Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times

Advertisements

Massachusetts residents leaving for new borders (broken link)

So what is the future of Massachusetts? especially in the next 5-10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,600 times
I think the trend will continue. I don't see Gov. Patrick doing anything significant to make the state prosper.

I left MA after graduation back in the 90's- it was just too expensive for a young person with a BA degree. Within 2 years I had my own rental house, car, and decent job in upstate NY. I don't think that would have been possible in MA- not even close.

I also have a very good friend that went to college in Colorado. After graduation he rented an entire home for $800, had a car,a dog, and was building his career. I don't see options like this for most young adults in MA.

I feel the article is pretty accurate in the observation that the man had moving south. This allowed his wife to become a stay at home mother. If you consider the median home selling price even in this depreciated market; most parents both still have to work.

With all that said, I have settled here purely for an opportunity that came up. But I don't think MA would be my first choice normally. MA seems to cater to some very specific industries and careers- it's hard to consider MA as much more than a limited little state.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:57 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Default slow loss

I actually glad Massachusetts is losing it's permanent population. I know that sounds strange. But as I look at it, I hoping property values go way down so people like me, People who love the state and it culture, can afford to live/return to the state.
I know a lot of people want to leave because of expense. Which makes perfect sense to me. And I would tell those people to go for it. But for me and some others I know I really doesn't matter what the cost is. We just want to be home.
Just to put a little perspective on this issue as it relates to other states. I'm currently living in Northern New Jersey. And let me tell you this state is a bit more expensive that MA. And the state and local governments are far more corrupt than MA. I met plenty of MA. ex-patriots that just want to get out of here and go home.
Also I you guys ever get a chance to read the Michigan and Ohio forums. you can read what a real hemorrhaging and huge job loses are like from those states. I say MA is on the decline. But it going to be a slow decline.
One last thing. Isn't Atlanta having major water problems? That the one go thing about the Northeast upper Midwest there plenty of fresh water for utilization.
Really in the end MA will be OK. We will go through some tough times but we will make it. And probably in 20 years we'll be in the incline again and be gaining population.

My Heart, My Soul, My Country, My Home.............Massachusettes..

Old 01-06-2008, 01:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Having just made the move to Atlanta in Aug., I can relate and agree with the analysis. We could not have hoped to buy the same kind of large new house in MA that we bought in GA.

For us, it was a combination of overall cost of living, getting sick of the left leaning politics in MA, the crappy weather, and just wanting a change. Yes, Atlanta is having water issues due to a drought, but that's what happens when you get 20 inches less rainfall in a year, while the feds allow a week's worth of water per day to flow needlessly to the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:06 PM

35 posts, read 150,148 times
I love Boston and we are thinking of moving back but it could be too much of a drain financially. We are on the fence about it now. People will continue to leave any state that becomes too expensive to live in. I think these forums are great for comparing quality of life issues in other states and it is great when people who live in the state give their honest opinions. Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 06:49 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Default Does it really matter?

Yes. There are a lot of people leaving the state. However, there are many moving in also. Don't forget globalization.

From what I can see, the people moving into Boston area are people highly educated (MS and Phds) and mostly foreign born. You will notice many more people from Asia and Europe as you go to shopping areas. Many are fairly well paid or with money. Boston is also the Mutual Fund capital. These managers/VPs making $250K+ (and many make much more.. some bonus is more than $1million) can easily replace 10 people with $60K. The economy in MA will still be fine.... just move upscale.

There are also high number of immigrants from South America (Brazil) to fill the low end jobs. So, you better have skills that companies want. You can also see the poverty line moving (on Boston map)... poor people are forced out... just look at combat zone, Huntington Ave, South Boston, Chinatown/leather district, ... they are much improved. I recall no one wanted to get close to some of those areas (dark, broken windows, vacated...) now they rent for 1000s... condos are being built. In another 30 years, we may not have the same opinion about Roxbury...

The people squeezed out are retiree; poor people; former middle or lower middle class; Certain number of college grad... it is a very competitive world out there... there are 1000s of grad next year... its either up or out. I think moving means we're not competitive enough. I think our governor need to push for policies that encourage innovations. It is the only way we stay competitive... lowing cost is just one factor... (health care is a big problem) Bay area in CA is more expensive... but there are more companies and jobs there...

So... where would one go if one choose to go? Is GA or NC better? All the newer booming areas like AZ, NV, FL,... the real estate are crashing harder than MA.... Guess where the real estate is still going up? NYC... Seattle... Oregon... (competitive and innovative places)

Check out Channel 5 Chronicle.... Future of Boston
'FutureBOSTON' Looks At What's Ahead For City - Chronicle HD News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/chronicle/14300524/detail.html - broken link)

Last edited by smarty; 01-06-2008 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
The people leaving are largely the "young family" age people. The average age in Mass. (or is it median?) is relatively old. The average education level and income level is quite high (although clustered around Boston area). When people point out that Boston's population has fallen in the past decades, that's true. What isn't pointed out is that the nature of the population isn't being pointed out. If families with children or multiple children move out, and childfree and empty nest people move in/stay, the overall numbers go down, but that doesn't mean the city is failing, just that it is changing.

That said, I do wish housing would be more affordable, for everyone.It does seem that housing costs rule people's lives far more than is healthy (just as the need for health insurance rules so much of our employment choices and options).
When I decided I had to buy, it was 1987. I decided if I couldn't find a way to buy something that at least somewhat suited me, I'd leave town. I had my eye on Minneapolis at the time. However, the amount of money I felt I need to relocate was enough for a down payment on the tiniest condo ever sold to Upright Man. (Lee Street in Cambridge).

Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
What is interesting is other "high-priced" places haven't seen the same % in decline of population as MA has. I have quite a few friends who have left the state and others who are seriously considering it. If MA was losing some people it wouldn't be too bad, but I don't think it is a good thing when you lose your 24-35 year old population. That hurts your main working force. And when looking at median incomes at other cities in more affordable areas, it is similar to Boston.

I know biotech is hugh in this state, but it only accounts for 2.4% of the jobs. MA lost something like 3.6% of jobs in the last 6 years, only Michigan was worse in the 6% range. The state can still recover but they need to make it more business friendly. The weather here will always be the same and I don't see the politics changing much, so not much you can do about that.

I almost moved when I graduated college, then decided to stay in my home state when I started my job and then decided I'd save and buy a home. Home prices went way up, my salary only slightly increased (I made decent money), and I can only afford a small house which will need some updating. I don't want to be house-poor either, I'd rather rent and save some $, then do that.

This all could be a cycle and MA could boom in 5 or 10 years. I know one thing though, salary has to catch up with cost-of-living conditions before many people will consider MA. I think if expenses remain high, then your going to lose lots of educated people to other regions of the country and this will hurt your tax base and state in the long run. The booming areas will have their own issues of growth to deal with in the coming years also.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post

There are also high number of immigrants from South America (Brazil) to fill the low end jobs.
Brazilians are starting to leave certain parts of the state now.

CapeCodTimes.com - Hopes dashed, Brazilians going homebsb

Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
What is interesting is other "high-priced" places haven't seen the same % in decline of population as MA has.
Exactly... why do other cities and state thrive when their housing cost is even higher than MA? Why do people there stay?

I think it is the attraction or promise of a dangling carrot/gold... that you can get that piece of gold... in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts