Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM

14 posts, read 53,904 times

Advertisements

I am an IT techie moving to MA from OR for a job and to settle down in or near Westboro. I need a safe cat/dog environment to rent (house preferred) until my husband can join me a few months out. I really enjoy small towns, lots of country, and down-to-earth people. A 30 minute drive seems OK. Any recommendations? Any areas that I should avoid? Anything I should know, in general?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
There are plenty of rentals in Worcester, Shrewsbury, Westboro, Marlborough, Framingham,... depend on your budget and expectations.

If you really want country... you may have to move west and/or South of Worcester.

Last edited by smarty; 01-06-2008 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-06-2008, 07:32 PM

14 posts, read 53,904 times
Thanks for the quick reply. Budget would be $1500 max. Expecting one bedroom, furnished if possible, in a nice neighborhood. What's nice to me? Older homes/buildings, renovated, coffee shops, bookstores nearby (no walmart, costco, target), no hwy very close. Simple living, but upper middle class neighborhood. Safe to take a walk by myself in the evening, safe to ask my neighbor to borrow sugar :-) Thoughts?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
When we talk about country... our thoughts are no side walk... your next door neighbor is quarter mile away... Also, Chain stores like Dunkin Donut and Starbucks is it... nothing like coffee shops in Portland. Bookstores are B+N or Borders.... If you want small bookstores, you'll have to go into Brookline and Cambridge.

Upper middle class neighborhoods are mostly inside Rt495 loop like Wellesley, Newton, Sudbury, Concord, Dover, Sherborn, Wayland, Southborough, ... etc. Westboro and Shrewsbury are nice town west of Rt495. It sounds like you want a nice suburb. Most towns are safe to borrow sugar from your neighbor... only cities may not be as safe. (City has population much higher than town)

1-bedroom house? Buildable lot in a nice town can be $200-400K. Most will build as big of a house as possible to sell for $700K-$1million. There are plenty of 1-bedroom apartments in the towns I previously mentioned in your price range. I'm not sure about the price furnished and short term rental. Your dog/cat may also be a problem with furnished place. You probably better off working with a relocation agent to check on corporate housing.

Unfortunately, most corporate housing are near some major road or highway for easy access.... Btw... people here don't walk much during winter... even with sidewalk... high in 30s... with ice and snow on the ground... even dogs want to stay inside.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:30 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Finding a rental that takes dogs can be very difficult. I don't know much about house rentals. I don't think there are that many, to be honest. Some corporate relocation apartment complexes do allow dogs, but they're hardly in the country or anything.

In my town of Littleton (about 15 miles straight south to Westboro on I-495) there are often smaller houses for rent. Modest, to be sure, but it's a lake area, so there are smaller houses. Utterly safe, very friendly and unpretentious. In fact, I saw a modest house one house over from the lake beach, Long Lake. Lovely neighborhoods. (Disclosure- I've lived in Littleton for 15 years, own a house and have four dogs, and find it a lovely town, very well located for commuting up and down I-495 ,or Rt. 2, or southern New Hampshire. Perfect location.
I used Cowley Real Estate in Littleton to buy. If there are rentals, I'm sure they'd know about it, even if they're not the handling agents.
People walk all season, including with dogs. In the Long Lake area, there are no sidewalks and virtually no traffic, and people walk on the streets as soon as they're cleared after any snow. It has a rural feel from its past without being remote.
As you can see, I think it's a great place. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 AM

735 posts, read 3,502,199 times
You might try Westborough itself. MLS: 70616731 $1495

There are also rental communities like Avalon Bay- the location at Flanders Hill accepts pets. Not sure on their availability.

Either way, Westborough is a nice country town with plenty of shopping on RT 9.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
From my own research with four dogs, Windsor Green in Westborough sounded like the best bet and very affordable. Very nice sounding staff and the apartment/homes are townhomes with your own entrance and mail with great storage. A two bedroom was running less than $1500! Finding a private residence that will take dogs can be a daunting task, believe me.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:14 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Finding a rental that takes dogs can be very difficult.
Agreed. MA homeowners generally do not want to rent houses to people with pets. Apartments may restrict pets to 1 small dog or cat only.
But, maybe with the housing market the way it is, it might be easier to locate a "pet rental" now than it used to be. I'd advise starting to look for a place a.s.a.p. Might be hard to find a house (as opposed to an apartment) for $1500. Best of luck.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:17 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_ore View Post
I am an IT techie moving to MA from OR for a job and to settle down in or near Westboro. I need a safe cat/dog environment to rent (house preferred) until my husband can join me a few months out. I really enjoy small towns, lots of country, and down-to-earth people. A 30 minute drive seems OK. Any recommendations? Any areas that I should avoid? Anything I should know, in general?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
Try looking for all types of rental on Craigslist for the areas you are interested in.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:30 AM

967 posts, read 4,786,574 times
Just another thought - I would also think there are plenty of homeowners selling their homes that might be open to a short-term rental through the winter and early spring if they've already moved to a new place. In terms of quiet towns, Berlin, Boylston, and Upton are very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts