Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Either we've lost Market Basket or if we get it back it won't be the same. Even with the slim possibility that it will return and be like it used to be, where is there to shop in the meantime?

In particular, I would like to know about alternatives in the southern NH and northeast MA areas. My store was Market Basket in Newburyport. There is a Shaw's near it but it's expensive and doesn't carry the products that I like. In Amesbury there's a Stop and Shop but they're expensive and I have gone to an S&S in years.

I'd be interested in hearing about Aldi's even though the closest one seems to be in Salem NH.
Hannafords even though it's in Maine.
There is Tendercrop Farm in Newbury--it's wonderful but expensive.
There is Applecrest Farm in Hampton Falls, NH--it's good but they don't have everything a grocery store has.
What about that store that only carries meat--in Portsmouth, NH I think.

So my question is about grocery stores and in particular, where are Newburyport area residents getting their groceries? What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Super-Walmart. The food side of their store rivals MB in price. Overall MB is slightly cheaper than your average Super-Walmart, but not by very much. Under 5% price difference with Super-Walmart compared to MB IMO....whereas Hannaford's, Shaws & Stop & Shop are about 30% plus higher than MB or Walmart.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 08-05-2014 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
bj's wholesale club, too family sized in portions for little ole me, but might work for someone with a freezer or families

Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I really can't do BJ's for just two people but that would work for a lot of people if they live near one.

I tried super Walmart yesterday and for one thing, it's ugly and for another thing, I waited in a very slow line just to get a few items. A few items because they didn't have the things I wanted. They're good for packaged goods but not for fresh vegetables or meat--I just don't think I could stomach buying many non packaged things at Walmart. I did buy bananas though and a frozen dinner. The prices are almost as cheap as Market Basket but it's the general atmosphere and the poor quality. Oh--and there was no one to ask where things were.

I can't find the cereal Wheetabix, for instance. (Practically the only one hubby will eat.) Yesterday Shaw's told me they have discontinued it. Can't find much of anything that's dairy free (dairy allergy). I think we need a Trader Joe's around here.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Yup.....Walmart, in general, have let a number of their stores run down, but it's the only place where you are going to be able to match MB's prices. I cannot walk into a Shaws or Stop & Shop any longer & pay over 30 or 40 % more per item....it feels like they are stealing money right out of my pocket

Old 08-06-2014, 04:04 AM

560 posts, read 751,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
IMO....whereas Hannaford's, Shaws & Stop & Shop are about 30% plus higher than MB or Walmart.
Incorrect. Hannaford is not as expensive as S&S (which is the worst). we have both hannaford and a M&B near us and just go to Hannaford as its clodser. the difference isnt worth it to us as its not major.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Thankfully there is no Walmart here, otherwise I might be tempted, but I doubt I'd stoop that low.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 AM

8,544 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Incorrect. Hannaford is not as expensive as S&S (which is the worst). we have both hannaford and a M&B near us and just go to Hannaford as its clodser. the difference isnt worth it to us as its not major.
Clearly you've never shopped at a Roche Bros or Whole Foods. Both are far more expensive than S&S.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:13 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Why are we never getting Market Basket back? Have I missed a story about the place being closed?

For the time being, I am shopping at Stop & Shop in Bedford since it is the closest store to me (I live in Billerica). I might try Hannaford's in Chelmsford to see how they compare.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:40 AM

417 posts, read 734,309 times
We do sales food at S&S and Shaw's. I don't see much of a difference between that and MB but I am sure many would beg to differ. I've recently started using Peapod and you can sort by unit price (price per lb/etc) and it helps with getting the best prices. 1st purchase is $20 off and you get free delivery your 1st 3 mos which maybe will get you over until MB is back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts