Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 40,851 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am an 18 year old driver in MA, still in high school, still on my parents auto insurance, who up until yesterday has had a clean driving record.
Yesterday I was running late to meet up with some friends and I made a bad judgement call to speed. I was driving and a police car driving the other way came around a bend and went by me, turned on his lights, and did a three point turn to pull me over.
I pulled over the second I saw the lights and waited for him.
He told me I was doing 56 in a 30 (although I'm pretty confident I wasn't going over 50 and my girlfriend who was in the car with me said I was going ~47mph).
The ticket had "Estimated" and "Radar" ticked off.
My ticket is for $265, but that's not really my concern. My concern is the insurance premium bump on my insurance.
I keep reading in diffrent places that your first minor traffic offence doesn't incur surcharges in MA, is that true? If so, does that mean the insurance wouldn't be affected? I have Hanover Insurance.

What are my options here?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarson View Post
Hello,
I am an 18 year old driver in MA, still in high school, still on my parents auto insurance, who up until yesterday has had a clean driving record.
Yesterday I was running late to meet up with some friends and I made a bad judgement call to speed. I was driving and a police car driving the other way came around a bend and went by me, turned on his lights, and did a three point turn to pull me over.
I pulled over the second I saw the lights and waited for him.
He told me I was doing 56 in a 30 (although I'm pretty confident I wasn't going over 50 and my girlfriend who was in the car with me said I was going ~47mph).
The ticket had "Estimated" and "Radar" ticked off.
My ticket is for $265, but that's not really my concern. My concern is the insurance premium bump on my insurance.
I keep reading in diffrent places that your first minor traffic offence doesn't incur surcharges in MA, is that true? If so, does that mean the insurance wouldn't be affected? I have Hanover Insurance.

What are my options here?

Thanks in advance.
Whether you incur surcharges depends on your individual insurer. It would not have at all if you had been issued a warning not a ticket.

Over 20 miles over the speed limit is pretty dangerous on a 30mph road. You will have difficulty getting out of the ticket should you try to appeal since you yourself admit you were going 50.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:00 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,814,499 times
Things may have changed, but if you contested a ticket in the past and the officer didn't show the ticket was dismissed. I got out of a couple this way when I was around your age. Things may have changed...this was late 80s-early 90s. Best of luck!

Old 10-19-2014, 05:34 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,810,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Things may have changed, but if you contested a ticket in the past and the officer didn't show the ticket was dismissed. I got out of a couple this way when I was around your age. Things may have changed...this was late 80s-early 90s. Best of luck!
This is still correct. A few things have changed recently though.

When you decide to contest the ticket (you pay a fee for this) you first meet with a magistrate and an assigned representative of the town PD that pulled you over. Rarely if ever does a ticket get dismissed at this stage unless it was physically impossible or the wrong statute etc. I was written up for a statute that only applied to two way roads and was pulled over on a one way road, and they still made me go to court which is the next stage (you also pay a fee for this)....

You go to court with other people who have appealed and all of the police officers who pulled them over. You get a chance to argue your case in front of a judge but so does the officer. If the officer fails to show, you get a free pass (minus the two admin fees you paid).

Back to the OP, you may or may not incur an insurance surcharge. As suggested, you need to find the details of your policy. Appealing at best will have you found not responsible, and at worst on the hook for the admin fees, the fine on the ticket and an insurance surcharge. You could also show up to the first appeal and get the fine reduced, discover some administrative error and get it dismissed, etc etc. It all depends on how much time, effort and risk you want to put in.

I would pay up and just be a bit more careful. I lost my license several times before I figured it out

Old 10-19-2014, 05:42 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info so far everyone.
I will probably try to appeal it.
My other question is, does the surcharge only effect the premiums on the car I'm a primary on? Or does it affect the cars I'm a secondary on as well? I'm a primary driver on my car and then a secondary driver on the two cars my parents have.
I referred to this sheet form massrmv.com to find out how much more per year I'd have to pay if I'm found at fault: Premium Adjustment Chart for Inexperienced Operators - Merit Rating Board - MassDOT RMV

Old 10-19-2014, 05:49 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarson View Post
Thanks for the info so far everyone.
I will probably try to appeal it.
My other question is, does the surcharge only effect the premiums on the car I'm a primary on? Or does it affect the cars I'm a secondary on as well? I'm a primary driver on my car and then a secondary driver on the two cars my parents have.
I referred to this sheet form massrmv.com to find out how much more per year I'd have to pay if I'm found at fault: Premium Adjustment Chart for Inexperienced Operators - Merit Rating Board - MassDOT RMV
It affects the whole policy.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It affects the whole policy.
So it will increase parts 1, 2, 4, and 7 on all three of my families cars by 15%?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:21 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,683,188 times
No, it's on one car and I'm fairly certain you will get one.

You are lucky that you are 18 because if you were younger you could lose your license for 6 months.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No, it's on one car and I'm fairly certain you will get one.

You are lucky that you are 18 because if you were younger you could lose your license for 6 months.
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "I'm fairly certain you will get one."?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
The premium being raised is up to your individual insurance company.
If you appeal the ticket that can go either way depending on what happens in court and what the Magistrate decides to do that day.

I hope your friends are worth all the money this is costing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: