Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 04:21 PM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Very few logistics involved. Reprogramming some cash registers and label manufacturers adding some text.
There's a lot more to it than just that.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:24 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
So the only support you have is pure conjecture? And you wonder why people might have been dubious of the benefit when the costs are real and the incentives are inefficient?

Even with cans and bottles with redemption value most people use curbside recycling. And at least in all the places I've lived with curbside recycling, people come late at night and dig through the bins to get the cans and bottles with a redemption value. This is at best wasted effort-those bottles are getting recycled either way. Sure, some of the bottles will disappear from the streets. Living near a major highway, though, in my observation roadside trash isn't a giant collection of water and juice bottles and nothing else--it's mostly discarded food wrappers and paper.

And there's enough smug "people who disagree with me are stupid" in this thread for at least the next two years. If feeling superior is the goal then by all means keep writing ballot initiatives that have flawed incentives and are overwhelmingly be voted down. If the interest is actually improving the problem there will have to be a more creative solution that more people can agree with.
my "conjecture" was about the states I mentioned, not MA. Unfortunately, there is no way to inventory empty bottles moving from state to state.

But the answers here are just as I expected. Not wanting to pay an extra *gasp* five whole cents when people can rationalization that THEY have curbside recycling and THEY always do the right thing.

Score one for big business advertising.

Again.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:25 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There's a lot more to it than just that.
What else? There is already a system in place for the current recyclable bottles.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
What else? There is already a system in place for the current recyclable bottles.
Except they will need to what, double the capacity? Not as easy as it sounds.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:38 PM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times
You're grasping for problems. It would've been very easily implemented.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
You're grasping for problems. It would've been very easily implemented.
Easy for you to say.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:07 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
my "conjecture" was about the states I mentioned, not MA. Unfortunately, there is no way to inventory empty bottles moving from state to state.

But the answers here are just as I expected. Not wanting to pay an extra *gasp* five whole cents when people can rationalization that THEY have curbside recycling and THEY always do the right thing.

Score one for big business advertising.

Again.
So if you knew the answer why ask the question? Saying something is too small to be meaningful is a great way to sell useless extended warranties, but it's not actually a valid argument.

People didn't want to pay five cents that they probably wouldn't get back, especially if they don't think there will be a benefit to them or it wasn't clear that there would be a corresponding benefit to society. You thought it would benefit you, but it's not clear you even live in this state. If it's really a concern of yours you can think of a better plan, try harder to justify your position (you've mostly just stated that people who disagree are wrong), or become a dictator.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I didn't want to pay a tax on a bottle that goes into my curbside recycling bin.

^^^ EXACTLY! Why kind of demented person is OK with the State forcing their hand to do something? I'm all for recycling but I'm not going to be FORCED to do it if I don't want to. Seeing as how almost EVERYTHING is recyclable at this point, I wonder if those same people would be OK with EVERYTHING having an extra change on it for when that day comes? Something tells me they wouldn't!

Other states don't have bottle deposits and you know what they have JUST AS MUCH recycling going on (if not more) because when they turn in their stuff, they MAKE money, there not getting BACK when they already lost! You want more recycling? The ELIMINATE the bottle deposit! Why is common sense so uncommon in MA?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
^^^ EXACTLY! Why kind of demented person is OK with the State forcing their hand to do something? I'm all for recycling but I'm not going to be FORCED to do it if I don't want to. Seeing as how almost EVERYTHING is recyclable at this point, I wonder if those same people would be OK with EVERYTHING having an extra change on it for when that day comes? Something tells me they wouldn't!

Other states don't have bottle deposits and you know what they have JUST AS MUCH recycling going on (if not more) because when they turn in their stuff, they MAKE money, there not getting BACK when they already lost! You want more recycling? The ELIMINATE the bottle deposit! Why is common sense so uncommon in MA?

And yes, at each exit I took the past two days, at the red lights at the end, I saw the medians full of sports drinks and water plastic bottles strewn across the grass and bushes. No beer bottles. No soda cans. Both equally recyclable, but one with a deposit. Those bottles would NOT be on those grass medians if they had a deposit.

Eliminate the bottle deposit to increase recycling? That makes no sense, since all the bottles turned in for the deposit are being recycled. As are the ones with deposits that are being tossed out.

I wish people would stop using the term "common sense" when trying to promote ideas that fly counter to sane thinking and what is easily observable.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:39 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And yes, at each exit I took the past two days, at the red lights at the end, I saw the medians full of sports drinks and water plastic bottles strewn across the grass and bushes. No beer bottles. No soda cans. Both equally recyclable, but one with a deposit. Those bottles would NOT be on those grass medians if they had a deposit.
I drove through South Acton this morning on the way to work and I saw an 18 pack stuffed with empty bud light bottles on the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts