Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,745 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My girlfriend and I are considering a move from Buffalo, NY to North Adams, MA. We'll miss the great food, but we've had it with this football team that always finds novel ways to lose. I have lots of questions, but here are the top-scorers:

1. I work in the I.T. field. About how wide (or narrow) is the job market for that? I loathe corporate settings and would prefer small business environments. Medical environments are okay too.

2. My girlfriend is eyeing MCLA for an English major. We are both aspiring writers, but she's the one with the future. Any word about MCLA?

3. All the pictures we have seen of North Adams make it look like a picturesque little town you'd find in a Christmas-themed snow globe. Are we getting the truth?

4. I'm a country boy at heart, and I love hiking, camping and canoeing. How's the North Adams scene for that sort of thing?

5. Despite all the honking and yelling that you tend to hear in Buffalo, it is actually one of the nicest places on earth. It's very easy to make friends. People are cool, and I've never once seen a fight in a bar. As you probably know, it's not like this everywhere. How about North Adams?

If anyone could respond to that, it would be a great start, and I'd appreciate it!

-David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 08:17 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
North Adams was/is a town down on it's luck. From what I understand, it's making a comeback. MassMOCA especially has a made a positive impact on the town. I personally wouldnt call North Adams picturesque. Williamstown up the road however is very beautiful.
The area is great for outdoor enthusiats. You are close to Southern VT for skiing. Lots of hiking opps. Mount Greylock (MA's high mtn) is right in town.
Hopefully some folks who are more local to N. Adams can answer your questions in greater detail.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:05 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Perhaps you might want to look at the region and not just the town. I'm not familiar with N Adams, but the area offers many positive possibilities, and one I loved. I lived and worked 35 miles apart, living in Williamsburg, off Rte 9, and working in Springfield.

It made me feel as if "I had the benefit" of both worlds--rural and urban. I often drove around the larger area and get a taste of what each had to offer.

Of course it would be good to hear what someone/anyone has to say with more direct experience.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,930 times
Default In support of North Adams

I live in North Adams and own a successful and beautiful yoga studio here. The town has changed immensely in the past few years and a lot of out of town artists have moved here. It's definitely up and coming! The town is actually very pretty and there are some nice very reasonably priced houses on the market. I bought one a year ago and I love it. Lot's of great hiking all around.There are also more and more holistically minded people moving in. Many great music and art events at MassMoca and a few really good cafes and restaurants.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:24 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
Dont miss Mass MOCA and Williams College(has two great art museums and awesome deli and ice cream on main street); Mt Greylock; Hancock Shaker Village, a local dairy farm that serves the best pancakes, and local areas for camping and hiking.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,064 times
Default Life in North Adams

I work in the I.T. field. About how wide (or narrow) is the job market for that? I loathe corporate settings and would prefer small business environments. Medical environments are okay too.

Northern Berkshire County is quite poor, with few jobs. You might be better off looking around Pittsfield or Albany.

My girlfriend is eyeing MCLA for an English major. We are both aspiring writers, but she's the one with the future. Any word about MCLA?

I went to MCLA. The English department is great. It's a huge party school, and if you don't drink you won't find much campus life outside CC's Café.

All the pictures we have seen of North Adams make it look like a picturesque little town you'd find in a Christmas-themed snow globe. Are we getting the truth?

Yes, though there wasn't snow this year. The Fall foliage is good, too, though the "leafers" are infuriating. Berkshire has 1 major highway, and it's an hour south. Driving anywhere in the fall involves long lines of cars travelling 20 miles per hour, while the drivers look at the leaves.

I'm a country boy at heart, and I love hiking, camping and canoeing. How's the North Adams scene for that sort of thing?

There's lots of that, especially in the summer.

Despite all the honking and yelling that you tend to hear in Buffalo, it is actually one of the nicest places on earth. It's very easy to make friends. People are cool, and I've never once seen a fight in a bar. As you probably know, it's not like this everywhere. How about North Adams?

They don't like MCLA students, for the abovementioned reasons, but if you get to know people they warm up to you.

I saw a few concerts at Mass MoCA, but I only saw one exhbition, and I wasn't impressed. Modern art just isn't my thing.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:58 PM

14 posts, read 76,493 times
Default The Real North Adams

I realize that my response to your post is probably too late but the truth must be told. North Adams is great place to live. I was raised in North Adams, moved away to attend college (a prestigous college), and returned upon my graduating to start my own business. North Adams is undergoing a great transformation where many great people are moving to the area opening businesses, great restaurants, and finding employment in computer based fields. It is too bad that some of the replys to your post were by people who have no feel for the area or knowledge about the true City of North Adams. Crime is low (compared to areas like Pittsfield & Albany) and the surrounds are beautiful. Your best bet is to come to the City and spend a weekend to get a feel for the area. I would be happy to take you on a tour.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 6,731 times
Default Also interested in N. Adams, Adams, Hinsdale - that part of Berkshires

Hi - I'm a new member of this thread, and am thrilled that I might be able to get some help in relocation.

My wife and I are in our 60s - I can't work in Mass. with my social work license, since there's (sadly) no reciprocity between NY State and Mass. I have 31+ years of experience, however, as a private practice clinician in Westchester County, north of NYC, and in the City itself.

I have a new field of activity: yoga for older people, 55+, especially seniors who need to sit in Chairs, for the most part, to do their poses. I bring interest and enthusiasm, a sense of humor and support, and a belief that each person has a potential for growth that ends only in death.

I'm a Registered Yoga Teacher, have 200 hrs. of training, and also an additional certification in Senior Yoga.

This posting is for help in locating areas and venues of contact in this field, so I can inquire further. We don't plan to move right away, so this is an excellent time to make prelimiinary posts, like this, to a wide range of interested and interesting peole, mostly helpful Others, who can give me some leads, or at least a direction to pursue: local organizations, agencies, locations.

Manythanks for your help! Bill

Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 AM

11 posts, read 52,475 times
Honestly, I live in North Adams and I cannot wait to leave! If you're young and looking to meet people, this is not the place to do it. Like other people said, I would try more around Pittsfield. Another really nice place here is Cape Cod, it's beautiful and has all of the outdoorsy activities you're looking for while being not as rural and rundown as North Adams.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madevelopment View Post
I realize that my response to your post is probably too late but the truth must be told. North Adams is great place to live. I was raised in North Adams, moved away to attend college (a prestigous college), and returned upon my graduating to start my own business. North Adams is undergoing a great transformation where many great people are moving to the area opening businesses, great restaurants, and finding employment in computer based fields. It is too bad that some of the replys to your post were by people who have no feel for the area or knowledge about the true City of North Adams. Crime is low (compared to areas like Pittsfield & Albany) and the surrounds are beautiful. Your best bet is to come to the City and spend a weekend to get a feel for the area. I would be happy to take you on a tour.
I also grew up in North Adams and since leaving several years ago have not returned. Of course crime is lower then the bigger cities because the population is also smaller. NA almost doubles the crime index stats for a city its size (see crime chart half way down page)
http://www.city-data.com/city/North-...achusetts.html

The place is filled with misguided youths,drug addicts and welfare recipients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts