Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times

Advertisements

Reverse commuting on the Commuter Rail is not fun - I would avoid that if I were you. The trains are less frequent than those that head from the outer 'burbs into Boston proper. For example, to get to West Concord for a 9 AM start, you would have to take the 7:42 AM train from Porter and get to W Concord at 8:15 AM (and that isn't even a normal stop - you have to alert the conductor you want to stop there or the train just keeps going). Miss that train? You will have to wait for 8:50 AM train. Similar for coming back into Cambridge.

Plus, Cambridge is EXPENSIVE, even with roommates. And if you have a car to avoid the train commute, you will (a) still have quite a bit of traffic (Rte 2 and Alewife Brook Parkway back up everyday in the evenings) and (b) on-street parking can be tough, especially in the winter.

I would also suggest someplace like Marlborough for living and an easy commute to Concord. Then, on the weekends or whatever, head into Davis/Central/Porter Squares for some fun if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 12:06 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
to get to West Concord for a 9 AM start, you would have to take the 7:42 AM train from Porter and get to W Concord at 8:15 AM (and that isn't even a normal stop - you have to alert the conductor you want to stop there or the train just keeps going).
Just a friendly note, the train arrives at 0821 (not much of a time difference, I know) and W. Concord is not a flag stop. When you purchase a ticket you always let them know what station they are letting you off at anyways, and if you have a pass just remember to tell them if it is a flag stop.

Also, FWIW I left an apartment in August 5 min away from Porter by bike and was paying $617 a month with roommates. If OP searches around a bit it shouldn't be that difficult to find something $650-800/mo.

OP, if you can avoid having a car for a bit you will save tons of money. This isn't the personal finance forum but having a bit of a cushion starting out is important. So is enjoying where you live, and at 22 I would not want to be in Marlborough when I could be somewhere a little more exciting.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:00 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Remember, at 22, people are often going out far more often than weekends only. When I lived in town (Cambridge/Brookline) everyone I knew also lived in town and we met for dinner, arts and culture, music, lots of things, all the time. Not everyone works a "normal" business schedule, either. I really think OP would be happiest living in the action, and it isn't in Marlborough.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,897 times
Thanks all for the input! And by average rent, I meant more average for the area, not average to me. And coming from California, anything under $1000 sounds pretty reasonable.

And I'm feeling more inclined to agree with wolfgang239 and brightdoglover about being in an area a little more exciting. I think a main concern would be being around people my own age and not feeling stuck in my neighborhood.

And @wolfgang239 re: having a car - I'm definitely trying to avoid it for that very reason. So as long as I have good access to public transportation, I'll be happy.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:54 AM

133 posts, read 261,623 times
Maynard probably has more diversity and good ethnic restaurants. Not clear how many singles live there. Real estate costs are a lot lower.

Waltham will have singles, restaurants, but will likely be more expensive due to proximity to Cambridge. But, I would think you would need a car to commute.

Davis Square and Porter Square would be a lot more interesting, but more expensive still.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:59 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Remember, at 22, people are often going out far more often than weekends only. When I lived in town (Cambridge/Brookline) everyone I knew also lived in town and we met for dinner, arts and culture, music, lots of things, all the time. Not everyone works a "normal" business schedule, either. I really think OP would be happiest living in the action, and it isn't in Marlborough.
Yep, and that is part of the reason we have a personal debt crisis and why my generation is finding it harder and harder to save money for the future (because they have to be 'in the action' and socialize by going out to eat and whatever). I think some forward thinking is important (and single, young professionals do live in MetroWest, so it's not like you give that up), but that is just me. Maybe I am just too pragmatic.

If you think that living in Cambridge and the reverse commute is 'worth it', then OK. Find a place near Porter Square for easy access to the commuter rail.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 879 times
Default Suggest you stick with something near porter sq.

Maynard is a 10 minute bike ride from West Concord, and probably the most interesting town within a short distance, but not exactly a young culture. Acton, Concord, Sudbury and other nearby towns are very family oriented, and there's practically no night life. At 22, you'll be much happier in Somerville or Cambridge.

The somerville -> west concord line of the commuter rail is currently undergoing construction and running on a reduced schedule as mentioned, so you'll be looking at an hour commute at weird times from davis, porter or central sq every day. See [url=http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=FITCHBRG]MBTA Commuter Rail > Fitchburg / South Acton Lines Schedules and Maps[/url] for their full schedule.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:01 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
The fitchburg line improvements only change weekend service FYI

Old 09-16-2014, 04:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Yep, and that is part of the reason we have a personal debt crisis and why my generation is finding it harder and harder to save money for the future (because they have to be 'in the action' and socialize by going out to eat and whatever). I think some forward thinking is important (and single, young professionals do live in MetroWest, so it's not like you give that up), but that is just me. Maybe I am just too pragmatic.

If you think that living in Cambridge and the reverse commute is 'worth it', then OK. Find a place near Porter Square for easy access to the commuter rail.
I agree. While it is more fun to live in town, many young single people do live in the burbs. If one was a fly on the wall at the West Natick stop for instance, they would see nearly all young professional people who reside in the apartments across the street getting on those trains. And it's been that way since the 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts