Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM

13 posts, read 15,385 times

Advertisements

We are in a unique position of wanting to try some place new, but don't have to worry about a commute. We have 3 kids, so need to find a place big enough for that. But in the Boston area, where would you and your family live if you worked from home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,077,492 times
I'm really happy living in Needham. However, if I didn't have any kids and money was no object I'd probably live in the Back Bay. Even when commute is not an issue, I would still want to live close to Boston because it's the cultural hub of our state.

If you're looking for a place to live though, it's not realliy important where I or anyone else on this site wants to live. What's important is where you want to live. If you're asking because you're not familiar with the area, tell us what your ideal town is like and I'm sure people will chime in with what they feel are close matches. Also, home values vary quite a bit depending on area so don't forget to include your housing budget.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 PM

13 posts, read 15,385 times
We're looking to rent because this would be a pretty big change from what we're used to (cookie cutter neighborhoods, no character, etc.. in a suburban Arizona city) so we're not wanting to buy at first. In a perfect world, we'd live in a walkable neighborhood with stores/restaurants/etc., the school our kids go to ideally would be in walking distance. We have a dog, so a place near some dog parks. We're basically in a position to change things up. We can afford up to about $2600 a month. We have romanticized the idea of the east coast because of being able to explore areas we've never been to. But we do understand that it's greatly different than the areas we've already lived as well.

I'm a SAHM and my husband is a lead computer programmer for a small company and he works remotely.

We're liberal, but we don't care about the demographics around us, as long as the majority is respectful of a difference of lifestyle/choices/opinions/ethnicity etc. We're not religious but we understand the important of religion in other peoples lives, as long as others are respectful of our thoughts/choices.

We have 3 girls, ages 8, 6 and 3. A dog and two cats. I'm 34 and my husband is 39. We're not into sports, but we love being outdoors and being active and listening to music and going to see shows. We love to cook and visit new restaurants. So that's just about us in a nutshell.

The only 'winters' I've ever experienced are in Wyoming. Sort of harsh, dry, windy. We'd like the chance to experience a winter, even if we may not like it. We really really hate it here in Az. And we're ready to go.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 PM

387 posts, read 918,184 times
What a great question! These are the towns that I would love to live in (if not for the commute):

Manchester (North Shore)
Marblehead (North Shore)
Andover (northwest)
Plymouth (South Shore)

All have great schools and are quaint New England towns with stuff to do.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 AM

686 posts, read 1,141,264 times
Donewithpretty has a great list. I'd also add Newburyport, Rockport and Duxbury to that list. The coastal towns in Mass are great, very safe with lots to do but you do have to be careful of schools. Salem and Gloucester are great but the schools are not as good as the others.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,672,858 times
Sadly, $2,600 a month for a place large enough for a family of four isn't going to go very far in most of the fun or nice places in Massachusetts. Hope I didn't burst anyone's bubble, just a reality.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 AM

387 posts, read 918,184 times
There are 3-bedroom places (houses and apartments) in Andover and Marblehead in the OP's budget on Craigslist right now. $2600 isn't a bad budget for a 3-bed once you're past the inner ring of burbs.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,250,637 times
For urban flair Brookline or Cambridge; for more rural ambiance Lincoln, Harvard, or Sherborn; for coastal living Manchester By the Sea, Newburyport, or Duxbury.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,672,858 times
If money were no object, mine would be vibrant areas with tree lined streets, interesting architecture, parks and other green spaces, and proximity to fun, independent eating places and stores: Lexington, Brookline, Cambridge, Jamaica Plain (Pond Side) and Hingham.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM

6,477 posts, read 7,828,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
For urban flair Brookline or Cambridge; for more rural ambiance Lincoln, Harvard, or Sherborn; for coastal living Manchester By the Sea, Newburyport, or Duxbury.
First, 495neighbor is correct about needing to up that budget. Second, I like kinggeorge's list. I live in Brookline and can't say enough about it, but it'll cost ya. Newton and the other places west of Boston are OK too, just quieter and less exciting but still plenty to do. They are all very family oriented. Brookline is the most walkable and vibrant, and provides the best access into downtown (T ride away). Lots more to say about towns but I think the bottom live is that you will likely need to up the budget if you want a nice place with a good school system.

I would suggest to look on tha map, do some research, narrow down to some possibilites, then take a vacation and then drive/walk around. Maybe even meet with a realtor.

Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts