a better option than some of the towns on your list, lots of new construction, huge commuter rail parking lot and works with your budget. If not for the new construction, I would also add Westborough and Southborough. Westborough would perfectly fit your criteria of quiet yet lively. Natick for new construction in your budget will be impossible.

Regarding the commute, there is going to be no perfect world for all three of you no matter where you land. The commute to UMass is going to involve driving and parking to the commuter lot closest to the chosen town, then a ride into South Station, then a switch to the red line going down to the JFK stop then walking. An Ashland to South Station commute would be roughly an hour on a good day, so I'm imagining something around 90 minutes from there and possibly two hours from Worcester. Natick would be the happy medium with about an hour commute to UMass and Worcester each.

If driving is an option to UMass, I would consider Medfield, Millis and Medway, more new construction in those towns. That is if the house itself is top priority. These are very sleepy towns.

I do think your best option for value and lifestyle might be Westborough.

Natick does seem very expensive. I don't know too much about Ashland, but will do more research on it. Ashland seems like a good option with good crime rates and its close to the 90. I have been to westborough many times and its a nice town. How is the commute (by car) to UMASS Boston from Westborough, Grafton and Ashland? I really like Grafton because there is a lot of new construction and we'd be closer to family. Does it seem unrealistic to drive from grafton to umass? If its going to take me 90 minutes to 2 hours to get to UMASS, I would prefer driving. Its not only the time taking the T but also it seems like a hassle for me to change 3 times (first drive to station, then take commuter rail to south station then subway then shuttle, etc).

Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Grafton seems the furthest and Ashland/Westborough are more the middle... With Framingham being the most direct. As stated each of these communities has their own political quirks but I would say Framingham has the most to offer and would have great resale options and I think for what you get ( location and costs for Town services) you would get the most for your money. Plus if you drive during slightly different commuting times to Umass instead of morning and evening rush... You would have far less commuting times. Although grizzly things happen no matter what. All I am familiar with Grafton is it would be a hike!

Also, there are plenty of charming unique and newly renovated homes in any area you've indicated wanting to live. I am of the opinion that new construction in metro west has been built in the least desirable property ie Wetlands! So get your FEMA maps out and do research. Ask a lot of questions about waste and drainage!

FYI - I like Framingham a lot. I can tell you all the best places to hike in and around Town as well as where to get good food and ice cream :-)

Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaya21 View Post
Grafton seems the furthest and Ashland/Westborough are more the middle... With Framingham being the most direct. As stated each of these communities has their own political quirks but I would say Framingham has the most to offer and would have great resale options and I think for what you get ( location and costs for Town services) you would get the most for your money. Plus if you drive during slightly different commuting times to Umass instead of morning and evening rush... You would have far less commuting times. Although grizzly things happen no matter what. All I am familiar with Grafton is it would be a hike!

Also, there are plenty of charming unique and newly renovated homes in any area you've indicated wanting to live. I am of the opinion that new construction in metro west has been built in the least desirable property ie Wetlands! So get your FEMA maps out and do research. Ask a lot of questions about waste and drainage!

FYI - I like Framingham a lot. I can tell you all the best places to hike in and around Town as well as where to get good food and ice cream :-)
Grafton does seem like a hike (and I already hate my current commute - south shore), it would make it difficult to commute in winter as well. I will be going to class monday-friday. I have 8am classes for 3 days and the other 2 days class starts at 4pm. According to what u guys are saying as well as what ive been researching, I think framingham and ashland are the best options. Papaya21, do you know of any new construction developments in the north framingham area? The thing which initially attracted me to grafton was that there was a new development by the toll brothers with rly affordable prices. Also, I see that Framingham has a 48 crime rating as opposed to the better rating in other areas (typically 70+: 100 being best) according to neighborhood scout? I know these are just numbers but should we be concerned? And how far are shopping malls, grocery stores, etc?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:27 PM

Default Golden Triangle

Framingham has just about everything for your retail needs. Home to the golden triangle which includes the Natick Mall (though technically in Natick by way of Framingham, sore subject for many), shoppers world, and a range of super high end to common retailers. This is across the board. Food, clothes, electronics, etc. lots of ethnic delights in downtown! Although fair warning South of rt 9 is rather unfortunate along 135. But seriously not as bad as areas near Boston or Worcester. Framingham, along the Sudbury border is great! Plus you've got easy access to exits 12 and 13 on the pike. I will see what's around once I have a normal computer. I am reduced to using an IPod ATM.

The town is building an entirely new library in the Nobscot area and I think that area will be very up and coming. Obviously local politics are amusing at best but whatever. If you aren't sending kids to the school system (which isn't even that bad) or aren't on a fixed income... You can manage in Framingham and have a lot of activities and nature and drivability. I believe the mbta is a long the south station route which is notoriously delayed.

I'll send some links along if I come across anything. Not too many single family homes being built...lots of deluxe apartments and 40b type deals. But many charming homes which have been delightfully renovated!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:00 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
Live in Worcester so two of the three are close to school/work.
I think this is a pretty good idea. You'd have 2 people available who could drop you off at the train station to avoid having to find parking & paying to park in the commuter lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts