Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 1,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiegoose View Post
Thus far, we've been happy with the schools (our oldest started pre-k this year and is on an iep) and they're working on implementing tuition free full day kindergarten for the 2015-16 school year (tried to do it for next year but funding wasn't going to work out), which would be nice.
I'm curious--do you have to pay kindergarten tuition (or preschool tuition, for that matter) if your child is on an IEP? I thought federal law required that you didn't. I know it works that way here in upstate NY, where our son is attending a private integrated preschool, fully paid for by the local school district. We're looking at a move to the Framingham area (Holliston is one town we are considering), so I guess I should find out how things work out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 07:25 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsones View Post
I'm curious--do you have to pay kindergarten tuition (or preschool tuition, for that matter) if your child is on an IEP? I thought federal law required that you didn't. I know it works that way here in upstate NY, where our son is attending a private integrated preschool, fully paid for by the local school district. We're looking at a move to the Framingham area (Holliston is one town we are considering), so I guess I should find out how things work out there...
No one pays tuition in this state for kindergarten. However, many towns don't have full day kindergarten. So there are sometimes public and often private extended day programs which charge tuition. For most people, you have to pay tuition for pre-k as well. Many towns offer a very limited pre-school program and there is not space for everyone. Most people I know send their kids to private preschools.

If your child is on an IEP though, you could be able to get all these services for free but it will really depend upon how much help the school system decides your child needs.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:51 AM

Well, right. I know that public preschools in MA charge tuition; the question is how they deal with IEPs. My understanding is that federal law requires all public schools to provide a "Free, Appropriate Public Education" to any student with an IEP, which means (in NY, at least) that schools have to waive tuition. And if you elect to send your child to a private school, in consultation with your IEP team, your local school district has to pay for that, too. But it sounded like pixiegoose was saying that tuition might be an issue in kindergarten, even with an IEP. So I was just hoping for a clarification.

It's also not strictly the case that not everyone in MA pays tuition for kindergarten. Holliston, for example, has two kindergarten programs--a half-day program, and a full day program. The full-day program currently requires tuition. It's not an extended day program--it's actually a full day of school.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:38 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
You'll get at least a half day program for free because that's what the state law requires. Some towns offer a full day option with the extra half day being paid for by the parents. A few towns may give you the whole day for free, but that's something you'll need to look into before you purchase a home.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Well, right. I know that public preschools in MA charge tuition; the question is how they deal with IEPs. My understanding is that federal law requires all public schools to provide a "Free, Appropriate Public Education" to any student with an IEP, which means (in NY, at least) that schools have to waive tuition. And if you elect to send your child to a private school, in consultation with your IEP team, your local school district has to pay for that, too. But it sounded like pixiegoose was saying that tuition might be an issue in kindergarten, even with an IEP. So I was just hoping for a clarification.
I'm very well versed in IEPs as my older son is on an IEP. In the quote "Free, Appropriate Public Education" appropriate is the key word. For example, in the town where I live the pre-school technically goes from 9 AM to 11:30 AM (or maybe noon I can't remember). Then there is "lunch bunch" which runs from 11:30 AM (or noon whenever preschool ends) to 1 PM and then there is also an "extended day" which runs from 1 PM to 2:30 PM (or maybe 3 PM again I can't recall exactly). Depending upon what is deemed "appropriate" for your child your IEP may include pre-school and only preschool (9 AM to 11:30 AM) or it may include pre-school and lunch bunch, or it may include all three. In my town if you IEP includes only pre-school you can pay to have your child stay for lunch bunch but "extended day" is entirely working with therapists so you're only eligible to stay if it's on you IEP. So, what is "appropriate" is entirely a matter of negotiation between you and your school system.

I have no personal knowledge of how the Holliston school system handles their pre-K, but it's certainly worth a call to find out. If they run it the same way as Needham does then you will not know exactly what your child will get until the IEP meeting.

Quote:
It's also not strictly the case that not everyone in MA pays tuition for kindergarten. Holliston, for example, has two kindergarten programs--a half-day program, and a full day program. The full-day program currently requires tuition. It's not an extended day program--it's actually a full day of school.
You say potato. I say po-tah-to. I don't personally see a ton of difference between paying for an extended day program and paying for full day K. In my town, there is an extended day program from the public school. They just don't have the capacity to service everyone who wants it. Regardless, if in your IEP meeting the school system agrees that your child needs more help than can be provided during a half day kindergarten class then likely you'll get a full day at no cost. If they don't agree and you want full day K then you'll have to pay tuition like everyone else.

Have you gone through the IEP process in NY yet?

Old 10-05-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You'll get at least a half day program for free because that's what the state law requires. Some towns offer a full day option with the extra half day being paid for by the parents. A few towns may give you the whole day for free, but that's something you'll need to look into before you purchase a home.
Having an IEP in hand often makes things free that would otherwise have to be paid for. Unfortunately, a town is not going to start the IEP process with you until you live there. So, it's impossible to know exactly what you'll be offered by the town until you sit down with them and some towns are far more stingy than others.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 AM

48 posts, read 69,595 times
Quote:
We do have to pay tuition for pre-k as her iep only calls for twice weekly speech services which could be done on a drop-in basis. If she needed more intensive services, than it would have been tuition-free. The same would apply to full-day kindergarten (half day is free for everyone). So, honestly, you won't know what's covered until the school does their evals and you have your iep meeting.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:32 AM

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts