Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Stoughton should put a train tunnel under Stoughton Center?
Yes 2 28.57%
No 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times

Advertisements

So do you think that Stoughton should put an underground station under Stoughton center
This is the link.
Stoughton underground tunnel - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 03:32 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Something needs to be done if Southcoast Rail goes through, that's for sure. "Depressing" it and tunneling aren't necessarily the same thing. If these people want it depressed, that simply means sinking it below grade (street level) a-la I-90 through Boston before you hit the Pru tunnel) and having the top open. This is far cheaper than building an actual tunnel and it allows for the town to sell of "air rights" above the sunken rail for development (which can really make a good chunk of the cost back). This seems more likely than an actual tunnel (though the tunnel would be nice).

Tunneling through Stoughton Center would be expensive. Much more so than Hingham as Stoughton Center is FAR more built up. However, with the high number of pedestrians, cars already there, some step needs to be taken to accomodate the additional rail traffic to Fall River/ New Bedford. At-grade rail is just incredibly dangerous in that congested of an area ESPECIALLY if you're adding MORE trains. The problem is that the Southcoast Rail is slated to cost $1.4 billion already and a tunneling project will cost a lot in addition.

It's worth adding, that the Stoughton alternative IS the final selection for this project. I can't tell you how I know this, but the Stoughton alternative is the chosen route for Southcoast Rail and that's the final verdict. I know there are three "alternatives" (Stoughton, Attleboro, Rapid Bus) technically on the table, but it's Stoughton. The bus alternative has been on the table to appease opponents to rail for a while but has never been seriously considerd by officials (again, not just ranting, I have intimate knowledge of this) and Attleboro doesn't make any sense due to additional ride time. Stoughton IS the alternative that they are using and you can take it to the bank.

If the funding gets secured (big if, even in the "stimulus" era), the rail will go through Stoughton. That being the case, something needs to be done to protect Stoughton Center from additional rail traffic. Furthermore, sinking it could allow for better pedestrian use there. I've always been fond of Stoughton Center and a tunnel could make it all that much easier to navigate on foot.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
I was about to suggest a bridge but no a sunken rail makes a lot more sense. I think the T can do manage that as they already did it to parts of the Greenbush Line.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Let us see...another train station that may be in need but that citizens of MA will have to pay for. I'm sure Stoughton wants it but let them pay for it or find private funding for it. I've already seen enough problems with the MBTA and other government agencies. I do not want to put my money into another wasteful project.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:31 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Let us see...another train station that may be in need but that citizens of MA will have to pay for. I'm sure Stoughton wants it but let them pay for it or find private funding for it. I've already seen enough problems with the MBTA and other government agencies. I do not want to put my money into another wasteful project.
Stoughton already has a train station. The proposal discussed here would be what to do with the with the extension of the Stoughton line if it is expanded down to the south coast.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Stoughton already has a train station. The proposal discussed here would be what to do with the with the extension of the Stoughton line if it is expanded down to the south coast.
Exactly. I've met many in Stoughton who are lukewarm to not thrilled about this extension because really all it means is more rail traffic through their town. The communities that benefit the most from this rail project would be on the Southcoast... namely Fall River and New Bedford (Taunton too).

Towns like Easton and Raynham are the ones most adamantly opposed to this project.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Exactly. I've met many in Stoughton who are lukewarm to not thrilled about this extension because really all it means is more rail traffic through their town. The communities that benefit the most from this rail project would be on the Southcoast... namely Fall River and New Bedford (Taunton too).

Towns like Easton and Raynham are the ones most adamantly opposed to this project.
I once met a guy from down there (forgot which town) who was opposed to the rail project because he feared the railroad would bring inner city hoodlums to his backyard. I can imagine that with smart planning, there will be positive growth along the corridor instead though.

What I don't understand is that people keep mentioning this project as something totally new but it isn't because a railroad once ran through the exact same corridor. At one time, private railroad companies such as the Old Colony, the New Haven, and the Boston and Maine ran passenger interurban trains between cities like Boston and Fall River. People bought tickets as they would plane tickets and only the growing popularity of the automobile doomed these train lines. Has the place changed that much that everyone has forgotten about the railroad?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I once met a guy from down there (forgot which town) who was opposed to the rail project because he feared the railroad would bring inner city hoodlums to his backyard. I can imagine that with smart planning, there will be positive growth along the corridor instead though.

What I don't understand is that people keep mentioning this project as something totally new but it isn't because a railroad once ran through the exact same corridor. At one time, private railroad companies such as the Old Colony, the New Haven, and the Boston and Maine ran passenger interurban trains between cities like Boston and Fall River. People bought tickets as they would plane tickets and only the growing popularity of the automobile doomed these train lines. Has the place changed that much that everyone has forgotten about the railroad?
I agree. I'm in 100% support of this project (the Stoughton alternative rail, not the bus) as I believe it will bring positive economic growth to Fall River, New Bedford and Taunton as well as the other communities along the corridor. The commuter rail (not only in Boston, but other cities as well) has more often than not been a key factor in INCREASING the value of homes in the areas where it passes through while DECREASING crime (due to the increased appeal of the area with commuter rail access). The economic benefits are extraordinary. The examples of this are nearly endless. The argument that the commuter rail is going to bring "crime and hoodlums" is not only borderline crazy, it's just not based in reality. It's a desperate reach by people who want so badly to find a problem with having the rail.

As far as the existing rail goes, it's not that people are pretending that the railbeds didn't exist, it's that they're trying to make the argument that NEW service will be detrimental to the area.

The primary area for this is the Hockomock Swamp in the Easton area. The residents who live near where service will pass through don't like the idea of a train passing by. Since that isn't a valid argument for not extending service to hundreds of thousands of people, they need to find another way to make their opposition heard and understood. To do this, they're embracing what many call the "Red Herring" approach. These normal residents have become environmental activists overnight. The Hockomock Swamp is the battleground. The opposition to the rail is painting this area as a pristine wilderness that cannot be disturbed! They fail to mention that highways such as Route 24, Route 138, and 106 already pass through here on TOP of an existing railbed that would be utilized for the rail. To add to that, the Southcoast Rail would take MANY cars of off Routes 24 and 138 (which pass through the swamp) and likely reduce human harm on the swamp.

The bottom line is that it's essentially a desperate reach to derail (no pun intended) this project. The Army Corps of Engineers has found nothing to date to show that any protected species would be at risk because of the rail passing through. Furthermore, the MBTA's plan to electrify all rail projects in the near future would make this even cleaner and quieter. There is very little substance in the argument that this rail project will hurt the environment or do anything to add crime to the area or decrease home values.

If anything stops this project it's going to be the budget. $1.4 billion is a ton of money. Without major federal subsidies, there's no way Mass. Taxpayers can afford it. I can sympathize with ANYONE who isn't thrilled with footing that bill; especially if they don't live in the areas that benefit from this (it's worth noting, much of that money is going to go to South Station improvements and expansion that does benefit more than just the Southcoast). I can also sympathize with those (particularly in places like Taunton and Stoughton) who fear that rail coming through heavily populated areas will be dangerous to drivers and pedestrians. Action needs to be taken to assure that safety will not be compromised (which is why I support burying the rail through Stoughton Center). I can even sympathize with those who don't like the prospect of train noise and vibrations near their homes. However, that's no reason to deprive so many more people of an incredibly useful service and a real economic boost.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,534 times
I thought that the tunnel under downtown Hingham was a tremendously stupid waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts