Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 PM

660 posts, read 1,541,415 times

Advertisements

My son lives in Pittsfield, so I am thinking of moving that direction from Chicopee. At the moment, though, my work has me in Chicopee and I'm not sure I would want to (or be able to afford it) commute two hours a day.

It would be NICE to live in the same town as my son, but I'm trying to be practical here.

Not having any family up here (other than my son) I worry that the loneliness when my son isn't with me, and seemingly not having much to do in the Pittsfield area, would be too much. Any good "small towns" half-way between Chicopee and Pittsfield?

I do enjoy hanging out at Wal-Mart (tell-tale sign of loneliness, LOL!) and maybe doing things like bowling, hiking, walking trails, fishing, boating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Bump. No opinions on any towns between Pittsfield and Chicopee? Is that the Twilight Zone?

Old 04-22-2010, 05:11 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,101,435 times
maybe you could try westfield,they have a wal mart and it is right on the pike for easy access to pittsfield and chicopee.but there really isn't that much for renters in between though two.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 PM

I really need some friends that DON'T drink or smoke (hope I'm not being too judgmental) and that happen to love the western part of Massachusetts. Some co-workers have suggested that we all go out bowling or something, and one co-worker has hinted that she has a slight crush on me (but that probably won't happen because of nepotism rules), so who knows? I just know that hanging out at Wal-Mart in Chicopee isn't that bad, but the only friends I seem to be making in that place are the odd employee (a guy) that's always smiling at me and following me around....creepy!..... and the hole in my pocket.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
I'd say that you should buy a paper map of Western MA. Post it on a wall. As you take trips to visit your son, systematically start stopping at towns along the way. Find the main streets in each town and walk around them. Find a local coffee shop and grab a bite to eat and soak in the local atmosphere. Grab a copy of the town's local paper and browse the classifieds. Or maybe check out their town hall or public library's bulletin boards for housing ads. See what places feel good to you. If you see some nice parks, visit in the afternoon and see what kids are playing there. See if you can visualize taking your son to these parks one day.

I think that it's best to investigate new places in person.

As to making friends, think about what activities you like to do, and then find other local people that have the same likes. Maybe that Meetup.com site can help you out. You have Springfield very close by, so there is the potential for a good social life for you. Also, investigate adult or continuing ed classes in your area. They are cheap and a great way to meet new people. Check out your local community center, town hall and public library for posters about local events. Be a volunteer for a charity event. Just get out there and meet as many new people as possible.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 AM

I know some would think I'm 18 years or something, as inexperience in life as I sound sometimes.

After 37 years I'm ashamed to say that I have been living under a rock. My co-workers are talking up this bowling thing more and more. I might have to check it out. Maybe this time around my bowling experience will be better. The last time I was in a church league someone had left their talcum powder beside the thingy where the balls roll out. I thought the talcum powder was CHALK so I rubbed some on my hand.

Well, all I can say is that when I went to release the ball, the ball never left my hand. Oh, I followed through with my shot, it's just that the hand (and ball) kept on going straight up into the air, and down came crashing the ball with my hand stuck to it.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 PM

I'm checking out that meetup.com website, before going to the site I had envisioned it as a dating site (no thanks), LOL!!

My therapist was telling me today that I do need to find something to do with my time besides working and sleeping. I am lonely, that's for sure.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Do you like animals? What about getting a pet? Or volunteering at an animal shelter? Walking a dog is a great way to meet new people.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:40 AM

I DO love animals, when I was in Kentucky I had 2 dogs, 2 cats and 11 chickens (started out with 24 but a hawk made off like a bandit, leaving "crop circles" of feathers on the ground)

Right now I'm trying to get extra work with my employer, I'll have to look into volunteering at an animal shelter (maybe even volunteer at a homeless shelter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts