Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:50 PM

48 posts, read 54,782 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a house in Stoughton and our closing date is in June. I have done a lot of research and truly believe that this was a good choice for me and my husband.
Beautiful home in a quiet neighborhood,
1.5 miles from the center of town,
Close to restaurants and amenities and access to the commuter

We both work in Boston. We are 27 with no children and are moving from South Boston.

Our focus is; 1.us and our happiness and 2. our future with kids. Both weighed heavily on our decision and within out budget (under 400K), Stoughton on paper had average school system and proximity to the city.

I made the decision to choose Stoughton even after reading the threads on this site, where 1. no one really said it was a horrible town, 2. people only mentioned it's downfalls (of which it shares with much of the south shore) and 3. People generally consider it an average, not bad, not great, town.

So my questions is;
Can any one please tell me some of the positive things? I know there are. I know many people from Stoughton who love it, but I would like to hear some of the good things; i.e. events, your experiences, schools, anything. I have already read the negatives and have appreciated them, as well, but I just want to hear some real life positive reviews to get me more excited.

I notice on these threads that if you are not a top of the line district, you don't get much space on here for positive reviews. The middle class towns usually are mentioned when being compared to places like Hingham or Newton, etc. Those towns are just unrealistic for me to live in (over 400K homes) so I would like to hear some news about Stoughton

I know people are going to respond with "Why are you asking if you are comfortable with your decision," and before you can do so it is because I want to get a dialogue going so that it can ease my mind and maybe other's who are considering the area.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 12:54 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
You already moved from Weymouth? Within a month? How are you moving from South Boston when you bought in and lived in Weymouth in January?

Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
The YMCA in Stoughton is really nice. I believe it used to be a JCC. There are some nice neighborhoods in Stoughton and I have several friends that grew up in the town who say nice things about it. Personally, I think it's nice that there are so many shops/restaurants in town. I believe in the center of town there's a theater that serves food and beer which is cool. Plus, it's located pretty much in between Boston and Providence so you have access to two major cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You already moved from Weymouth? Within a month? How are you moving from South Boston when you bought in and lived in Weymouth in January?
That's very strange! I do see in January the OP had posted that they just closed on a house in South Weymouth. I guess they didn't like Weymouth.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:13 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,928 times
Stoughton has an Ikea, case closed.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:14 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Good things about Stoughton: Town Spa Pizza

Old 02-11-2015, 01:26 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

That's very strange! I do see in January the OP had posted that they just closed on a house in South Weymouth. I guess they didn't like Weymouth.

Well. Apparently they left Weymouth, moved to South Boston (according to this post), and now bought in Stoughton, all within a few weeks.

That's quite a feat!!!

Old 02-11-2015, 01:44 PM

417 posts, read 734,097 times
my guess is gokav didnt really "buy"/ close. he prob had an accepted offer that fell through at inspection or something.

but yes, stoughton has town spa! (and a ton of other stores/restaurants) plus the train station.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:

The inspection did not go well in Weymouth so we did not end up taking the house . It's still a sore subject lol but I love this new house in Stoughton!

Old 02-11-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The YMCA in Stoughton is really nice. I believe it used to be a JCC. There are some nice neighborhoods in Stoughton and I have several friends that grew up in the town who say nice things about it. Personally, I think it's nice that there are so many shops/restaurants in town. I believe in the center of town there's a theater that serves food and beer which is cool. Plus, it's located pretty much in between Boston and Providence so you have access to two major cities.

Still love Weymouth, but the inspection proved that the house was not in good shape. Oh, what a fresh coat of paint and a renovated bathroom can hide!!!

Old 02-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Well. Apparently they left Weymouth, moved to South Boston (according to this post), and now bought in Stoughton, all within a few weeks.

That's quite a feat!!!
Nope, not quite. We (still) live in South Boston, put an offer on a house in Weymouth, which then failed the inspection. We found another dream home in Stoughton. We are still in South Boston, but our move date is not until June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts