Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I think we'll spend some time in Sharon. I'm familiar with Needham and Newton. I've grown to really like Needham...Newton not so much. But we can't really afford a place in either area unless we sell our condo, which may be a deal breaker. The idea is to rent out the condo to cover the majority of the mortgage and in 15 yrs, it'll be all ours. We can do that and afford a regular home in Sharon, maybe on the smaller side. But we don't need a huge place and a Lexus.
Keep in mind that part of the reason why Sharon homes are lower in price is because their real estate taxes are so much higher. The rate in Sharon is almost $20/thousand right now where as the rate in Needham is around $10/thousand. If you roll the difference between the taxes into your mortgage payment instead you can possibly realize these benefits:
  1. Increased equity in your home which hopefully you'll recover when you sell (last I heard you pay RE taxes and don't get any of that back).
  2. Better mortgage interest tax deduction (while it lasts)
Personally, I'd rather have a bigger mortgage than a bigger tax bill.

Quote:
We do love it here but think we can also love and appreciate a place like Sharon. MikePru: That "cut off your feet" line was a good one.
Thanks!

It just makes me nuts that people who live in more urban environments think us suburbanites never walk anywhere ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Keep in mind that part of the reason why Sharon homes are lower in price is because their real estate taxes are so much higher. The rate in Sharon is almost $20/thousand right now where as the rate in Needham is around $10/thousand. If you roll the difference between the taxes into your mortgage payment instead you can possibly realize these benefits:
  1. Increased equity in your home which hopefully you'll recover when you sell (last I heard you pay RE taxes and don't get any of that back).
This is a very good point and I'm not doubting your stats, but I looked up the average tax bill for single family homes in each town on boston.com (Massachusetts Snapshot: Average single-family home tax bills, fiscal 2013 - Boston.com)

NEEDHAM $8,416
SHARON $8,583

If Sharon's tax rate is double Needham's, why are the average tax bills about the same? I can't imagine Sharon's average assessed value is half of Needham's.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

Thanks!

It just makes me nuts that people who live in more urban environments think us suburbanites never walk anywhere ever.
100% agree with you that investing in real estate is better than throwing $ towards taxes. When looking at real estate in Needham however, I found the same thing as Parsec...the taxes weren't that much lower.

If we do make the move, I absolutely plan to make good use of the abundant green space. I'd love to step out my door and be out on a nice road instead of having to ride for miles to get to one. And, my kid is a nature lover so he'd love it, but he's also extremely social and loves other kids and adults. I think he may miss not seeing people out and about. But he also loves cars and so woud enjoy being in a car more often too. But he also...I can go on contradicting forever.

I guess my problem is that I'm terribly good at appreciating both lifestyles and they have things that strongly appeal to me. I've done Brookline, I get it, I love it. I also used to live in a house in a town and had a large yard and loved that too so it won't be foreign to me. My wife loves Brookline too but is leaning towards the move. I am leaning slightly as well but wish we had more $ so we could afford a slightly bigger home while holding on to our condo. Whatev, I can drive myself buts with all these thoughts.

Bottom line is this - Although I see myself appreciating and enjoying a place like Sharon, y'all helped me to slow down a bit and get to know the area much more. I think this will be a multi month (maybe 6+ months) exploration process rather a couple month process.

Thanks all.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:20 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Brookline is the burbs! Sure it has a busy side but still the burbs. Sharon is a very nice town. It's cheaper, car insurance would be cheaper, home insurance would be cheaper, home prices can be pretty descent to really high depending on where exactly you buy.

To me racially diverse in the year 2014 = White's are barely the majority or out numbered, so no Sharon isn't. On the Canton border there are a lot of "other" whether it be Black, Indian, Spanish etc. A descent mix of everybody but nothing I'd call "Diverse" To me only cities meet the current day (somewhat improper) definition of "racially diverse"

I would say Sharon has a good sense of community, my uncle has lived there as long as I can remember, and in years of doing service work there I've always thought it's a really nice town.

Quote:
We are thinking of Sharon (good school system, we know people there, we’re Jewish, etc.). But again, Brookline has good schools and is Jewish,
Not really sure what your religion has to do with it, There is more than one Temple in Sharon, but aside from convenience. If your religion defines who you are as a person, than Brookline may be better place as that seems to be pretty common there. Maybe it's something I just don't understand, Me being a Catholic wouldn't be on the pro / con list when moving, But I don't self identify by my religion. I've never met a Jewish person that wasn't white, so you'd visually fit in if that's what your worried about? (Don't mention race in 2014 or your a racist! LOL).

Either way, Sharon is a very nice town and I'm sure you and your family would be very happy there, That includes your dog! I'm sure you could find some awesome open area's to run him or even small forest like areas with paths etc.

Moving to a new place is always fun (minus the actual moving itself) Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2014, 01:27 PM

417 posts, read 734,605 times
We also considered Needham and the same house had a similar tax bill, so while Sharon's tax bills seem insane, when compared to Needham's actual bills, they are not that far off, so the overall pmt in Needham ends up much higher.

I can also go on forever about the benefits of the city vs suburbs too We lasted it out with kids in the city for 4 years and debated it like crazy.

Good luck in your decision! While spending time here, check out Crescent Ridge for ice cream while looking at the cows. Go to ward's berry farm and pet and feed all the animals. check out moose hill. Go to the lake in the early morning before they check passes, and take a nice walk along the water or bring sand toys for your kid. Go to some yard sales and see how strangers (but neighbors) talk to each other. Go to Ames Street playground. Have lunch/dinner at Mandarin taste. Have some treats outside of the Sharon center cafe. (which just changed hands.) Deborah Sampson park. The kids part of the library in the center of town- they also do story time and other activities. Weekly Farmer's market on Saturdays at Crescent Ridge. (same as what you see in the city.)

Hopefully some other Sharon residents can jump in with things for you to check out. Good luck, this decision used to make my head almost blow up.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Brookline is the burbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post

To me racially diverse in the year 2014 = White's are barely the majority or out numbered, so no Sharon isn't. On the Canton border there are a lot of "other" whether it be Black, Indian, Spanish etc. A descent mix of everybody but nothing I'd call "Diverse" To me only cities meet the current day (somewhat improper) definition of "racially diverse"

I would say Sharon has a good sense of community, my uncle has lived there as long as I can remember, and in years of doing service work there I've always thought it's a really nice town.

Not really sure what your religion has to do with it, There is more than one Temple in Sharon, but aside from convenience. If your religion defines who you are as a person, than Brookline may be better place as that seems to be pretty common there. Maybe it's something I just don't understand, Me being a Catholic wouldn't be on the pro / con list when moving, But I don't self identify by my religion. I've never met a Jewish person that wasn't white, so you'd visually fit in if that's what your worried about? (Don't mention race in 2014 or your a racist! LOL).

Either way, Sharon is a very nice town and I'm sure you and your family would be very happy there, That includes your dog! I'm sure you could find some awesome open area's to run him or even small forest like areas with paths etc.

I think Brookline definitely has areas that have a burb feel and I would not call it the city either. I think of it as more of a 70% burbs/30% city mix.

Yeah, I don’t expect to find a melting pot of faces in Sharon or any other burb around here. But some have more than others and some are more open than others and some have a certain feel towards diversity. A more snobby area I am sure would welcome some racial diversity , but for reasons that are less genuine. I think a place like Sharon may have a different feel towards diversity. I don’t really care to get into it deeper but I’ve thought deeply about the subject. When I ask about diversity for Sharon, I am asking about it relative to similar (suburban/rural) areas. And again, it’s also not all about actual diversity, there is also an element of the residents feeling towards diversity and their motivations. Anywhoo, I’ll leave it there.

Good to know that you thought it was a nice town.

It’s not so much the religion, more of culture. I’m not at all religious but do enjoy the cultural aspect of Judaism (I mean the guilt, the sarcasm, the schlepping and other words like that...what’s not to love bubala?). It’s comfortable and fun for me. Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
We also considered Needham and the same house had a similar tax bill, so while Sharon's tax bills seem insane, when compared to Needham's actual bills, they are not that far off, so the overall pmt in Needham ends up much higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post

I can also go on forever about the benefits of the city vs suburbs too We lasted it out with kids in the city for 4 years and debated it like crazy.

Good luck in your decision! While spending time here, check out Crescent Ridge for ice cream while looking at the cows. Go to ward's berry farm and pet and feed all the animals. check out moose hill. Go to the lake in the early morning before they check passes, and take a nice walk along the water or bring sand toys for your kid. Go to some yard sales and see how strangers (but neighbors) talk to each other. Go to Ames Street playground. Have lunch/dinner at Mandarin taste. Have some treats outside of the Sharon center cafe. (which just changed hands.) Deborah Sampson park. The kids part of the library in the center of town- they also do story time and other activities. Weekly Farmer's market on Saturdays at Crescent Ridge. (same as what you see in the city.)

Hopefully some other Sharon residents can jump in with things for you to check out. Good luck, this decision used to make my head almost blow up.

Now this is what I’m talkin’ about! Fabulous stuff right here that will help me get to know the area. I will absolutely do these things. Big thank you.

We have a family who will be showing us the attractions in and around Sharon too so that’ll help as well.

Again, thank you.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Whatev, I can drive myself buts with all these thoughts.
Just caught this most awesome mistake! I'm totally buts about it!! Don't be a but. You sound so buts right now.

OK, I'm done.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Well, I am shocked totally shocked. G-fused you have been the strong advocate for the more urbane suburban life throughout all your posts I've read. Did being on C-D persuade you away from the city?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Well, I am shocked totally shocked. G-fused you have been the strong advocate for the more urbane suburban life throughout all your posts I've read. Did being on C-D persuade you away from the city?
I never meant to get that rep! I always appreciated, respected and enjoyed a country kind of life...I guess I'm an enigma?

It's like Mr. Denver says "a simple kind of life never did me no harm, raisin' me a family and workin' on a farm. Days are all filled with an easy country chaaaaaarm, thank God I'm a country boy!"

Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
This is a very good point and I'm not doubting your stats, but I looked up the average tax bill for single family homes in each town on boston.com (Massachusetts Snapshot: Average single-family home tax bills, fiscal 2013 - Boston.com)

NEEDHAM $8,416
SHARON $8,583

If Sharon's tax rate is double Needham's, why are the average tax bills about the same? I can't imagine Sharon's average assessed value is half of Needham's.
I would assume you have to be wrong about the average assessed values (after all tax burden is just rate x assessed value). I'm not sure if there's somewhere we could look that up though

I do have to say you numbers guys LOVE to look at averages. They're very nice compact ways of assessing the situation. Unfortunately, as the old saying goes . . . the devil is in the details. I would also add that I used to be a numbers person (former finance professional here) and moving away from my heavy reliance and dependence upon statistics was a transition I had to make when getting into this business.

If you look at the range of tax assessments in Sharon it tops out significantly lower than Needham. A quick search on the MLS's tax record system shows there's not even one single family home in Sharon assessed at $2M or higher. There are only 50 assessed in the 1 to 2 million dollar range. In Needham, there are over 1300 homes assessed over $1M.

What you really need to be looking at is:

A) what is it going to cost me to buy the house I want in Sharon vs Needham and . . .
B) what will the tax burden of that home be

Being that I work in both towns on a regular basis, I can say that typically a house you would buy in Sharon would not double in value if I transported it to Needham. Therefore, if two houses were equivalent (roughly) the one in Needham would likely cost more but have a lower tax bill than the one in Sharon which would cost less and have a higher tax bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts